What's new

MEXT Scholarship 2012

Phukhanhbk11: I have just received it from NUT. Do you work in Hanoi? and are you a lecturer? what the field do you study in NUT? I will study civil engineering field
No, I work in Haiphong.I can be considered to work in university but not a lecturer,I will study in design and production field.
Do you have any friend who also is nominated by NUT?

No, I work in Haiphong.I can be considered to work in university but not a lecturer,I will study in design and production field.
Do you have any friend who also is nominated by NUT?

Yes, I have some friend studying in JP are nominated by NUT. But really they don't know how many students are nominated each year, They advise me don't worry about the result but I still worry. waiting are killing me :). Nice to meet you.

Yeah its been a long process but its been well worth it. Final few weeks now, im excited to move and to dig my teeth into my PhD.
Oh, are you enrolling in April? I applied for October, still waiting "final" notice

got my flight ticket and visa today :)

earlier this month I got confirmation for dormitory for couple room for me and my wife

I'll be leaving on April 1st :)

could it be any better? I don't think so :p

hi, I will probably be staying in JASSO Odaiba dorm. I think couple of people from this forum also going there.....

Oh, are you enrolling in April? I applied for October, still waiting "final" notice

Yeah just waiting for my tickets to arrive now, and here in the UK we have to go to the embassy for an orientation day before we leave.

Im doing the intensive language course for 6 months then going onto the PhD course. Although my supervisor wants me to jump into my PhD work along with the intensive course (as do I). I have done a research MSc so im carrying on my research so I am just as excited to get my PhD underway as I am to move to Japan.

EDIT: No sooner had I posted that I got my flight details, April 1st! =)

I dont land till 15:00. I've been through Narita a lot before and if there are a few planes in at once customs and entry gets busy and after 13 hours of being squashed into a seat (im over 2m tall) im in no mood to run. Also as im studying at TiTech im just going to jump on an Airport Limo bus and head to Shinjuku to grab a train (Perhaps a flying beer :) ). So GrampusN good luck with your research/degree/masters/PhD im afraid I will be a little pushed for time.

Oooooh you guys are getting tickets already!

I hope to fly out as early as possible! wouldn't wanna miss the sakura :))

@neuro yep a couple or more of us are going to the odaiba dorm :D although i haven't any instructions about that yet :))

hie KZSakurako, I am also going to Jasso residence hall in Odaiba.. but havent confirmed it yet as I will be placed at Sagamihara Campus, Todai. My supervisor had earlier arranged me accommodation for the first month and then I had to find some private.. but as I had to go for Japanese Language courses I have asked some suggestions from my supervisor. most probably i will be living in Jasso Odaiba for the first 6 months during my language course and then have to find some private ones around Sagami.. hope to see u soon.. I am arriving on April 2nd

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Oooooh you guys are getting tickets already!

I hope to fly out as early as possible! wouldn't wanna miss the sakura :))

@neuro yep a couple or more of us are going to the odaiba dorm :D although i haven't any instructions about that yet :))

most probably i will be staying at Odaiba for the first 6 month. I will be arriving on 2nd April.. see u soon :)

About the Currency Exchange

Hi GrampusN,

I would like to suggest an comparison analysis before exchanging the money in Yen.
The Yen Currency Exchange Rate depends mainly on demand and offer of this currency inside a country.
In my country it is relatively expensive and prior to decide on money currency I am planning to make a comparison between two alternatives: 1. exchange my country currency directly in Yen 2. exchange my country currency first in USD and than when in Japan convert USD in Yen.
I took currency rates in local exchange offices and search for the general conversion rate of USD in Yen at this site: Yen Exchange Rate and Movement on Nikkei and Topix | The Japan Times Online
I compared the amount of Yen I could buy in my country using to the one I could buy in Japan with the above conversion rate.
It resulted that I could buy more yen in Japan than in my country.

I suggest you do the same analysis in order to be more efficient with the money conversion.

Now, I am searching about the best locations I could by Yen with USD in the city I am going to.
As I have searched so far, Japan Post seems to have the best rates. Anyway, I am going to ask directly my supervisor or someone from the international student office.

Regards.

Hi everybody,

I have a question about the money exchange before arriving the Japan. I can exchange my money to the USD or Yen, but i have no idea which is more reasonable. Can anybody say something about this issue?

I normally exchange GBP for Yen while im in Japan I get a much better exchange rate. Last year I got an extra 14 yen per pound compared to the exchange rate here in the UK.

Got my eticket today. But instead of ticket up to Hiroshima. I have got it up to Osaka. Don't know why. Hope they fix this ticket soon. already talked to embassy regarding this.

Got to know that MEXT will be bearing my travel cost up to Osaka only, after that I have to manage and bear the cost too. Plus have to pay airport tax on reaching Japan. My prof says take a shinkansen from Osaka, it will cost around 11000 Yen. plus airport to stations transfer

Got to know that MEXT will be bearing my travel cost up to Osaka only, after that I have to manage and bear the cost too. Plus have to pay airport tax on reaching Japan. My prof says take a shinkansen from Osaka, it will cost around 11000 Yen. plus airport to stations transfer

So take a night bus for a fraction of that and put the rest back in your pocket. It ain't like the Shinkansen is the only form of transit in this country.

neuro11: I'm going to take Ms course at National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS), Minato-ku, Tokyo. Are you going to Tokyo? If so, so happy to meet you here. 🙂 My course which is conducted entirely in English will start in October and I wish I could have 6 months of intensive Japanese but maybe it's hopeless. I'm still waiting for the final word.
nguyenledu: i'm working for Danang's Committee. I guess you are university professor, right? 👍

Hi satthukodoimu,
I have applied for Policy Analysis program (PhD) at GRIPS (also MEXT Scholarship through university recommendation), they said the results will come out on early June. Im so nervous now. Do u know anyone who is doing a PhD in Policy Analysis and who has got the MEXT through GRIPS recommendation? I heard it's really hard to get it.

---------- Post added at 02:23 ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 ----------

Hi guys,

I have sent my application for the 5 years PhD program in Policy Analysis at National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies. They've said the results will come out on early June and I am freaking out! I really wanna get the MEXT Scholarship, but I heard it will be harder to get it from university recommendation this year (cuz of economic situation in Japan etc). Any advice?
In addition, my overall GPA is 3.76 but I am about to graduate in my junior year (Bachelor in Economics), so I'm afraid they might say that I m not ready yet to start with the program since I've done it in 3 years instead of the regular 4 years. Do u guys think it really matters?

Thanks a lot!

A question to those who are going to Tokyo and staying in JASSO Odaiba dorm : do you know when tenancy starts there? I mean can you directly move to dorm after arriving in Tokyo or you need stay few days on your own before they let you in.

^i dont know know yet actually. Todai just sent me the dorm acceptance letter yesterday. Gonna give them a week to contact me again, before i ask about it :))

A question to those who are going to Tokyo and staying in JASSO Odaiba dorm : do you know when tenancy starts there? I mean can you directly move to dorm after arriving in Tokyo or you need stay few days on your own before they let you in.

Your gradschool will contact you re arrangements soon. As for me, i am waiting for their instructions too as they've said they are finalizing things re accommodation, tutor and possibly, pickup from airport (?).

Btw, i'm arriving 2nd April and will be staying in Odaiba too! See you all! :)

Back
Top Bottom