What's new

My mother doesn't like me wearing short skirts

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
Which would be used and which is commonly used?
(a) My mother doesn't like me wearing short skirts.
(b) My mother doesn't like my wearing short skirts.
(c) My mother doesn't like me to wear short skirts.
(d) My mother doesn't like for me to wear short skirts.
(e) My mother doesn't like it when I wear short skirts.
(f) My mother doesn't like it that I wear short skirts.

Thanks in advance.
Hirashin

Last edited:
I would say, A, D, E, F. For F I would more likely say "My mother doesn't like that I wear short skirts."

As far as I'm aware it can be used like that. "My mother doesn't like it that I wear short skirts." is also an acceptable way to state it.

Thank you for the comment, Julimaruchan.

Do they all have the same meaning? Can you add "so I don't wear them" after each sentence?

All are valid.
Which you use will depend on: formality, or nuance of how much the mother dislikes it (more formal wording in a casual conversation implies seriousness).

All are valid.
Which you use will depend on: formality, or nuance of how much the mother dislikes it (more formal wording in a casual conversation implies seriousness).

Not to be rude, but not all are vallid. (b) My mother doesn't like my wearing short skirts - My isn't the correct way to address a person in this sentence, so that doesn't work out.

Not to be rude, but not all are vallid. (b) My mother doesn't like my wearing short skirts - My isn't the correct way to address a person in this sentence, so that doesn't work out.
"Your (as opposed to my) singing is poor".
"I don't like your singing". vs "I don't like you singing" -> both valid but slight meaning difference.
"I don't like your singing Britney Spears at the table (but my singing of it at the table is great)". or fully ""I don't like your singing of Britney Spears at the table".
Pretty sure it's legit, but don't know the names of the grammars.
I'm mostly convinced it's legit because the question clearly looks like a test of "all sentences valid, but what's the difference".

Back
Top Bottom