What's new

Nice time of the year to get good news.

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
Had a hour and a half MRI yesterday checking for cancer. I had 25 years exposure to asbestos and a growth on my pancreas , so I get checked every year. Just got an E-Mail from my doctor saying everything looks just fine. Hopefully got a few more years here on JREF.
200.gif

That is great! By a strange coincidence I had a coworker who is local to me die of pancreatic cancer yesterday (seriously). He was only 62. It all happened very fast. That is scary stuff. I have not heard of a connection of asbestos and cancer of the pancreas but I suppose nothing would surprise me in that area.

My father's business was a large automotive company with tons of dangerous chemicals and little awareness when it first started out. Out of the 50 workers who were there for many years about 35 died of all different kinds of cancers. The engine rebuilding departments had acid vats big enough to put a small car in that cooked all day and gave off steam that would stink up your clothes and hair. We carried about 75 different chemicals and often when we unloaded them off delivery trucks , they would leak and get on you. We relined clutches & brake shoes with asbestos products for many years. When I would open the boxes to take inventory , I looked like a snowman , covered in asbestos dust. Interesting , the ones of us who are still alive are the ones who did not smoke or drink. About the time the government & scientists started talking about the dangers , my dad sold the company & retired. He died of an unknown lung issue just 2 years later. I started working in the office when I was just 7 years old in the summer time. I did paper work for inventory control. At around 10 years old , I worked in the shop in the summer , learning about all the different jobs and enjoying working with my hands. At 14 , I got my driver's license and did pick-ups & delivery. By age 25 I was running the parts warehouse and doing purchasing of about 4 million dollars a year. I still regret not becoming a state police officer , but dear ol dad said I owed it to the family to work in the family business. I feel my last 20 working years as a home care nurse were way more satisfying than the automotive business. Well , by now , most of you should be asleep , LOL.

My father's business was a large automotive company with tons of dangerous chemicals and little awareness when it first started out. Out of the 50 workers who were there for many years about 35 died of all different kinds of cancers. The engine rebuilding departments had acid vats big enough to put a small car in that cooked all day and gave off steam that would stink up your clothes and hair. We carried about 75 different chemicals and often when we unloaded them off delivery trucks , they would leak and get on you. We relined clutches & brake shoes with asbestos products for many years. When I would open the boxes to take inventory , I looked like a snowman , covered in asbestos dust. Interesting , the ones of us who are still alive are the ones who did not smoke or drink. About the time the government & scientists started talking about the dangers , my dad sold the company & retired. He died of an unknown lung issue just 2 years later. I started working in the office when I was just 7 years old in the summer time. I did paper work for inventory control. At around 10 years old , I worked in the shop in the summer , learning about all the different jobs and enjoying working with my hands. At 14 , I got my driver's license and did pick-ups & delivery. By age 25 I was running the parts warehouse and doing purchasing of about 4 million dollars a year. I still regret not becoming a state police officer , but dear ol dad said I owed it to the family to work in the family business. I feel my last 20 working years as a home care nurse were way more satisfying than the automotive business. Well , by now , most of you should be asleep , LOL.
Wow. Then you are fortunate indeed. That was a high risk environment for sure. I'm glad you're well.

Can't believe my good luck is still happening. We are due to get the first big snow storm tonight here in Maine. My snow blower has been in the shop for 4 months waiting for repair parts. They just now delivered it all fixed and ready for the big storm. This old snow blower has been saving my butt for almost 15 years and I'm so happy to have it back in my garage!
200.gif

I've read recently that some things that need repairing cannot be done right away, due to the same supply chain problems that you've heard about for new stuff. Parts and so on are being held up as well.

Congrats on the clear scan!

Back
Top Bottom