What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Need info on 3 Japanese characters

Aparks

Registered
Reaction score
Okay I read some of the articles about people making fun of everybody for asking these questions, but my boyfriend is a tattoo artist ,and he is just wanting to give this girl the best tattoo she can get. She is wanting 3 Japanese symbols on her forarm. I am needing to know what the correct symbols are for love, loyalty, and family and if it changes the meaning if you stack them one on top of the other going down from the elbow to the wrist.

mdchachi

Reaction score
Okay I read some of the articles about people making fun of everybody for asking these questions, but my boyfriend is a tattoo artist ,and he is just wanting to give this girl the best tattoo she can get. She is wanting 3 Japanese symbols on her forarm. I am needing to know what the correct symbols are for love, loyalty, and family and if it changes the meaning if you stack them one on top of the other going down from the elbow to the wrist.
If you stack them together a person who knows Japanese will try to read them and probably conclude somebody was trying to make a word incorrectly.
Or sometimes it may actually make a word. So it's best to space them out or artfully separate them so they don't look like a unit.
If you want single kanjis (not words) with these meanings I would consider:

族 (family/tribe/clan)
愛 (love)
忠 (loyalty)

but wait for people with more expertise than me to chime in.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
愛 is OK, and 忠 is acceptable, but a single kanji 族 can't represent "family". See the following thread.

If you can use compound words, not three single kanji, the best choice is 愛情, 忠誠 and 家族 for love, loyalty, and family, respectively.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom