What's new

MEXT Scholarship 2014

MsHappyD

先輩
25 Apr 2012
Hi everyone! I made this thread so I can communicate to all aspiring MEXT schorship participants. I applied for the MEXT Scholarship 2013 but unfortunately, I didn't get in. Who are going to apply?

Thank you MsHappyD for the thread,

I have applied for MEXT 2013 - Embassy recommendation, and reached interview stage, unfortunately not accepted. I have a lot of questions to those who have experience with MEXT scholarship:

1- Do you think learning Japanese increase your opportunity for embassy recommendation?
2- Which is easier MEXT scholarship Embassy or University recommendation?

best wishes to all

P.S: I will apply for MEXT 2014 - Embassy recommendation, to those from Egypt, if you have any question about procedures, interview, etc, feel free to ask.

1. Yes, I think so. Because we were 3 undergrad candidates who were actually taking Japanese exam and in the interview the were 4, but only we 3 got recommended. That's just my opinion though. If you get really good results in other exams, Japanese is not a problem.

2. I don't know much about university recommendation but this one is probably easier, because to get it you need to be accepted to university, which is hard itself. so if you get accepted by university it's probably easier to get positive result from mext.

Hey does anyone know how it works for people in countries like US and Canada, how intensively will they look at our high school marks? Will it be a huge factor is the exam the most important thing?

1. Yes, I think so. Because we were 3 undergrad candidates who were actually taking Japanese exam and in the interview the were 4, but only we 3 got recommended. That's just my opinion though. If you get really good results in other exams, Japanese is not a problem.

Do you have any advice for learning Japanese language (Books, CDs, Website, ......?

Hey, everyone! Are you preparing already for the next application? Well, same here! Ganbatte ne, minna!

---------- Post added at 07:22 ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 ----------

Good luck everyone, I hope that you will be able to get the scholarship and will be able to enjoy and learn a lot.

Hi Mohamed Mahmoud!

Have a look at this thread: I'd like to share some material...

It has lots of resources to study Japanese.

hi! thank you for sharing this to us. :))

Hello everyone! I will be applying for the MEXT scholarship for the first time! ^_^

Not sure how it will go since everyone I know who got it had to do it about 4 times before actually getting the scholarship, but I will give it my all every year until hopefully I get it! ^^ I will be applying for a Ph.D. in Literature.

Also, thank you for all those lovely links for learning Japanese!

When will be the next MEXT application period?

I applied once but even before submitting my completed application papers, someone (the librarian, I think) said that I am overage for undergraduate studies (I am 21 now and if accepted, 22 next year) since MEXT only allows 21 and under to apply.

I am searching for other opportunities and found G30. I will be sending my documents this following week.

Are there anyone here who's currently studying in Japan? How's life there?

I really want to apply for a postgrad 2014 but I feel that I won't be 'qualified' enough. How did you prepare for your application last year/ what was your application process like?

I applied once but even before submitting my completed application papers, someone (the librarian, I think) said that I am overage for undergraduate studies (I am 21 now and if accepted, 22 next year) since MEXT only allows 21 and under to apply.

I am searching for other opportunities and found G30. I will be sending my documents this following week.

Well as what I've read from the application form, you need to be 21 years old and below during your admission in one of the universities in Japan.

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

I really want to apply for a postgrad 2014 but I feel that I won't be 'qualified' enough. How did you prepare for your application last year/ what was your application process like?

Last year I processed all the necessary documents in less than a month because I didn't know anything about it until the month where everything needs to be submitted. As for the exams, I (kind of) wasn't really prepared so my study period is only less than a month, I guess? But the previous exams posted in here (Government-sponsored) are really helpful. The examination (I applied for Natural Science B so I need to take 5 examinations including Nihongo) in English and Math are quite easy but the Chemistry and Physics are really difficult.

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

The next MEXT application period here in our country will be on May 2013..

Thanks for the info! I've decided that I'm going to apply for the scholarship after all! I was just having doubts because I haven't done anything like this before, also I'm currently in my last year at uni and thought that I wouldn't be able to apply (still not sure though), but there's no harm in trying!

ETA!
After looking at the link you gave me I have more questions! Is a 'research student' someone who is applying for a masters (postgrad student)? Also there's only English and Japanese in that section, does that mean that that's the only examinations research students have to take? Sorry for all the questions I'm just a bit confused... :?

Hi everyone! This would be the first apply for me, and my question is, which was not clear: do i need to speak japanese, if I want to apply? I read that the selection and the test will be in japanese.

Szia, udv a forumon :)

You don't need to speak Japanese, but it helps. There is a Japanese test, but this year there were a few people who just wrote their name on the test sheet and left without even trying. In theory, it is possible to pass like that, although if you apply for Social Sciences it will affect your points more heavily. All the other tests are in English. If you get past the exam and make it to the interview, you can either do it in English or Japanese, it's up to you. The interviewer in Hungary is a really nice guy, he assured me that in case I don't understand something or can't express myself in Japanese, I should feel free to switch to English. :)
By the way, which scholarship will you apply for?

Hello!
I created an account upon seeing this thread XDD
I have just too many doubts about Mext, so maybe someone will be able to help me with them? D:
What worries me most are the exams. I'm currently in 12th grade of high school. I'm pretty good with maths, but when I asked for help from my math teacher, he said that this is the stuff you learn in universities. So, how the hell am I supposed to pass the math exam from stuff didn't even learn yet? D:::: You think they'll look at my age? xD
Also, English ain't my mother tongue either. And I only passed JLPT 3 recently when the exams are mixed with N1 :I

I'm dying to learn math and all the stuff, but... how much do you think those exams really matter? If I got ~80% from both Jap and Eng, and ~40% from maths, do you think I'd pass? XDDDDD
Probably, no, eh? XD
SIGHHH...

Okay! I emailed my embassy (in London) and they gave me some valuable information.

Firstly, the application intake starts early-mid April. The deadline is usually in June and if you are chosen to be interviewed it will take place around mid-late July. The interview results then come out early August, if you are successful you will then be requested to contact the universities you listed on your application for an acceptance letter. They stated that this procedure must be done during August.

After you have all the required documents from your chosen university you then have to send it to them by mid October. After they have received all required documents they will then send your application pack to the MEXT in Tokyo. The MEXT in Tokyo will then contact them with the first initial result (usually around November-December).

You will then be asked if you are still interested in MEXT, after they have received your conformation MEXT will then contact the universities listed on your application to see if any of them have accepted you or not. The acceptance letter you initially received is usually from a professor/lecturer you will be studying with and not the university itself.

The final result of which university accepted your application usually comes out in February and the final detail of when you depart to Japan comes out in early March.

There are two exams you are requested to take. One is an English grammar test and the other is a Japanese grammar test. They stated that you do not need to worry about the Japanese grammar test as its only purpose is to see what lessons you will need if you are selected. They provide 180 minutes for both exams.

PHEW!
Again, this is the information that I required from my embassy here in LONDON, UK. But hopefully everyone who is applying for a MEXT scholarship can find this helpful one way or another!

Hello everyone. First of all, sorry for my english, i'm still studying and acquiring more vocabulary, so, forgive any mistake =)

Anyway, i'm having the same problem of the otakuhaspie, but i'm going to the 12th grade of high school, so i don't have the knowledge to do the MEXT exams yet(but i'm studying hard! xD)... i'm intending to do the MEXT exam in 2013 only to see if i can register and see how is to be there and this kind of stuff...

This will create future problems for me? only putting my name in the exam... or doing one or another question...

Firstly, the application intake starts early-mid April. The deadline is usually in June and if you are chosen to be interviewed it will take place around mid-late July.
After you have all the required documents from your chosen university you then have to send it to them by mid October.
The MEXT in Tokyo will then contact them with the first initial result (usually around November-December).
The final result of which university accepted your application usually comes out in February and the final detail of when you depart to Japan comes out in early March.
There are two exams you are requested to take. One is an English grammar test and the other is a Japanese grammar test.
Well, I definitely realized one thing - MEXT was made to annoy people. :eek: Just how more troublesome could it get!? Seriously. :I
But thank you for the info! XD It helped me get a better grasp of how the system works. :09:

Hello!
I created an account upon seeing this thread XDD
I have just too many doubts about Mext, so maybe someone will be able to help me with them? D:
What worries me most are the exams. I'm currently in 12th grade of high school. I'm pretty good with maths, but when I asked for help from my math teacher, he said that this is the stuff you learn in universities. So, how the hell am I supposed to pass the math exam from stuff didn't even learn yet? D:::: You think they'll look at my age? xD
Also, English ain't my mother tongue either. And I only passed JLPT 3 recently when the exams are mixed with N1 :I
I'm dying to learn math and all the stuff, but... how much do you think those exams really matter? If I got ~80% from both Jap and Eng, and ~40% from maths, do you think I'd pass? XDDDDD
Probably, no, eh? XD
SIGHHH...
Hmm, I don't believe math would be university level, more like advanced high/middle/grammar/whatever school stuff. (Over here grades 9-12 are in "middle schools" and high school is almost the same as university... sigh, confuses me all the time.) I didn't have advanced math class, but spent a lot of time practicing, solving exams of the previous years, plus kinda learned differentiation with help from my classmates who had advanced math. Keep in mind, that if it seems difficult to you, it should be just as difficult for others. Before the test, we were shown a sheet with some information, including last year's avarage points. I believe Japanese was somewhere between 60-70, and math around 40 percent, but I'm not sure I remember correctly.

