What's new

My thread for asking for translations and so

Sultan

大学生
10 Nov 2015
How to say "How can (or should) I call you" and "I don't know how to call you 〇〇"?

What is your translation?
Kek, ok.
"How should I call you" - 「何名前が言いますか」
"How can I call you" - 「何名前が言ってもいいですか」
"I don't know how to call you" - 「何か名前が言います分かりません」
"Can I call you ..." - 「〇〇が言ってもいいですか」

が indicates the subject, so 名前が言いますか means something like "Does (a)name say?". The same goes to all the rest が.
言います分かりません is ungrammatical.

が indicates the subject, so 名前が言いますか means something like "Does (a)name say?". The same goes to all the rest が.
言います分かりません is ungrammatical.
I don't know which words to use and the grammar needed.
Try #2
"How should I call you" - 「名前は何と言いますか」
"How can I call you" - 「名前は何と言いっても言いますか」
"I don't know how to call you" - 「名前は何と言い分かりません」
"Can I call you ..." - 「名前は〇〇を言ってもいいですか」

I want to write my hometown in Japanese, Izberbash. イズベルバシ. Correct me if I should write it another way

Does 「日本語は覚えること多いですよね 」mean "There's a lot of things to learn in Japanese, isn't?" or?

What is the meaning of わたしはなんと呼べばいいですか?

How do I ask "When do your classes start?"?
You mean on a daily basis (time) or school-year basis (date)? Since you're here to learn, you should make an attempt before we help...
One tip: Usually in Japanese one would say when does school start.

You mean on a daily basis (time) or school-year basis (date)? Since you're here to learn, you should make an attempt before we help...
One tip: Usually in Japanese one would say when does school start.
I meant on daily basis. I made an attempt before your reply, indeed )
45cde-clip-3kb.png

Got an answer about when school year starts )

45cde-clip-3kb.png

I'd probably say 何時に学校が始まりますか?
Note, you're touching on the tricky subject of verb transitive/intransive pairs.
The verb you used is transitive which would normally be used if there is an actor(person) doing the starting. I used the intransitive form. It's the difference between "when does [X] start" vs "when do you start [X]". The concept is same/similar in english except frequently the verb doesn't change in english. (Sometimes it does such as eat vs. eaten).
始める vs 始まる doesn't seem like a big difference but it's an important differentiation. That being said, if you get it wrong, you will usually still be understood.

I'd probably say 何時に学校が始まりますか?
Note, you're touching on the tricky subject of verb transitive/intransive pairs.
The verb you used is transitive which would normally be used if there is an actor(person) doing the starting. I used the intransitive form. It's the difference between "when does [X] start" vs "when do you start [X]". The concept is same/similar in english except frequently the verb doesn't change in english. (Sometimes it does such as eat vs. eaten).
始める vs 始まる doesn't seem like a big difference but it's an important differentiation. That being said, if you get it wrong, you will usually still be understood.
I see, thank you.

What does いなかいがいえととえいがいかない mean? Two characters are shown in the theater, one's name is Eto. The end seems like "doesn't go (to?) movie with Eto"

I just made some excercise on verb+に+行く/来る/帰る subject. For example, I wrote 喫茶店に友達とコーヒーを飲みに行きます。How do I say "I'm going to cafe with my friend to drink coffee and talk to each other / have a conversation?
コーヒーを飲んで話しに?
コーヒーを飲みと話しに?
コーヒーを飲みで話しに?

兄妹がいますか。何人いますか。Can I say はい、二人います。Or should I add 兄妹が before 二人 in my answer?

45cde-clip-3kb.png

Note that 何時 has two different readings なんじ and いつ, and the latter can be used to ask "date". に is necessary for なんじ, so the answerer would interpret your sentence as 学校はいつ始まりますか, and then reply to it.

What does いなかいがいえととえいがいかない mean?
Isn't there any typo there? It doesn't make sense.

I just made some excercise on verb+に+行く/来る/帰る subject. For example, I wrote 喫茶店に友達とコーヒーを飲みに行きます。How do I say "I'm going to cafe with my friend to drink coffee and talk to each other / have a conversation?
コーヒーを飲んで話しに?
コーヒーを飲みと話しに?
コーヒーを飲みで話しに?
The second one, but コーヒーを飲みと話をしに is more natural.

兄妹がいますか。何人いますか。Can I say はい、二人います。Or should I add 兄妹が before 二人 in my answer?
I would say just 二人います without はい., since 二人います clearly states you have brothers/sisters.

Nice, thank you.
Note that 何時 has two different readings なんじ and いつ, and the latter can be used to ask "date". に is necessary for なんじ, so the answerer would interpret your sentence as 学校はいつ始まりますか, and then reply to it.

Isn't there any typo there? It doesn't make sense.

The second one, but コーヒーを飲みと話をしに is more natural.

I would say just 二人います without はい., since 二人います clearly states you have brothers/sisters.

Back
Top Bottom