What's new

MEXT Japanese Studies 2017/2018

I've got my ticket but no info about where I'll be living. No dorm options or anything else. I'm kind of tempted to email the school and ask for information, but I don't want to be a bother if some sort of arrangements are still in the works.

I was also told by my embassy that I would need to pay that airport tax out of pocket. There was no word as to whether it would be reimbursed.

I've got my ticket but no info about where I'll be living. No dorm options or anything else. I'm kind of tempted to email the school and ask for information, but I don't want to be a bother if some sort of arrangements are still in the works.

I was also told by my embassy that I would need to pay that airport tax out of pocket. There was no word as to whether it would be reimbursed.
When will you go to Japan? And the airport tax will not be reimbursed by MEXT.

I got my eticket as well, and the travel agency told me I will have to pay for the airport taxes.

Concerning the dorm Hikari, I didn't get any info neither, I guess they will inform us when they have the info themselves. If I have still no news 10 days before my leaving, I will send an e-mail. No news neither to know if they received my orientation tests or not.

@hnl I leave on the 24th, so there's still some time.

Today I got an email from Osaka university asking for our Japanese cell phone number (if we have one) in case of emergencies. They also said they would inform us in September about what will happen on our arrival day and where we will live.

No not yet. I was thinking of trying Rakuten mobile with 10GB first (they offer internet free for two months) and if I need more I might get the U-mobile max sim. I've been using the free hotspots in Kyoto until now. And it's pretty decent but the problem is that there aren't hotspots everywhere. T-T how about you?
And I wouldn't want to purchase anyting with my Romanian debit card here because the rate is bad. I think that I can wait until next week until I get my yucho card.
@alchie Did you buy the sim card?

No not yet. I was thinking of trying Rakuten mobile with 10GB first (they offer internet free for two months) and if I need more I might get the U-mobile max sim. I've been using the free hotspots in Kyoto until now. And it's pretty decent but the problem is that there aren't hotspots everywhere. T-T how about you?
And I wouldn't want to purchase anyting with my Romanian debit card here because the rate is bad. I think that I can wait until next week until I get my yucho card.
I bought a prepaid sim card 1GB for 1 month. I went to Big Camera and they said you need a credit card to buy a contract sim card so I have no other choice but the pre paid sim (~2700¥).

I bought a prepaid sim card 1GB for 1 month. I went to Big Camera and they said you need a credit card to buy a contract sim card so I have no other choice but the pre paid sim (~2700¥).
that's why I chose to wait until I get my Yucho card xD

I did some research on SIM cards and it looked like Mobal had the best plan. As I recall, you get voice, text and unlimited data for about ¥4,000 a month. It's what I plan to get.

I did some research on SIM cards and it looked like Mobal had the best plan. As I recall, you get voice, text and unlimited data for about ¥4,000 a month. It's what I plan to get.
That's awesome. I'll try to get some info on it. Thanks.
But do they limit your data traffic?

I hope, for those who are already in Japan, that you're having a good time there. How were your first weeks?

I received an mail from Osaka Daigaku and I'll be placed in the Dorm 1 (which is apparently well-known in the campus for being the "worst" dorm between the 2 available. Anyway, that's ok, it's just too bad that the bathrooms and toilets are shared and that it's normally a dorm for boys only). For the girls going to Handai, in which Dorm have you been placed in?

I received an mail from Osaka Daigaku and I'll be placed in the Dorm 1 (which is apparently well-known in the campus for being the "worst" dorm between the 2 available. Anyway, that's ok, it's just too bad that the bathrooms and toilets are shared and that it's normally a dorm for boys only). For the girls going to Handai, in which Dorm have you been placed in?

I'm in the Momiji Dorm. I'm not sure whether that's 1 or 2. I asked about finding my own accommodations and was told I have to live there for at least 2-3 months before I'm able to move out. I don't know, that just seems so arbitrary. Why should it matter?

@Oaneyl @HikariKaitou It seems I was placed in the Momiji Dormitory as well. However, I have already signed a contract for an apartment. I told this to the CJLC when I responded to their emails about the airport arrival and dorm placement but received no response. I sent another email today informing them that I have already signed a contract and will not be staying in the dorms. I'll wait for a reply and see, I guess. Because I've already signed a contract, I don't think they can make me live in the dorms. I never signed anything agreeing to live in the dorms but I did sign a contract for an apartment.

@Kyrie I've never heard of a real estate company that allows you to sign the lease without being physically present. Are you already in Japan?

If it was possible for you to do it from afar, I'd really like to be able to do the same thing. I have some health concerns that make me incredibly uncomfortable with communal living, but I'm also really worried about mentioning that to the CJLC. I don't want them to misunderstand and think I'm unfit for the program or life overseas...

@HikariKaitou I found my apartment through the Osaka University Co-op. I emailed them, explained that I would like to have a room immediately upon my arrival in Japan, and they have worked with me. I'm still in the US. I arrive on the 25th, the same as you. I will sign off on the paper contract and receive my keys to move in on the 26th. The agency said that by signing the document they emailed me I cannot cancel, just like a physical contract. I will PM you the details.

I
Any update about the simcard? I went to Yodobashi and they all asked about my credit card.
It turns out that yucho card is a cash card I don't know what that exactly is. Anyway I ordered myself a sim card from Dmm mobile with 10gb per month with my debit card from my home country :(. I didn't want to pay any additional fees in the beginning.
But you could try ordering from one from the rakuten mobile site (you have to pay a 3349 yen fee in the beginning though). You can pay with your yucho bank account there. Or rental wimax but it tends to get expensive.
After all of the research that I have done I think that I am going to apply for the nasic internet when we recieve the first scholarship in October.

I

It turns out that yucho card is a cash card I don't know what that exactly is. Anyway I ordered myself a sim card from Dmm mobile with 10gb per month with my debit card from my home country :emoji_frowning2:. I didn't want to pay any additional fees in the beginning.
But you could try ordering from one from the rakuten mobile site (you have to pay a 3349 yen fee in the beginning though). You can pay with your yucho bank account there. Or rental wimax but it tends to get expensive.
After all of the research that I have done I think that I am going to apply for the nasic internet when we recieve the first scholarship in October.
So you will apply for the fixed line Nasic net?

Hey guys I haven't checked this forum in a long time...
Reminder that there is a Facebook page for the people who got the scholarship!
The name is: MEXT (Japanese Studies) Receipients 2017-2018

I am going to Kobe University and was able to get a super nice apartment for 500 bucks a month literally right by my school. It's up on the mountain and overlooks Kobe city and the ocean. It didn't have 資金、but it did have 礼金。I ended up paying about $2,000 in initial fees, such as pesticide fee, realtor fee, security deposit, first months rent, etc. I was able to sign the contract and sign up for everything before arriving in Japan, so I will be able to land in Japan and go straight to my apartment. Kobe University acted as my guarantor.

Back
Top Bottom