I am not familiar with JLPT or any system that rates you language skills, but the Japanese test was divided into 3 parts: beginner, intermediate, and advanced, so even if you don't speak perfectly or can't read that many kanji you should still be able to score quite a few points. I believe the 2010 Japanese test you can find online was just an experiment (one that probably went horribly wrong), so don't worry about that.

I believe your age should only be relevant to whether you can apply or not, but I don't think they will favour you when they check the test only because you're younger. They probably won't even look at the names untill they are finished with all the tests.
The exams do matter a lot, because the results will determine whether you will be called in for an interview or not. As to whether they influence the decision of MEXT as well, I do not know.
Hello everyone. First of all, sorry for my english, i'm still studying and acquiring more vocabulary, so, forgive any mistake =)
Anyway, i'm having the same problem of the otakuhaspie, but i'm going to the 12th grade of high school, so i don't have the knowledge to do the MEXT exams yet(but i'm studying hard! xD)... i'm intending to do the MEXT exam in 2013 only to see if i can register and see how is to be there and this kind of stuff...
This will create future problems for me? only putting my name in the exam... or doing one or another question...
I don't know why you two would think that your knowledge as a 12th grader is not sufficient. The undergraduate scholarship is, after all, for us - ages 17-21. I was 17 and had not started the 12th grade yet when I decided that I want to apply for the 2013 scholarship. I did apply, and now, 18 years old, having passed the selection, I am waiting for the final decision from MEXT, even though I didn't even have my graduation certificate when I did the tests or the interview. I still had my final exams in grammar school a week after the interview. I'm not saying that just being confident and practicing diligently will cut it (heck, I was everything but diligent), but it sure helps.

Olipp, do not go in half-heartedly; If you are going to do it, do it right. Applying in itself is such a hassle that it would be a waste of your time if you went through all of it just to "check things out". But to answer your question, no, it won't create any problems for you. I believe there are always some people who just write their name and then leave, usually at the Japanese tests. If you score high enough on most tests, it probably won't matter that much if you get low points on one. Even if you don't get it the first time, I don't think they would take the results of your previous application(s) into consideration during your second or third time.
Well, I definitely realized one thing - MEXT was made to annoy people. :eek: Just how more troublesome could it get!? Seriously. :I
But thank you for the info! XD It helped me get a better grasp of how the system works. :09:
What florets shared is indeed very informative, thanks for that! But do keep in mind, that it applies to the research scholarship. For undergraduate, the process is just a little bit different. (e.g. no need to contact Japanese universities and professors.)
So, as a summary: be a bit more confident, practice a lot, try solving previous tests, and keep in my that it will be just as hard for others, and that the chances of getting the undergraduate scholarship are very slim, so don't get depressed if you don't get it the first time. (I, for one, will get kind of depressed if I don't get it, but that's for entirely different reasons :D)

Good luck to both of you.

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't believe math would be university level, more like advanced high/middle/grammar/whatever school stuff. I didn't have advanced math class, but spent a lot of time practicing, solving exams of the previous years, plus kinda learned differentiation with help from my classmates who had advanced math. Keep in mind, that if it seems difficult to you, it should be just as difficult for others.
I thought so too - there's no way it's uni level, but some of the problems are definitely full of stuff I've never seen in my life. At least the 2010 exam is. Older exams are pretty bearable compared to that one :I
I am studying hard for it! I've always been one of the best in my class in maths, but these exams seriously made me loose confidence in what I know xDD;; Sad, really.

So, as a summary: be a bit more confident, practice a lot, try solving previous tests, and keep in my that it will be just as hard for others, and that the chances of getting the undergraduate scholarship are very slim, so don't get depressed if you don't get it the first time. (I, for one, will get kind of depressed if I don't get it, but that's for entirely different reasons :D)
I'd actually get really depressed, too. It'll be even more impossible to enter the next year - I'll have forgotten even the math I know now as I'm going to study art XDD
OH! Were your math exams the same type as the 2010 one? It seems they changed the problems quite a lot that year, wondering if it stayed the same.
Thank you! I really hope you got the place! :D

OH! Were your math exams the same type as the 2010 one? It seems they changed the problems quite a lot that year, wondering if it stayed the same.
As for the math test, no, it was different this year, more like the ones before the 2010 test. It seems they were in a mad mood that year. There were 3 excercises: 1 consisting of smaller, easier ones, where you basicly just had to remember the correct formula and maybe twist it a little; And there were two harder ones, including a differentiating problem. If you have any problems while solving previous tests, just ask your teacher to help you, or someone who learns advanced math. I did solve some problems with help from my friends as well. You can even ask here, perhaps I'll try to solve them again - get those math-muscles to work after all this time.

