What's new

MEXT Monbukagakusho for Undergraduate - Exam weighting

Hjordis:
I agree with akai that the Letter of Recommendation (LOR) should be from someone who actually knows you and will write you a LOR what your good points and bad points are, hopefully more good than bad. I think they worded it Principal/Adivisor just as a general term.
Passport photos vary in size from different countries. If you have friends from different countries, you would see that not all countries use the US version of 2 inches x 2 inches. In fact most countries use a more rectangular version. I used to check in international students when I was a international student orientation counselor/volunteer. Most of the new students only had their passports as a form of ID and the photos looked more rectangular. If you go to a photography store/place where they take pictures they will probably know the right dimensions. The photographer asked me what country and he just knew exactly what to use--he already had it saved in his computer.
Erytheia:
When I took the test, both the US and Japanese MEXT Coordinator, made sure to tell us that to qualify for an interview you must meet a certain number of points, cumulative (in total). Also unlike some countries, I think in the US, you have to take the Japanese test and the English test is optional for research students. They didn't tell us what the magic number was, but the US Coordinator gave the impression that if you did really well in the English section, you could practically fail the mandatory Japanese.
As for those who are asking for copies/questions of the test, get real. I don't think it will do you any good, so I will tell you what the reading comp. section was about. The first one was about a different method to teach how to play tennis. The second one was an article about food mileage. I forgot what the third one was about or if there was even a third reading comp. As for the last section, the spot the mistake, I totally see how non-native speakers would have a problem with that. They use bad grammar that I often hear international students make. No offense or anything, but I could see how that could be diffuclt for some of you guys, if that's how you and your friends speak English.
I hope I don't sound deaming or anything, I just talked like an old, formal person.

Hjordis:
I agree with akai that the Letter of Recommendation (LOR) should be from someone who actually knows you and will write you a LOR what your good points and bad points are, hopefully more good than bad. I think they worded it Principal/Adivisor just as a general term.
When I took the test, both the US and Japanese MEXT Coordinator, made sure to tell us that to qualify for an interview you must meet a certain number of points, cumulative (in total).
The only thing is that I was told I should get one from my principal since it was specified. In the end I went with both. I've barely talked to my principal, and I expect it will show, so they'll have the other from somebody who actually knows me. And yeah, I just ended up putting on a 2X2 passport photo. I couldn't get it centered in the box because of the writing to the left, which annoyed me, but oh well.

Erytheia:
When I took the test, both the US and Japanese MEXT Coordinator, made sure to tell us that to qualify for an interview you must meet a certain number of points, cumulative (in total). Also unlike some countries, I think in the US, you have to take the Japanese test and the English test is optional for research students. They didn't tell us what the magic number was, but the US Coordinator gave the impression that if you did really well in the English section, you could practically fail the mandatory Japanese.

That's reassuring, thanks for all your help! I guess I better take the English test; mandatory or not.

Hi everyone! 🙂
I am taking a test for udergraduate student Natural A. next week.
My questions are:
Q1:
I'd seen studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj0308e.html#3
I have noticed that the tests for College of technology students and ones for Undergraduate students were same in MonbukagakushoScholarship 2010.
What is situation now?
Q2:
Tests for MonbukagakushoScholarship 2011 are like ones in 2010 (i am asking about: eng math,phy & chem) or like in 2009,2008,2007 ... :?.
Thanx

Yes the format is same but the questions are somewhat harder. But I'm not sure if undergraduate and college of technology exams are same. All I heard was it was especially hard for natural sciences. I applied for Humanities A, your questions are different, so i can't help you =(

Anyway, i was recommended, now only thing i can do is to wait until January.. Why so long :(

Hello, all!
I noticed a few posts here, and a few not.

I'm from India and have applied for the MEXT 2014 Undergraduate Program. I got shortlisted for the written examination. I will have to write papers for Math, Japanese and English. Could anyone help me with information as to what preparations I have to do for the exam? As in, study what curriculum and what to expect in each of the subjects?

My exam is fourteen days away and I need to prepare for the exams ASAP.

Help, please!

Back
Top Bottom