What's new

Need info on 3 Japanese characters

Aparks

Registered
30 Jul 2020
Okay I read some of the articles about people making fun of everybody for asking these questions, but my boyfriend is a tattoo artist ,and he is just wanting to give this girl the best tattoo she can get. She is wanting 3 Japanese symbols on her forarm. I am needing to know what the correct symbols are for love, loyalty, and family and if it changes the meaning if you stack them one on top of the other going down from the elbow to the wrist.

Okay I read some of the articles about people making fun of everybody for asking these questions, but my boyfriend is a tattoo artist ,and he is just wanting to give this girl the best tattoo she can get. She is wanting 3 Japanese symbols on her forarm. I am needing to know what the correct symbols are for love, loyalty, and family and if it changes the meaning if you stack them one on top of the other going down from the elbow to the wrist.
If you stack them together a person who knows Japanese will try to read them and probably conclude somebody was trying to make a word incorrectly.
Or sometimes it may actually make a word. So it's best to space them out or artfully separate them so they don't look like a unit.
If you want single kanjis (not words) with these meanings I would consider:

族 (family/tribe/clan)
愛 (love)
忠 (loyalty)

but wait for people with more expertise than me to chime in.

愛 is OK, and 忠 is acceptable, but a single kanji 族 can't represent "family". See the following thread.

If you can use compound words, not three single kanji, the best choice is 愛情, 忠誠 and 家族 for love, loyalty, and family, respectively.

Back
Top Bottom