What's new

MEXT Scholarship through University Recommendation

nemovich

後輩
2 Jan 2010
this is my first post here and I`m happy to be around such nice people like you :)

the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Foreign Research Student Scholarship by University Recommendation!

anyone here obtained this scholarship before? or better any one applied to the graduate university for advanced studies (Sokendai)??

I thought I might find some experience here!!

looks like most people apply through embassy recommendation!

It's better if you post your detailed question here. Not just ask: has anyone done this?
If this is university recommendation, the right place to look for information would be your university: International department/Japanese studies department. It might be that your university or in your whole country there is no such option as university recommendation. To find this out you go to the right department at your university and they will tell you or they should call the embassy to find out.

I would expect that the exams and interview for university recommended people and those for embassy selection are similar. So no use for trying to ask questions in a different topic.

I have applied for the same scholarship at Hokkaido University for Masters course in Engineering. I have been short listed for the University recommendation scholarship MEXT , but the result is to come in June.
Hopefully I will get the scholarship this year.
Which university are you applying to and which division??

@ Scalemx
thanks for your reply , but honestly I dont have a detailed question here.. I was just happy to find other ppl interested in the same scholarship and wanted to share experience with them so we can help each other.

not that you mentioned, can anyone give us a few tips about what possibly could be the questions in the interview and what impression did you make on the faces of the committee? and did any one here took the interview online ?

Hi ankitravankar!
Best of luck in your application amigo, i`m applying to the university Sokendai- School of life science and biology for a postgraduate degree

I took the written exam last month and hopefully the interview will be in February.
did you already pass the interview? or waiting for it? was it in the embassy or internet based interview?
sorry for my questions but you know how much one could be anxious in such times :)

Last edited:
Depending on the university, they may want to know how well you speak/hear Japanese. They are probably mostly concerned with the usefulness of your research, so be prepared to describe how and who it benefits.

Hello Nemovich

I cleared the interview last week only. It was a telephonic interview conducted by two professors. The questions were mainly related to the field of study and the research proposal. They asked in depth about the content of the research proposal. In my case the interview was in English , but if its in japanese in your case or even english , they check the proficiency of language there. Also general questions like " why take admission in that university only" , " your future plans" , "Study Plan", Major subjects studied in Undergraduate level " etc etc .

I got the result for the interview and I cleared it , Now I am waiting for the MEXT result

All the best to you.

the program in my case is conducted in English, so I don't think they will be waiting for extraordinary skills in Japanese ;)

that seems quite interesting interview ankitravankar:) , I`m happy you managed to clear it.. and hope the same luck goes with me!

Now I think I will restudy and cover some basis in my research proposal.... hoping to get through it.

Best of luck for all of us mates!

Hi everyone. I am applying for the University Recommendation this year as well, for my master's study. However, the deadline for my application is Feb 2010. Well, the instruction I have received from my prospective supervisor is he, my prospective supervisor, will gives me an internet-based-interview (it could be done via emails too) instead of telephonic interview. I'd asked my prospective supervisor about how confident he is for this application. He replied me in email that he is not very confident, pretty upset here after I'd seen that email, he said it's competitive, but according to the number of succeed in his university last year, it is much more higher than embassy recommendation in my country. My country is about 30 out of 500 applicants! So I have decided to apply university recommendation.

Do you guys provide any foreign language certificates (for those are non-english native speakers)? I will sit for the IELTS on 23rd Jan, and this is the earliest exam date I'd managed to register in my country. I cannot make it to send my IELTS's score result to him before the daedline! My prospective supervisor told me, it's okay if I cannot make it before the deadline, he is fine with what is available (I had taken Malaysian University English Test (MUET), it's not recognised internationally honestly). My worry is that he is not the one who will selects the applicant, it's The President of that uni, not him actually. That's fine for him but doesn't mean it would be fine for The President too. You guys know what mean? Will it affects my application anyway?

By the way, did you guys signed any letters of pledge when applying?

Hello Akira
if the program is offered in English , then you are supposed to prove your English proficiency by either TOEFL or ILETS.
if you don't have the certificate yet, just explain the situation in your application and promise you will provide the result once it get announced. and hopefully they will understand your circumstances.

this is the best you can.. so stop the worry and study hard for your English exam.
what kind of pledge do you mean?!! and what school/department you are applying for?

all the best mate :)

Hello, nemovich
I apply the graduate school of agriculture, Kyoto University. The content of that letter of pledge is about I would only apply MEXT 2010 through Kyoto U, no other institutes/universities and won't be involved in any research that would lead to massive destruction. Do you sign it when you were applying?

The fact is they just mention "any certificates that indicating applicant's linguistic capabilities such as....", no such thing like "100 ibt for TOELF or band 7 for IELTS".

