What's new

Medical conditions and MEXT

zunar

Registered
23 Feb 2017
Hello everyone. I've recently found this forum and it's great help.
I am a BA of Graphic Deisgn and I tried applying for MEXT last year but I got rejected on the research proposal. This year I want to try again. However, during this time, I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder. I am treating it and it is under control and I don't think it will hinder my studies. With that said, I know that I need to bring some medications to Japan and probably I won't be able to buy them there because they are very peculiar. The other thing is that I think I will be rejected even if my health is good in the first place because of the strict rules and I understand their point.
What do you think I should do? Should I talk to the embessy advisors about it? Or should I tell my research advisor in Japan? Or should I tell this on the interview (if I pass the other exams)?
Thank you!

I don't have direct experience with this, but since no one has answered your question -

What do you think I should do? Should I talk to the embessy advisors about it? Or should I tell my research advisor in Japan? Or should I tell this on the interview (if I pass the other exams)?

YES definitely ask the embassy about it BEFORE the interview. Because if it's an issue and they decide not to accept you for it, you'll just have been wasting everyone's time up until the interview, including your own.

However if you can convince them your condition is under control (you'll probably need a detailed doctor's note) I don't believe they would discount you. Most people have some kind of medical issue that requires them to see a doctor occasionally.

You can also try asking in the main MEXT graduate thread, someone else might have a similar experience to you.

Last year there was a girl with some type of health condition, she made it to the interview, but they rejected her due to the medical condition, she was told that if she was healthy, she would have passed that phase, but that they simply cannot risk someone having a serious medical case in Japan when they know they are prone to it.

So, better ask before you even start the process, so as to not have your hopes up if you should not have them.

Back
Top Bottom