What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Vertical Japanese translation

Jubei869

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to have a phrase in english text translated into vertical japanese. The phrase is: "In the path of a warrior, fear does not exist." I have tried asking around. But have had no luck. Any assistance would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Jubei869

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, spell check changed it. I just noticed it. its supposed to say "In the path of a warrior, fear does not walk." Can it be written vertically with the break in the phrase side by side?

Last edited:

mdchachi

Reaction score
You can break up the sentence, sure. It goes top-down, right-left such as

1615855666663.png

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Sorry, spell check changed it. I just noticed it. its supposed to say "In the path of a warrior, fear does not walk." Can it be written vertically with the break in the phrase side by side?
Tatoo?

mdchachi

Reaction score
It might be, but its for my uniform. Thank you sooo very much!!!
Were you looking for "does not walk" or "does not exist"? What I gave you was "does not exist."
But it's harder to translate "fear does not walk" because the literal translation of fear walking may be confusing.

Jubei869

Registered
Reaction score
"Fear does not walk" but i believe that "does not exist" works as well. Would you agree?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
It's quite hard to choose a verb to mean both "to walk" and "to exist" in Japanese. "To exist" would sound more natural in Japanese, I believe. Anyway, here's my attempt for "to exist." (The right one sounds more classical.)

mononofu.jpg

Reaction score
A question, what is this vertical translation (and writting)?? And what is it for?

I think Ive never seen before (except for manga probably)

mdchachi

Reaction score
There is no differentiation between "vertical Japanese" and horizontal in terms of grammar or anything. Just like you can write English vertically if you want.
Traditionally writing is vertical and that's how it normally is in printed form even now in newspapers and books.

Reaction score
I didnt know (thanks)

Is there any situation that Vertical writting is the expected or correct form? Or its always optional

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Japanese newspapers are written vertically. Japanese novels, texts, and most historical documents are written vertically. Japanese handwritten letters are typically written vertically.

The defaul setting on computers for writing any text is horizontal, and so most correspondance that is done on email is done horizontally.

Its a versatile language. Any student studying the language will probablly be better off writing horizontally.

mdchachi

Reaction score
Note, it's vertically right to left. Books will open "backwards" compared to English books.
I found this utterly fascinating demonstration showing how to read a book in Japanese (vertically no less).
You can try watching it at 2x speed and see if you can keep up.

Reaction score
True, like mangas

Are letters written right to left (when vertical) too?
(And horizontally is it always (and not only letters now I mean) left to right?)

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
True, like mangas

Are letters written right to left (when vertical) too?
(And horizontally is it always (and not only letters now I mean) left to right?)
When written vertically, each line is read top to bottom (ABCD), right to left (starting on the right and moving left: rows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

QMIEA
RNJFB
SOKGC
TPLHD

When written horizontally, it's left to right (each row), top to bottom
1ABCD
2EFGH
3IJKL
4MNOP
5QRST

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
日本語 Class,

Centuries ago, kanji were written from right to left. (A strong western influence since the end of WWII has convinced Japanese and Chinese people to “join the rest of the world” and begin writing from left to right.) Many Buddhist temples in Japan and China (and probably Korea too) still have signs painted right to left because these signs were painted centuries ago.

Take a look at this image from the Forbidden City in Beijing, China. The sign at the top, "正大光明", is written right to left. Even today, in Japan, it is very common to see ancient Buddhist temple signs painted right to left.

Top Bottom