What's new

MEXT Scholarship 2015 (Research Students)

Hi guys! I have a question on the switch from Research to Master/PhD. Is this a serious issue when applying (i.e. during the interview)?

Did you guys mention it in your application besides the check boxes? If so how do you guys fit it into your timeline if you guys include something like that in your application?

I am wondering about this, since the entrance period (exam) to these Master/PhD seems to be set in every spring and fall, and it will overlap with the research studies, if the research studies involve some sort of end product.

Hope you guys are enjoying the stay in Japan so far :) Everything sounds very exciting!
I mentioned it in the interview, as well as my research plan. However, I made sure that my research plan was constructed in such a way that my accomplishments in the first two years (as if the extension never happens) could be a complete and self-contained effort -- but the overall topic/plan was assuming that I extend to PhD. This happens most of the time (very few people stick to the 2-yr research student option), so they fully expect you to do so as well -- just make sure you can articulate a plan for the 2-yr period during the interview.
I head over there in October :) Can't wait!
Good luck!

Thank you very much for the explanation, Amerikanjin5! That sounds like a really good approach to the issue. I was wondering where I could fit the PhD exam, but wanted to be flexible at the same time.

Where will you be heading?

Thank you very much for the explanation, Amerikanjin5! That sounds like a really good approach to the issue. I was wondering where I could fit the PhD exam, but wanted to be flexible at the same time.

Where will you be heading?
I'm sure you'll be fine with that. Another thing that really impresses the panel of interviewers is already doing your research on your universities of interest, and talking to specific professors in Japan ahead of time catches their attention. They really want to hear two things: (1) you're interested in Japan and want to learn more, regardless of what you already know/experienced, and (2) you are capable of conducting research that advances your field and will help Japan in some way. Make sure they understand why you're passionate about Japan, passionate about your research area, and why your research must be conducted in Japan (not elsewhere)...then you'll be fine! :)

I'm heading to Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokodai) to pursue my PhD in Chemical Engineering. I'm pretty excited because it's a great program and my advisor is a great guy (I talk to him pretty regularly), but also there are quite a few good fellows on this JRef forum who will be joining me in the same department! Good times ahead :)
Where have you looked at studying, and in what field?

That sounds really cool! TiT has a really good rep. I hope you enjoy your time there :) Your advisor sounds like a really good person to work with as well!

I am looking in studying Architecture myself. I have contacted a few professors though I wasn't sure if I should be mentioning anyone specific in my application. Maybe during the interview stage would be better.. They have also ask for the Placement request form after passing the first screening, otherwise that would be a good place to show that we've already been in touch.

Initially I thought this application would be relatively straightforward as I have tried planning ahead, starting early. But the application turned out to be quite a lot of work, and the window for applying is quite short. I can only hope at least I score an interview :) It is very nice reading all your stories though! They certain drives me forward in my application!

Hi again guys! I have yet another question, wondering if anyone have any insight on this from their application!

I just got my health certificate it's probably the most daunting process in the application for me, and pricy! The doctor managed to fill in most of the fields but left out some and wrote down something like referred to the results... I ended up sending the form and attached some of the results.

I am just wondering how important this health certificate is during the process? Did anyone have difficulties getting everything filled it by the doctor? Or did it become a problem during the application process (such as the interview)?

Hi, I'm filling in my application and I have a question for those that have been awarded the Scholarship.

One of the requirements say: has completed or will complete 16 years of school education in a foreign country.

In my country we have many 3 year Bachelors and that is my case. That sums up to 15 years of school education. Anyone that has received the scholarship in the same situation?

Thx :)

Is there anyone here who has been finally selected for University recommended MEXT scholarship 2015 ?? please contact me and write to me about the date of announcement of final result

Hi, This is my first post on the forum, I've applied for MEXT research scholarship 2015. Is there anyone else from Pakistan on this forum?

This might have been answered already but I just have a quick question regarding the MEXT scholarship for research students:

Is the maximum allotted time 2 or 5 years? On the following two blogs, you're allowed 2 years for a master's and 3 additional years(for a total of 5 years) if you're doing a PhD as well.

Dave's Logs » Going to Graduate School in Japan on a Monbushō Scholarship
Graduate School in Japan - On being a PhD student at the University of Tokyo

But on the official MEXT site, it says 2 years maximum for research students. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

This might have been answered already but I just have a quick question regarding the MEXT scholarship for research students:

Is the maximum allotted time 2 or 5 years? On the following two blogs, you're allowed 2 years for a master's and 3 additional years(for a total of 5 years) if you're doing a PhD as well.

But on the official MEXT site, it says 2 years maximum for research students. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

If you get the scholarship, you will enroll to the university as the research student, i.e., non-regular student, first.

Within 2 years of your research student scholarship, if you pass the entrance examination of Master/Ph.D. course, MEXT will extend your scholarship depending on the course that you applied.

Also, if you finish your Master course within the extend period, and enroll to the Ph.D. course, MEXT will extend your scholarship again.

Last edited:
If you get the scholarship, you will enroll to the university as the research student, i.e., non-regular student, first.

Within 2 years of your research student scholarship, if you pass the entrance examination of Master/Ph.D. course, MEXT will extend your scholarship depending on the course that you applied.

Also, if you finish your Master course within the extend period, and enroll to the Ph.D. course, MEXT will extend your scholarship again.

That's awesome! Thanks for the clarification, b4lmung! :)

Thanks in advance,
It's two years for research students, 5 years for graduate students (2 yr masters + 3 yr doctoral). Most students find it easiest (in terms of timing) to start as research student, then transfer to graduate student and extend the scholarship. So, theoretically, you could 7 years on MEXT scholarship :)
Hope this helps!

It's two years for research students, 5 years for graduate students (2 yr masters + 3 yr doctoral). Most students find it easiest (in terms of timing) to start as research student, then transfer to graduate student and extend the scholarship. So, theoretically, you could 7 years on MEXT scholarship :)
Hope this helps!
Thanks AmerikaJin5! That definitely distills it down :) I'm actually really glad I found this thread. It's like a goldmine of study in Japan tips because previously I was just relying on those two blogs.

Hi, I'm filling in my application and I have a question for those that have been awarded the Scholarship.

One of the requirements say: has completed or will complete 16 years of school education in a foreign country.

In my country we have many 3 year Bachelors and that is my case. That sums up to 15 years of school education. Anyone that has received the scholarship in the same situation?

THIS! same here !!!! 3 years bachelors!

I called the embassy here in Mexico, they said that if I have my Bachelor's Degree, then it doesn't really matter. I just have to specify on the application that it was a 3 years Bachelors.

I called the embassy here in Mexico, they said that if I have my Bachelor's Degree, then it doesn't really matter. I just have to specify on the application that it was a 3 years Bachelors.
OMG really? Thats so awesome :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: I hope its the same in India :nailbiting: I am too scared of calling them :cry:
have you applied already? :angelic:

Hi, I was successfully nominated for the scholarship with recommendation from Embassy.
May I know how do I get the letter of acceptance? Should I request it from the processor or apply through the university? How long time will it take? :)

Hello Frida! I was asking the same question which if having 15 years of school education! I applied and ended up with a message that I didn't full-fill the requirements regardless my project and all, so I think considering a plus one year counts!!

Hello Frida! I was asking the same question which if having 15 years of school education! I applied and ended up with a message that I didn't full-fill the requirements regardless my project and all, so I think considering a plus one year counts!!
On my case, I only finished 15 years of education. 10 years grade school to high school, 5 years for college (Engineering). I took master's degree (2 years) to make it 17.

Back
Top Bottom