Ya, I will fully concentrate on my coming IELTS, hope I can pass with flying colours!! Wish me!!

hi all...

i'm new here and found this site during search for some MEXT info...
i have a question that really bothered me if i were to further study in master program at Japan university through MEXT...are they really care about the cumulative result during undergraduate study?if so, what is the minimum qualification for applying the scholarship or for entering the university at Japan...

hi all...
i'm new here and found this site during search for some MEXT info...
i have a question that really bothered me if i were to further study in master program at Japan university through MEXT...are they really care about the cumulative result during undergraduate study?if so, what is the minimum qualification for applying the scholarship or for entering the university at Japan...

the minimum criteria is a GPA of 3 on 4 scale , and even higher depending on the university...

Good academic record right since schooling , and undergraduation ... Interest in research .. should be competent enough to show excellent research skills by demonstrating good presentation skills and publications right from undergraduation , good recommendation letters by refrees from the undergraduation professors and in most cases command over japanese language .... and finally a good research proposal to please the professors at japanese university who will be willing to take you in...

i guess i told everything in here ....
All the Best

Most of the internet descriptions makes it sound that for the university recommendation you must be enrolled at a graduate student program from universities abroad with which the University has an official student exchange agreement. Is it possible to get university recommendation, if you aren't enrolled at a one of the universities with an exchange agreement?

Most of the internet descriptions makes it sound that for the university recommendation you must be enrolled at a graduate student program from universities abroad with which the University has an official student exchange agreement. Is it possible to get university recommendation, if you aren't enrolled at a one of the universities with an exchange agreement?

Not necessary , but japan must have good diplomatic relations from the country you belong to , the point is there are many universities and the one you are applying to not necessary be in exchange agreement ... but its good if that is the case ....

still you can apply and get selected ..

hi people,
i'm very glad i found this thread, coz i have millions of questions about this and nowhere to find the answers or some help...
these are my questions (sorry for the long post):

1. Are the grades really REALLY important? my grades are not outstanding, they're good, pretty average...but i do have some experience in research and even at teaching students at my college...do i have MUCH smaller chances with average grades?
(p.s. can someone tell me more about GPA? grading method is different in my country and some web explanations of GPA are pretty confusing...if some institution ask for your GPA does that mean they want grade point average from all the schools from the elementary school till now or just last one? sorry if the question is silly but it is confusing for us who didn't have that method in grading...)

2. Does anyone have the idea of how many people are applying through university recommendation? i know you can't know that but just an "idea", is it around hunderts, thousends, millions :) ??

3. I know that there's no "priority" but does some countries have some kind of "priority"? coz in the end MEXT probably pays attention not to take applicants "from the same place"...so...hm what is my question...does some countries could have priority? my college doesn't have exchange agreement too...:(

I do have some more questions, but i would be very happy if someone can answer me these, just tell me your opinion, coz i'm going crazy about everything i think as possibility of fail or win...
Thank you very much...:)

edit: i would like to apply for master's program if that's important to know...

It's better if you post your detailed question here. Not just ask: has anyone done this?
If this is university recommendation, the right place to look for information would be your university: International department/Japanese studies department. It might be that your university or in your whole country there is no such option as university recommendation. To find this out you go to the right department at your university and they will tell you or they should call the embassy to find out.
I would expect that the exams and interview for university recommended people and those for embassy selection are similar. So no use for trying to ask questions in a different topic.

i don't understand this, correct me if i'm wrong, i don't think your domestic university has anything to do with recommendation, only thing what your domestic university needs to do is that if they don't have an exchange agreement with the Japanese university you would like to attend to the dean of your domestic university needs to give you a strong recommendation letter. If your country has a diplomatic relations with Japan you can apply for scholarship through university but if your domestic university does not have exchange agreement you need to contact the department of your interest at Japanese university to ask about your eligibility...am i right? or not?

hi people,
i'm very glad i found this thread, coz i have millions of questions about this and nowhere to find the answers or some help...
these are my questions (sorry for the long post):
1. Are the grades really REALLY important? my grades are not outstanding, they're good, pretty average...but i do have some experience in research and even at teaching students at my college...do i have MUCH smaller chances with average grades?
(p.s. can someone tell me more about GPA? grading method is different in my country and some web explanations of GPA are pretty confusing...if some institution ask for your GPA does that mean they want grade point average from all the schools from the elementary school till now or just last one? sorry if the question is silly but it is confusing for us who didn't have that method in grading...)
2. Does anyone have the idea of how many people are applying through university recommendation? i know you can't know that but just an "idea", is it around hunderts, thousends, millions :) ??
3. I know that there's no "priority" but does some countries have some kind of "priority"? coz in the end MEXT probably pays attention not to take applicants "from the same place"...so...hm what is my question...does some countries could have priority? my college doesn't have exchange agreement too...:(
I do have some more questions, but i would be very happy if someone can answer me these, just tell me your opinion, coz i'm going crazy about everything i think as possibility of fail or win...
Thank you very much...:)
edit: i would like to apply for master's program if that's important to know...

