What's new

MEXT Japanese Studies 2020/2021

flowerylingo

Registered
13 Mar 2020
I've been browsing through this forum for the past few weeks to gain some information regarding the scholarship, and I noticed that there's no forum discussion for this year applicants yet. I'm not even sure if this would get any traction, but it would be nice to know if there's anyone else out there who's applied for this year's MEXT Japanese Studies :)

Anyway, I already went for the interview on March 11, currently awaiting for the interview result as of the moment. If there's anyone else who applied, feel free to share your experience here as well!

Last edited:
Hi! I've just registered specially for this thread:LOL:.
I'm also a Nikkensei applicant who hopes to be able to study in Japan T_T. Does anyone have any news?

Hi! I've just registered specially for this thread:LOL:.
I'm also a Nikkensei applicant who hopes to be able to study in Japan T_T. Does anyone have any news?
Yay finally found a fellow applicant! Nope, I haven't gotten any contact from my embassy yet. They said they will inform latest by mid-August, however with the current condition in Japan now I'm not so sure either 😅

What about you?

Nice to meet you ^_^
My Embassy informed me that I've passed second screening, but they didn't say anything about the university or the date of arrival.
Are there many applicants in your country?

Nice to meet you ^_^
My Embassy informed me that I've passed second screening, but they didn't say anything about the university or the date of arrival.
Are there many applicants in your country?
Nice to meet you too! 😊 Congrats on passing the second screening!! I still haven't received any notification on whether I passed the second screening yet tho 😥
When did your embassy inform you?
Unfortunately, I'm the only one from my country so I'm going solo here 😂
What about your country?

Thank you ^_^
They sent me an email on June, 25. Did you try to contact your embassy?
Wow 0_0. But if you're the only one, I think you'll definitely pass the second screening ^_^.
There were 10 applicants from my country, but I don't know if all of them have passed the interview successfully

Yes I did but they said because of the current corona situation things are moving slower than usual so I have no choice but to just wait 😥 Hopefully I'll get the result soon!
Where did you apply to btw? My choices are Kobe City University of Foreign Studies, Aichi Shukutoku and Toyama!
Also, have you taken the JLPT? I was planning to take N2 this month but since it's cancelled seems like I'm still stuck with N3 for the time being! 😂

Oh my, what a surprise :LOL: . My third choice is Toyama, too.
I've also applied to Hiroshima and Nagoya.
And yes, I've passed JLPT N2 in the winter. Unfortunately, in my country we don't have the summer JLPT at all.
What did you choose: Japanese language or Japanese culture?

Where did you apply to btw? My choices are Kobe City University of Foreign Studies, Aichi Shukutoku and Toyama!

Congratulations on passing the first screening!
Not sure about the other two but Kobe is a nice location for foreigners to live. The university is near my parents in law and very convenient as not too far from the center of Kobe, and has lots of nice facilities around it. If you choose to go there and pass the screening let me know and I can help you out in Kobe as I have been living here for over the past 13 years.

Good luck to you both and hope to see more in this thread even though Corona has made things a bit harder.

Oh my, what a surprise :LOL: . My third choice is Toyama, too.
I've also applied to Hiroshima and Nagoya.
And yes, I've passed JLPT N2 in the winter. Unfortunately, in my country we don't have the summer JLPT at all.
What did you choose: Japanese language or Japanese culture?
I see!! Haha it would be funny if we somehow ended up in Toyama tho 🤣🤣
I chose Japanese Language! What about you?

Congratulations on passing the first screening!
Not sure about the other two but Kobe is a nice location for foreigners to live. The university is near my parents in law and very convenient as not too far from the center of Kobe, and has lots of nice facilities around it. If you choose to go there and pass the screening let me know and I can help you out in Kobe as I have been living here for over the past 13 years.

Good luck to you both and hope to see more in this thread even though Corona has made things a bit harder.
Oh my god thank you so much for the offer! Will let you know once I got the result 😊
And yes, one of the main reasons why I chose Kobe is because it looks like such a nice city to live in. Besides, I heard that Kansai people are friendlier and more relaxed compared to Tokyo 😂

Yes, it would be an interesting coincidence :D
I chose Japanese language, too. I hope it will be a good opportunity to improve my speaking. How was your interview?

My interview actually went longer than expected, but that was mainly because they were discussing among themselves when I answered their questions 😂
The interviewers were very nice and supportive, even when I thought I said something stupid through my limited Japanese 😂😂
How was yours?

It was really short, the interviewers just asked me about my motivation and reasons I'm studying Japanese.
And they were talking really slooowly at first :LOL:. But they were very kind, too :3

Good to hear that! I think basically they just wanna see what kind of person you are based on what you've written on the application 😄
They mostly asked me questions about my future plan that I've written on the application and pretty much the same as yours too.
Hopefully everything will go well!

How does the interview go? Is it an online interview?
My interview was at the embassy, just a week shy before our country was put in a partial lockdown 😂 Thank goodness for that! I think online interview would make me more nervous.
Actually during my interview day there were other candidates for Teacher Training program, and my interview was supposed to last 20 minutes but I think it went over 30 minutes 😂

My interview was also offline and I had to travel to another city to take it (no complaints, though, because I really enjoyed it)

It looks like my sempai from the university was contacted today to inform that she'll study in Hokkaido. I haven't got any news, though, so it's still a little bit frustrating 😅

Omg so lucky!!! Same here, I haven't received any news yet 😭 the wait is so painful
Will your senpai travel to Japan in autumn?

Yes, hopefully we'll receive news from our embassy soon!! Did your senpai get the daigaku she chose?

Yes, it was her first choice. At least, it's a good sign that universities started to contact prospective students:unsure:

Back
Top Bottom