What's new

MEXT Monbukagakusho for Undergraduate - Exam weighting

Hackysack

後輩
24 May 2010
Hi guys!
I'm a bit confused here with the exams and how important each is.
Are all of the exams equally weighted?...
My problem is the Japanese exam vs the chemistry exam...and which one to choose :?
Would the Japanese exam be weighted any higher than the chemistry one of vice versa? Because it just seems a little silly that you can go through the exam process without doing a Japanese exam...yet you are going there to study at a Japanese Uni :eek:
Thanks for the help :)

Hi guys!
I'm a bit confused here with the exams and how important each is.
Are all of the exams equally weighted?...
My problem is the Japanese exam vs the chemistry exam...and which one to choose :?
Would the Japanese exam be weighted any higher than the chemistry one of vice versa? Because it just seems a little silly that you can go through the exam process without doing a Japanese exam...yet you are going there to study at a Japanese Uni :eek:
Thanks for the help :)

When I spoke to one of the selection committee members here in the US, she said that the Japanese exam is extremely important for undergrads because the vast majority of programs will be entirely in Japanese (and they worry about candidates surviving). I don't know if all countries look at it that way, but that's what she told me.

Hey thanks akaitsume! 👍

I hope thats the case cos I havnt been studying Japanese for 5 years for nothing!!! :angryfire

It was just puzzling me that they actually give you a choice whether or not to do it.
In anycase I hope the Japanese exams are weighted higher for my sake lol

If anyone knows anyting else, please dont hesitate to say something

:)

Ah good, FINALLY got a reply from the MEXT scholarship coordinator in Aus.

Japanese is compulsory as of this year :)

👍

Hi, guys!!
I will apply for MEXT Undergraduates 2011.

It seems like in different countries the exams will pass in different days.
Can you tell me when will be the exam in yours countries, please?

And one else question: Could candidates take the tests after exam?

I`m looking forward for your answers!
Thanks a lot! ^_^

窶堋ア窶堙ア窶堙寂?堙ア窶堙最?F窶堋ウ窶堙アツ! :p This my first post 🙂
I've sent the application to the Japanese embassy a week ago. Yet, I haven't got an answer! does anybody know how much time it takes to get a reply? does it depend on the day You've sent the application ☝ ??

Yay, there's finally an undergrad thread at this forum!
Akaitsume- are you applying for undergrad this year too? Which consulate do you go to? Everything's so much later here than in most countries. I'm glad though- I don't even GET my diploma until tomorrow, let alone being able to get a copy of it certified.
Soul- My tests are sometime in the first week of August, with the interview being the same day. I don't think you can make them up- I remember reading in one of the threads about someone who got really sick and had to miss them.

Soul- My tests are sometime in the first week of August, with the interview being the same day. I don't think you can make them up- I remember reading in one of the threads about someone who got really sick and had to miss them.
Ou, it is later than in my country.

Hey, everybody, who have applied on MEXT Undergraduate 2011 too? answer me, plz...

Hi guys.

Heres what ive got for Australia at least.
The exams are on 22nd of June and the interviews are held late july to early august.
I dont think theyll reply to you about your application until all of the applications have closed (June 15th in Australia) because they need to let only a certain number of people through to the exams.

Theres my understanding lol 😌

because they need to let only a certain number of people through to the exams.
If you would be let to the exams, can you tell me what the questions there were?
Or maybe, can you foto this tests?

can you tell me what the questions there were?
Or maybe, can you foto this tests?
Try going here --> : studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj0308e.html#1
But sorry I cant photo the tests, Id be kicked out lol (if u mean during the exams...I may have got the wrong idea here lol)...
🙂

Try going here --> : studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj0308e.html#1
Yep, I know this site. I have looked there tests. But there is not 2011 tests.
But sorry I cant photo the tests, Id be kicked out lol
Ou yep, it is risky. Then can you write your answers of tests on paper and give me, please? I don`t sure that I will pass Japanese and English exams well...i need in a help, because i should pass the exams just in this year...there is many reasons... Or maybe can you help me to find the person who will agree to apply only to photo this tests ( i will pay, certainly). Maybe you could ask you friends or schoolmates who can perform this special work:)))

Of course there aren't the 2011 tests, because that's what You're gonna pass this year :D

- The tests will be held by the Japanese government or it depends on each country??
- How do I know that I got selected to pass the tests?
- If You got recommanded by your country, what's the chance that You won't benefit from the scholarship (because there is the final selection, If You're not selected then You're doomed?????)

Please someone clarify this to me :?

Of course there aren't the 2011 tests, because that's what You're gonna pass this year
Yea i know :D
- The tests will be held by the Japanese government or it depends on each country??
- How do I know that I got selected to pass the tests?
- If You got recommanded by your country, what's the chance that You won't benefit from the scholarship (because there is the final selection, If You're not selected then You're doomed?????)
- The tests will be held by the Japanese government, but in different days (that depends on each country)
- You could call the Embassy of Japan in your country
- If you got recommended by your country, your chance to receive the Scholarship are big))
When will be your exams?

Ou yep, it is risky. Then can you write your answers of tests on paper and give me, please? I don`t sure that I will pass Japanese and English exams well...i need in a help, because i should pass the exams just in this year...there is many reasons... Or maybe can you help me to find the person who will agree to apply only to photo this tests ( i will pay, certainly). Maybe you could ask you friends or schoolmates who can perform this special work:)))

You're actually being serious? Why would anyone go through the minefield of applying to a Japanese government scholarship just to illegally photograph a government-issued test while inside a government building? Do you have any idea what they would do to that person? Japan takes this scholarship very seriously. They're biting into their own budget to provide free education and stipends to foreigners to improve foreign relations and the inflow of good, intelligent, worthwhile scholars. They don't have to do this. I'm positive that anyone caught cheating would be dealt with in a very strict manner.