Hello,
here are the answers to your questions
1) Yes for a japanese university grades are very important for international student , because they are selected on the basis of grades .. on the other hand the japanese students have to give an entrance test which is not required for international student..

GPA- Grade Point Average - Depends on university to university , for some a student who scores the max marks in the exam gets a full GPA and the GPA of other students are calculated on the basis of his score .. (Ex- Topper scores 90% marks in exam - his GPA 4/4 , Another student scores 85% marks - his GPA - (85/90)x4 = 3.77) , For other universities its on grades decided by the professors .. so you need to ask your university office what method they follow ..

2) Many students apply for University Recommendation = approx hundreds for like 5 seats ..

3) There is no priority for any country , any country having diplomatic relations with japan are welcomed... But they make sure that not more students from the same country are selected , like in case , there are many chinese students applying , so not every one gets selected , other countries student are equally given chance , their main aim is to internationalize the study environment by enrolling students from different countries.

( I got the MEXT scholarship this year by University Recommendation , so I have researched a lot before, thats why i could answer these answers , these are my opinions .. It can be wrong..)

Ganbatte!!!

Hello,
here are the answers to your questions
1) Yes for a japanese university grades are very important for international student , because they are selected on the basis of grades .. on the other hand the japanese students have to give an entrance test which is not required for international student..
GPA- Grade Point Average - Depends on university to university , for some a student who scores the max marks in the exam gets a full GPA and the GPA of other students are calculated on the basis of his score .. (Ex- Topper scores 90% marks in exam - his GPA 4/4 , Another student scores 85% marks - his GPA - (85/90)x4 = 3.77) , For other universities its on grades decided by the professors .. so you need to ask your university office what method they follow ..
2) Many students apply for University Recommendation = approx hundreds for like 5 seats ..
3) There is no priority for any country , any country having diplomatic relations with japan are welcomed... But they make sure that not more students from the same country are selected , like in case , there are many chinese students applying , so not every one gets selected , other countries student are equally given chance , their main aim is to internationalize the study environment by enrolling students from different countries.
( I got the MEXT scholarship this year by University Recommendation , so I have researched a lot before, thats why i could answer these answers , these are my opinions .. It can be wrong..)
Ganbatte!!!

thank you very much for answering my questions :)
i am worried about grades, (and of course number of applicants) but some people say grades are important but not on the 1st place of importantness :p, and now you say they ARE very important so you made me sad really....:(
:)
anyway, thanks again for the answers!! and congratulations on your acceptance!! :)

Hello, nemovich
I apply the graduate school of agriculture, Kyoto University.

Which division are you applying to and what professor? I'm also considering that department with the Forest and Biomaterials Division (eventually to the Tropical Agriculture Ecology subdivision). Hopefully we both make it. 🙂

Statement of Purpose/Research Plan

Hi all,

I want to apply for a scholarship through university recommendation for a masters. I was wondering if any of you could help me out with trying to write a research plan> The school wants an outline of my proposed plan of research. I'm just wondering what level of detail is expected for this document? I have a good idea of what field I want to go into but not so much so what precise topic I want to research. Is this going to be an issue? I mean, as a master's student it's difficult to come up with a topic completely independently of your supervisor's...

Thanks!!!

Hi all,
I want to apply for a scholarship through university recommendation for a masters. I was wondering if any of you could help me out with trying to write a research plan> The school wants an outline of my proposed plan of research. I'm just wondering what level of detail is expected for this document? I have a good idea of what field I want to go into but not so much so what precise topic I want to research. Is this going to be an issue? I mean, as a master's student it's difficult to come up with a topic completely independently of your supervisor's...
Thanks!!!

why you need research plan for masters??
that's strange..not impossible but...

why you need research plan for masters??
that's strange..not impossible but...

The application asks for an "outline" of my proposed study plan and research. However, I know that at the Master's level, I won't be coming up with my own topic in isolation of my supervisor... but I know they want some indication of my interest in order to assign a potential supervisor. I'm just wondering if any body knows how much detail they are expecting for the master's level... if anyone has done that before?

Like I said, I have an idea of the field I would like to research, but not necessarily a very specific topic with a plan in mind... and was wondering if I needed to be more detailed.

Back
Top Bottom