What's new

Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask!

Good catch! 招財進寶(= 宝) roughly means "Bring fortune", so it's used not only for the new year.;)

This reminds me of a well-known proverb 吾唯足知 carved on a tsukubai in Ryōan-ji, where the same radical/component used for different kanji.

Hello everyone,
I need a artist's name translation from the original kanji. It's a bronze archer that I believe is Meiji period. Many thanks in advance for any help.
Regards Tony

Attachments

• 1E79FCCB-84F9-4932-B264-A9502D2A8AB2.jpeg
    1E79FCCB-84F9-4932-B264-A9502D2A8AB2.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 225
  • E0021EC6-8E4A-4756-80F4-2C924783042B.jpeg
    E0021EC6-8E4A-4756-80F4-2C924783042B.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 215
Hello everyone. I'd like some help in translating two tattoos. Please see attached photos. (Might have to click them to enlarge)

Attachments

• 20210312_191530.jpg
    20210312_191530.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 20210312_191540.jpg
    20210312_191540.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 200
Those are more likely Chinese, not Japanese. The first one means "Always Loving You" or something like that, but the second one doesn't make much sense.

Hi all,
Could you please check what has been written on my seal please so I can use it with confidence.
I don't even know if I have it the right way up 🤦🏼‍♂️
Many thanks
Leighton

Attachments

• 24A771FA-369E-474C-B1EB-B9E827BBAC28.jpeg
    24A771FA-369E-474C-B1EB-B9E827BBAC28.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 170
麗敦

It's an ateji for Leighton. The two kanji are written from right to left in your seal, which is the traditional way of writing.

The direction is correct.

麗敦

It's an ateji for Leighton. The two kanji are written from right to left in your seal, which is the traditional way of writing.

The direction is correct.

Thank you Toritoribe. I know my name is difficult to translate over but it is Leighton then 👍🏻

I did ask for Leight but Leighton is fine.

Hello, all
I am having trouble translating this signature and date on an antique blade.
Regarding the date, I believe I have the last half correct, but I am stuck on the rest. On the date I have:
San
Nen
Hachi
Gatsu
Nichi (or possibly Hi?)
IMG_20210417_203731.jpg
IMG_20210417_204404.jpg

Thank you for any possible help, I understand if the pictures are a little bad. Sorry if this request is long.

泰龍斎宗寛造之
慶応三年八月日

Tairyūsai Sōkan tsukuru kore
Keiō sannen hachigatsu jitsu

Tairyūsai is the art name of the smith. The smith's working name is Sōkan (aka Munehiro). The date is "a day in August 1867".

There are many Japanese proficient people here who would be more than happy to help you with kanji questions. What does this character mean? What is the character for such and such?
Ask away!
No question is "too stupid", and we promise to be nice in our replies! (This is a thread to help, so negative comments are not welcome here!)
Hello friends,
Nice to meet you. A friend gifted me a calligraphy scroll.
Maybe someone could help identify the meaning?
Thank you so much!
Wolfgang

Scroll.jpg

Hard for me to read some of this
れ囗のを行く

れ囗のを行く?

I have zero confidence in anything but the letters in black.
The translation would be: Travelling my path of something (I can't pick out what the something is).

我れ民の先を行く hmm. Doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe Toritoribe-san can help. Kind of his busy season, so he may not have too much time to spend on JREF these days.

Yes, that is correct. Minamoto Morisada saku

"Made by Minamoto Morisada", as you said . Looks slightly suspicious, but as usual with Japanese swords, you should attempt to focus on the sword rather than the signature. (Or, focus on the sword instead of solely on the signature). What I mean by this is, the signature could be a forgery, but the sword could still be an authentic Japanese antique sword.

Last edited:
Was mainly curious about translation. The sword itself appears authentic, though in dire need of a good cleaning. Had to clean a good deal off the signature just so could get a clear picture.

As a side question, anyone ever heard of Minamoto Morisada? Interested in info on the smith, whether the signature is genuine or not.

Last edited:
鼻緒之引合

The hen (left component) of the second kanji looks like gyōninben, but there is no such kanji (Chinese hanzi, either).

It could mean something like "pulling thongs of Japanese sandal" or "inquiry/order of thongs of Japanese sandal". (Yes, it doesn't make much sense, but this is really what is written there.)

The right column would represent the year it's written. It seems a Japanese era name, but there is no era name that contains the second kanji 次.

The left column is 三(or 五)月吉日, meaning "a lucky day in March (or May)".

Anyway, it would be a Japanese one.

There are many Japanese proficient people here who would be more than happy to help you with kanji questions. What does this character mean? What is the character for such and such?
Ask away!
No question is "too stupid", and we promise to be nice in our replies! (This is a thread to help, so negative comments are not welcom
Could you help me translate this into Kanji? "Awata Masashi" Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom