What's new

News Okinawa: Pointless Profiling Patrol

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
15 Mar 2002
米軍犯罪パトロールに気象台や労働局職員も… 「本業どうなる」と悲鳴 (沖縄タイムス) - Yahoo!ニュース

沖縄でパトロール隊が始動 米軍属事件受け政府 | 沖縄タイムス+プラス ニュース | 沖縄タイムス+プラス

In reaction to the ex-Marine murder/rape in Okinawa earlier this year some government entity in Okinawa has decided to institute special patrols to prevent crimes by American military personnel.

National government management-level employees in departments having nothing whatsoever to do with law enforcement are being sent out in pairs to ride around in cars with a flashing blue light on the roof and signs on the doors that don't even have the balls to announce themselves as The Gaijin Watch Program, which is exactly what they are.

Twenty cars are being used to patrol and patrols are done three nights a week, from 7 until 10 in the evening, after the employees have done their regular work during the day.

The ones being ordered to do the patrols are not the least bit happy about doing them and they and their unions are protesting tbe extra assignments and asking for them to end. Some complain that they feel like they're just an extension of a PTA patrol.

What are they supposed to be doing? Shadowing gaijins down the street to make sure they don't murder people on the sidewalk? Calling out to Japanese people to stay away from the gaijins? I get tbs idea the people doing the patrols are also a little perplexed about just what the hell it is they're supposed to be doing.

The government should at least have the balls to make the door signs on the patrol cars say what they really are, in both English and Japanese.

Last edited:
米軍犯罪パトロールに気象台や労働局職員も… 「本業どうなる」と悲鳴 (沖縄タイムス) - Yahoo!ニュース

沖縄でパトロール隊が始動 米軍属事件受け政府 | 沖縄タイムス+プラス ニュース | 沖縄タイムス+プラス

In reaction to the ex-Marine murder/rape in Okinawa earlier this year some government entity in Okinawa has decided to institute special patrols to prevent crimes by American military personnel.

National government management-level employees in departments having nothing whatsoever to do with law enforcement are being sent out in pairs to ride around in cars with a flashing blue light on the roof and signs on the doors that don't even have the balls to announce themselves as The Gaijin Watch Program, which is exactly what they are.

Twenty cars are being used to patrol and patrols are done three nights a week, from 7 until 10 in the evening, after the employees have done their regular work during the day.

The ones being ordered to do the patrols are not the least bit happy about doing them and they and their unions are protesting tbe extra assignments and asking for them to end. Some complain that they feel like they're just an extension of a PTA patrol.

What are they supposed to be doing? Shadowing gaijins down the street to make sure they don't murder people on the sidewalk? Calling out to Japanese people to stay away from the gaijins? I get tbs idea the people doing the patrols are also a little perplexed about just what the hell it is they're supposed to be doing.

The government should at least have the balls to make the door signs on the patrol cars say what they really are, in both English and Japanese.

I wonder how the situation is around Kadena Air Base. Usually the airmen are well behaved.

Joking, yes.

No, I don't live there, but do hope for some slow time on a few of the outer islands.

Hmm, I'll be retiring soon. Maybe I could get a job doing that?
Next, on "To Catch a Gaijin," we recruit other foreigners to help us better profile people and randomly stop them to make sure they aren't causing trouble in our peaceful country. Stay tuned after this string of celebrity endorsements that would be embarrassing anywhere else.

On a serious note, the officials must just be scrambling to think of something that at least makes it look like they're doing something to prevent this from happening again. Too bad they don't seem to realize that someone's nationality or occupation bears no weight in determining whether they're a violent criminal or not...

Back
Top Bottom