What's new

Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask!

Which is the correct kanji for 'pattern'? 型? 形? I know that in karate they have 'required kata' or required forms a beginning karate practitioner must practice. I think they are called 'required kata' or 'compulsory kata'. How to say 'required karate kata' in this way?

Which is the correct kanji for 'pattern'? 型? 形?
形 is more common in many schools, but 型 is also used mostly in Okinawan karate.

形(かた)
武道・伝統芸能・スポーツなどにおいて規範となる方式。「型」という漢字をあてることもある。

武道の形。剣道、居合道、柔道、空手道などの演武や形稽古に用いられる

現在では「型」ではなく「形」と表記する流派が一般的である
型と表記する流派は少林寺流など沖縄本来の古流空手に多い。

形 is used in Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

種目
形(男子/女子)
空手の競技には大きく分けて「形」と「組手」がある。

I know that in karate they have 'required kata' or required forms a beginning karate practitioner must practice. I think they are called 'required kata' or 'compulsory kata'. How to say 'required karate kata' in this way?
It's simply 形 (or 型).

There are many Japanese proficient people here who would be more than happy to help you with kanji questions. What does this character mean? What is the character for such and such?
Ask away!
No question is "too stupid", and we promise to be nice in our replies! (This is a thread to help, so negative comments are not welcome here!)
Hello Mikawa Ossan, hello everyone, I own an object sign in what I believe to be Kanji language. I would really appreciate if someone could help me find out what it says. I truly love Japanese art. Thank you all

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200830_150825_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200830_150825_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 245
Hello Camille, I can't read it, but the writing and the seal say the same thing. It would be the artist's name.
Maybe one of our native Japanese posters can figure it out. (Or maybe a picture of the whole sign will help us figure it out?)

Hi
Can someone please identify the 4th kanji in this image? The rest looks to me like 大阪梅(?)幼稚園講堂.
Thanks.

Attachments

• osaka.jpg
    osaka.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 229
Hello,
A friend of mine (not Japanese, just into the style) gave me this panel as a gift and told me it was something like "friendship is forever", but I was not able to verify it with the OCR system with Google translate, and it looks nothing like the Friendship Kanji.... Can someone tell me what it really means?
16102967347851436431392298194697.jpg

It means eternal

Hi, I've got this omamori, and I just can't figure out what it's supposed to mean. It looks like it starts with "new blood" or something, but not quite that, and I just can't figure it out. Thanks for help!

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_203931560.jpg
    IMG_20210110_203931560.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 213
Promotional item for anime series Hikyu!! This is from the 4th series of boxed sets of omamori. available at an online auction site near you.
It says 新血流入 (Infusion of new blood!). Must have some meaning for the series, but its a bit out of my area of expertise.
Yeah, I love Haikyuu!! Thanks so much, it has been bugging me for years.

There are many Japanese proficient people here who would be more than happy to help you with kanji questions. What does this character mean? What is the character for such and such?
Ask away!
No question is "too stupid", and we promise to be nice in our replies! (This is a thread to help, so negative comments are not welcome here!)
I would like help translating some characters please.

I would like help translating some characters please.

Please post your question to this thread if it concerns kanji or here if it's some other type of translation; questions about militaria or good luck flags go here (please start a new thread).

Hey I wonder if I could get help with this in 2021. Doing a project where I'm painting a fake tattoo for a video but I want to get these right. How is this kanji, does it make sense in a list form?

Attachments

• PXL_20210202_005240107.jpg
    PXL_20210202_005240107.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 183
I recommend you try to replicate the correct stroke order and pay attention to lines that cross or don't. e.g. https://jisho.org/search/#kanji
ありがとう! I have been using jisho for stroke order, I think I need to pay attention to where the lines cross and where they don't like you said and take more time. Maybe I should write them big and then scale them down on a computer to fit. I would like it to look well done, as I'll be using a henna type application for the character and it will stay on my actor for a bit so we can do various shots without reapplication.

Hi! I've tried everything I can think of to find the meaning of this kanji, but I just can't find it anywhere. Maybe I'm searching wrong? I was given this jacket as a gift, and I'm dying to know what it means. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 203
It looks like an imitated character made just by gathering kanji components, not a real Japanese kanji, Chinese hanzi or Korean hanja.

It's a made-up kanji from Taiwan, expressing good luck for the new year.
See the second from the bottom of the attached link.

Back
Top Bottom