I forgot to mention that you should check out the "Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Scholarship Applicants" group on Facebook. If you take a look at the files there, you can find some links to some study material - I personally haven't checked them, so I can't recommend any.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I've decided that I'm going to apply for the scholarship after all! I was just having doubts because I haven't done anything like this before, also I'm currently in my last year at uni and thought that I wouldn't be able to apply (still not sure though), but there's no harm in trying!

ETA!
After looking at the link you gave me I have more questions! Is a 'research student' someone who is applying for a masters (postgrad student)? Also there's only English and Japanese in that section, does that mean that that's the only examinations research students have to take? Sorry for all the questions I'm just a bit confused... :?

Yes, research student and postgrad student is the same. In my country the postgrad students only need to take Japanese and English exams. But, you can choose not to take the Japanese exam if you can't do it. And from that experience, I can say that even if you don't understand any of it you still need to do your best in answering 'coz I think they want to see that you are so determined to be a MEXT scholar and you're willing to learn Japanese. Taking the Japanese exam will also help your results if you think you flunked in other subjects. I really did regret the time when I didn't take the exam even if I have a LITTLE knowledge about Japanese.

---------- Post added at 08:04 ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 ----------

I thought so too - there's no way it's uni level, but some of the problems are definitely full of stuff I've never seen in my life. At least the 2010 exam is. Older exams are pretty bearable compared to that one :I
I am studying hard for it! I've always been one of the best in my class in maths, but these exams seriously made me loose confidence in what I know xDD;; Sad, really.

I'd actually get really depressed, too. It'll be even more impossible to enter the next year - I'll have forgotten even the math I know now as I'm going to study art XDD

Our exams last year were quite easy. If you know Algebra and Trigonometry I think you can pull it off. The exams in Chemistry and Physics are suuuupppeeeeerrr hard for someone like me who majors in Math since I am an Engineering student. Phew!

---------- Post added at 08:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

I think anyone can pull off the exam in English 'coz it was like the most basic in learning English. And I will be focusing more on Math, Chemistry, Physics and of course Japanese. I think if you knew almost everything in N5, you can pass the Japanese exam.

---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 ----------

Hmm, I don't believe math would be university level, more like advanced high/middle/grammar/whatever school stuff. (Over here grades 9-12 are in "middle schools" and high school is almost the same as university... sigh, confuses me all the time.) I didn't have advanced math class, but spent a lot of time practicing, solving exams of the previous years, plus kinda learned differentiation with help from my classmates who had advanced math. Keep in mind, that if it seems difficult to you, it should be just as difficult for others. Before the test, we were shown a sheet with some information, including last year's avarage points. I believe Japanese was somewhere between 60-70, and math around 40 percent, but I'm not sure I remember correctly.

I am not familiar with JLPT or any system that rates you language skills, but the Japanese test was divided into 3 parts: beginner, intermediate, and advanced, so even if you don't speak perfectly or can't read that many kanji you should still be able to score quite a few points. I believe the 2010 Japanese test you can find online was just an experiment (one that probably went horribly wrong), so don't worry about that.

I believe your age should only be relevant to whether you can apply or not, but I don't think they will favour you when they check the test only because you're younger. They probably won't even look at the names untill they are finished with all the tests.
The exams do matter a lot, because the results will determine whether you will be called in for an interview or not. As to whether they influence the decision of MEXT as well, I do not know.

I don't know why you two would think that your knowledge as a 12th grader is not sufficient. The undergraduate scholarship is, after all, for us - ages 17-21. I was 17 and had not started the 12th grade yet when I decided that I want to apply for the 2013 scholarship. I did apply, and now, 18 years old, having passed the selection, I am waiting for the final decision from MEXT, even though I didn't even have my graduation certificate when I did the tests or the interview. I still had my final exams in grammar school a week after the interview. I'm not saying that just being confident and practicing diligently will cut it (heck, I was everything but diligent), but it sure helps.

Olipp, do not go in half-heartedly; If you are going to do it, do it right. Applying in itself is such a hassle that it would be a waste of your time if you went through all of it just to "check things out". But to answer your question, no, it won't create any problems for you. I believe there are always some people who just write their name and then leave, usually at the Japanese tests. If you score high enough on most tests, it probably won't matter that much if you get low points on one. Even if you don't get it the first time, I don't think they would take the results of your previous application(s) into consideration during your second or third time.

What florets shared is indeed very informative, thanks for that! But do keep in mind, that it applies to the research scholarship. For undergraduate, the process is just a little bit different. (e.g. no need to contact Japanese universities and professors.)

Good job, Gee337!

hi everyone! i'm so happy i found this forum, i learned a lot from all your valuable information.
for those who got accepted, congratulations, for those who are still going to apply, good luck to us.

i am actually going to apply for graduate study this year under social sciences. any other tips specifically for that? like, what will the exam be like for those applying for social science scholarships? will there be a different set or exams for social science applicants from natural science applicants?

Back
Top Bottom