Furthermore, everyone in this scholarship competition has their reasons for applying. Many have few or no other options available to them if they don't get into this VERY exclusive scholarship program. And they are all taking these tests very seriously. Asking for all the answers to the current test, just because you "have to pass and won't do well," is incredibly offensive, and really, it just tells me that you don't deserve this scholarship. If you're worried about the tests, use the ones that are available and study your butt off. Some people got the scholarship with very low levels of Japanese. Others got it with high levels of Japanese. CHEATING isn't going to get you in, and it's unfair to all the other students who are trying to get in HONESTLY.

Please stop soliciting for government test answers on this forum.

Yay, there's finally an undergrad thread at this forum!
Akaitsume- are you applying for undergrad this year too? Which consulate do you go to? Everything's so much later here than in most countries. I'm glad though- I don't even GET my diploma until tomorrow, let alone being able to get a copy of it certified.

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. ^_^;; No, I applied for the postgrad scholarship last year. I got the embassy recommendation, which is why I got to spend a little time chatting with one of the interviewers/decision-makers. I went to the Detroit Consulate. Yeeeah, I had to do some fancy dancing with my diplomas, too. A written, signed statement that you are going to/have graduated from the registrar also qualifies, just fyi.

Hello all!
Would like to know, how long will the embassy take time to contact a successful candidate after the englisg test for the interview?

Sincerely...

Yea i know :D
- The tests will be held by the Japanese government, but in different days (that depends on each country)
- You could call the Embassy of Japan in your country
- If you got recommended by your country, your chance to receive the Scholarship are big))
When will be your exams?

mada wakaranai ☝ but I think somehow, after 20 june :D

I have to wait now and focus on my studies :D

Last edited:
akaitsume1,
Asking for all the answers to the current test, just because you "have to pass and won't do well," is incredibly offensive, and really, it just tells me that you don't deserve this scholarship.
Actually, you didn`t understand me. It is really hard to me to explain all.
If I pass I will DO WELL. Because I`m that kind of person. I really can achieve high level in Japanese in one year. I don`t want to boast, but I`m an A level student. If I pass I can prove true my abilities on 200%, that`s why I deserve this scholarship.
I would like to pass in this year, because if I won`t I should apply for the University in my country. In my country the system of the education is very strong, and to apply for the University is not easy. If I will do this then I should focus all my force on that, and I would not have a time for Japanese. And that all will be useless because I will study in Japan. Plus, I will lose one year.
No matter what, in this year or in the next I will get this Scholarship. That is my goal.
I think you couldn`t understand me...just forget. And sorry, please...

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. ^_^;; No, I applied for the postgrad scholarship last year. I got the embassy recommendation, which is why I got to spend a little time chatting with one of the interviewers/decision-makers. I went to the Detroit Consulate. Yeeeah, I had to do some fancy dancing with my diplomas, too. A written, signed statement that you are going to/have graduated from the registrar also qualifies, just fyi.
Haha, nah I'm going in tomorrow to get copies of my diploma certified. I have to go talk to my principal about his recommendation anyways because I don't think he got my email. Actually, speaking of recommendations, who did you get yours from? I was told not to get it from a teacher since it specifies principal or advisor, but I really think it's better to get it from somebody who actually knows me. :| Ah well, three and a half more weeks to decide.

Soul- Whether she misunderstood your reasons or not the point is you shouldn't cheat, and from what I've read in past threads you won't find anybody here that's willing to cheat for you. We're all also seriously trying for this scholarship and putting all of our effort into it. We aren't going to ruin all that by cheating for you, especially when there's no benefit at all for us.

Haha, nah I'm going in tomorrow to get copies of my diploma certified. I have to go talk to my principal about his recommendation anyways because I don't think he got my email. Actually, speaking of recommendations, who did you get yours from? I was told not to get it from a teacher since it specifies principal or advisor, but I really think it's better to get it from somebody who actually knows me. :| Ah well, three and a half more weeks to decide.

Did it say that? I got one from my academic advisor and one from my teacher/boss/research supervisor (he was my teacher first, then I started working for him, then I worked with him, lol). A teacher that knows you really well should be okay. I can't imagine them turning it down, since it's still a person who has monitored your progress and can vouch for what a good student you are. ^_^

Mmhmmm. It's in the guidelines at the end where they say what documents they need. I think I'll turn in both since I already got that recommendation anyways, and it looks like other people are turning in more than one.

:( I don't understand! Why are the passport photos they give you not the right size? The photo in my actual passport is the right size! It's the stupid English units system of measurement, isn't it? The doctor couldn't measure me in cm either, though they could weigh me in kg.

Aah, I gotcha. Yeah, you might as well turn both in.

They don't care too much if the picture's too big. They just end up shrinking it a bit for your school photo etc. As for height...you can probably just write it in (use google to convert it or something). 👍

Good luck! 📣

hi guys

im from malaysia, got short-listed for the interview by the embassy.

i was wondering if this means i've passed the secondary screening (which is mentioned in alot of posts) or the interview is the secondary screening?

one more thing, is there a chance to fail the interview?

thx in advance!!🙂

Does anyone have an idea on how the graduate exams weigh Japanese vs English? Insight much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom