What's new

MEXT from October 2011 - Are fears of reduced budget valid?

TheJoker

後輩
22 Mar 2011
Hi. I have been told that I have essentially secured a postgraduate MEXT scholarship scheduled to start from October this year. (I say "essentially secured" because I have not actually signed any contract, but I have been told that all candidates in the past 10 years or so who have made it this far have received a scholarship, provided that all their paperwork was in order.)

However, this was before the earthquake/tsunami, and before the government suddenly had a 100 billion-dollar (or something like that) rebuilding task on their hands.

Do you think it's a valid fear that this cost will cut into this year's education budget, and that the number of scholarships offered will be reduced?

Note: I know that my concern is minuscule compared to the suffering that many are enduring as a result of this disaster, but this question is quite important to my future.

me too T^T
im so scared...ive already got the LoA from TokyoTech for doctoral program
i have a chance to apply for doctoral in my recent univ. but, I choose Japan, of course, over it.
...i only can pray and wait till July

btw, they ve already reduced the stipend,
from 155,000 yen (official from April 2011) to 150,000 yen, newest info after the earthquake

Hi, I'm in the April intake and as far as I'm concerned along with most others, it seems, everything is going ahead according to schedule. I don't think there should be much cause for concern of any further reductions to the scholarship at this time. In a sense it's a valid concern, but I would be quite surprised if they made any changes this year. If anything, Japan will most likely want to maintain its strong image, especially in the face of adversity. That's just politics! :)

Oh sorry, I guess I didn't really address that aspect of it. You're correct, the stipend was reduced to 150,000 yen/month, but that was before the disaster and I believe it was actually only reduced from 152,000 yen/month, which is like $20, i.e. very minimal.

I am wondered some questions about MEXT as it is very important for my current future. Please Answer the questions below with proper discussion:
1. I am scholar already funding by organization and I don't like this current program. So, I am thinking to apply for MEXT in this year, and If I will be selected then I would reject my current scholarship program. Is there any problem as I have found that "Persons already with financial support from their government or other organizations are not eligible for this scholarship." I am worried about it, please suggest me what should I do now? I extremely want to study to Japan and after final selection, I would like reject my current running scholarship program.

2. I am thinking to apply through university recommendation, I have found from some other people that this year (as for huge earthquake and tsunami) the scholarship fund and number of scholars would be reduced (I know this question should not be asked now at least in the present situation, but I just want to know).

Funding & Number Reduction

Dear all members in this post:
Im writing in corresponding to this post. Im currently a MEXT scholar in Japan & I have been studying here for 2 years. Responding to the above mentioned post, I can informed all of you guys, that YES- Japan is reducing the number of foreign applicants & including the funding as well. I have been the part of the meeting for discussion on this surprising matters in Kyoto University....but for the new applicants from this year onwards, your application will be more difficult & funding will be reduced.

me too T^T
im so scared...ive already got the LoA from TokyoTech for doctoral program
i have a chance to apply for doctoral in my recent univ. but, I choose Japan, of course, over it.
...i only can pray and wait till July

btw, they ve already reduced the stipend,
from 155,000 yen (official from April 2011) to 150,000 yen, newest info after the earthquake

Why would you felt scared?...150K is more than enough, you are here for education, not for entertainment....spent only on those necessities, worked hard on your study....

Why would you felt scared?...150K is more than enough, you are here for education, not for entertainment....spent only on those necessities, worked hard on your study....

it will be more than enough if you live somewhere in Kyushu or some other smaller city,
but for Tokyo...hmmm, im not sure...i asked my seniors in Tokyo, they said it would be "enough".
:?

Dear all members in this post:
Im writing in corresponding to this post. Im currently a MEXT scholar in Japan & I have been studying here for 2 years. Responding to the above mentioned post, I can informed all of you guys, that YES- Japan is reducing the number of foreign applicants & including the funding as well. I have been the part of the meeting for discussion on this surprising matters in Kyoto University....but for the new applicants from this year onwards, your application will be more difficult & funding will be reduced.
Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, I'd like to ask about my personal situation.

My program was scheduled to start in October this year, and the number of positions etc was stated from about November last year. At the start of February I was informed that I was shortlisted, and when I asked my proposed supervising professor, he told me that meant I was successful, and being "shortlisted" was just a formality untilthey had verified my information and all the paperwork was sorted. So of course, I was already well through the application stage before the earthquake hit. However, I believe the government still has to sign off on it, and this was expected to take place around June. Do you think that such October 2011 positions could be cut this late into the process?

Thanks.

I am in the same position as you. But I give my best wishes to Japan and believe everything would go as planned.

I believe it's highly unlikely that they will make any cuts, but anything is possible.

it will be more than enough if you live somewhere in Kyushu or some other smaller city,
but for Tokyo...hmmm, im not sure...i asked my seniors in Tokyo, they said it would be "enough".
:?

Its enough, Japanese students have a much struggling life than you. Only spent those necessities, search for relatively affordable apartment , but not those luxurious, you can survive, even with extra savings, even in Tokyo.

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, I'd like to ask about my personal situation.
My program was scheduled to start in October this year, and the number of positions etc was stated from about November last year. At the start of February I was informed that I was shortlisted, and when I asked my proposed supervising professor, he told me that meant I was successful, and being "shortlisted" was just a formality untilthey had verified my information and all the paperwork was sorted. So of course, I was already well through the application stage before the earthquake hit. However, I believe the government still has to sign off on it, and this was expected to take place around June. Do you think that such October 2011 positions could be cut this late into the process?
Thanks.

It doesnt matter whether you are April intake or October intake. Decision on cutting payment has been decided. All MEXT scholarship (except my batch of course) start from 2011 will be cut. Thats the final decision.

Actually the original decision from internal was to reduced the "number" of international students but not the "amount" of payment, but these policy might affect all the international students who are currently studying in Japan. Strong protest from Professors & Universities makes the government changed their policy, instead of reducing the number, they maintained it, but cutting down the payment.

Otherwise, you might not be able to come here.

My advise is, the current payment for you guys is ENOUGH, so please don't worry. you guys came here to study, not to enjoyed

Outstander, thank you very much of your information. I am very positive in going to Japan in October.

yosha, oinorishimasho!
nobody cant tell how I miss Japan so much...戻りたい!
Lots of things happen when i was there 2008-2009
@skyer
you ll be in TokyoTech rite?

It doesnt matter whether you are April intake or October intake. Decision on cutting payment has been decided. All MEXT scholarship (except my batch of course) start from 2011 will be cut. Thats the final decision.
Actually the original decision from internal was to reduced the "number" of international students but not the "amount" of payment, but these policy might affect all the international students who are currently studying in Japan. Strong protest from Professors & Universities makes the government changed their policy, instead of reducing the number, they maintained it, but cutting down the payment.
Otherwise, you might not be able to come here.
My advise is, the current payment for you guys is ENOUGH, so please don't worry. you guys came here to study, not to enjoyed

If the decision is not reducing the 'number' then it's a relief to hear so.
At the very least, the chance of us being accepted hasn't lowered.

What remains is to hope that we'll all get our good news.

Back
Top Bottom