What's new

Meaning of a sentence with 大人気 連載 中

Beablsh

Registered
26 Apr 2022
Hi there and thank you very much for your time.
I am trying to figure out the meaning of the following sentence from a manga cover:
"[Manga Title]" は 週刊 Shounen Champion にて 大人気 連載 中!
Especially the last part with "great popularity" and "serialization" escapes my understanding as I do not understand their connection.
Again, thank you very much for your help.

Hi there and thank you very much for your time.
I am trying to figure out the meaning of the following sentence from a manga cover:
"[Manga Title]" は 週刊 Shounen Champion にて 大人気 連載 中!
Especially the last part with "great popularity" and "serialization" escapes my understanding as I do not understand their connection.
Again, thank you very much for your help.
I guess that the manga is currently being published in the weekly manga magazine Shounen Champion one section at a time (serialized) and it's very popular there.

I guess that the manga is currently being published in the weekly manga magazine Shounen Champion one section at a time (serialized) and it's very popular there.
Thank you for your response, it does help in terms of understanding the sentence. Still, I am having difficulties with translating the above japanese statement into a proper english sentence. The beginning is relatively easy. It would be sth. like: "[Manga Title] at Shounen Champion". The ending however, if find hard to interpret.

Well the original is not a complete, grammatical sentence. Do you want it to sound like advertising like the original or just a grammatical sentence?
For the latter, maybe something like:
[Manga Title] is currently published weekly in Shounen Champion where it's very popular.

Well the original is not a complete, grammatical sentence. Do you want it to sound like advertising like the original or just a grammatical sentence?
For the latter, maybe something like:
[Manga Title] is currently published weekly in Shounen Champion where it's very popular.
Ah I see, so some words are missing from the original sentence to make it sound more like an advertisement. The translated sentence is great, thank you very much for that. Do you maybe have a clue on which words are missing from the sentence?

Ah I see, so some words are missing from the original sentence to make it sound more like an advertisement. The translated sentence is great, thank you very much for that. Do you maybe have a clue on which words are missing from the sentence?
[Manga Title]は週刊少年チャンピオンにて大人気連載中です

Thus, it's OK just to add the copula to the end of the phrase to change it to a complete sentence.

[Manga Title]は週刊少年チャンピオンにて大人気連載中です

Thus, it's OK just to add the copula to the end of the phrase to change it to a complete sentence.
There are no restrictions to combining words like this?
I can say
週刊少年チャンピオンにて大人気発売中です
週刊少年チャンピオンにて大人気新発売連載中です
etc
?

It totally depends on the context. I can't imagine what is selling in a weekly manga magazine. Also, 大人気新発売 and 新発売連載中 don't make sense.

It totally depends on the context. I can't imagine what is selling in a weekly manga magazine. Also, 大人気新発売 and 新発売連載中 don't make sense.
No I mean from a grammatical perspective -- combining unrelated words. Or we can treat 大人気連載中 as one word/concept so it's ok?

大人気 can function as an adjective (e.g. 大人気商品 = 大人気の商品) or adverb (e.g. 大人気発売中 = 大人気で発売中) in a compound word. It's adverbial also in 大人気連載中, so it's not "unrelated". Thus, if it's unrelated or semantically odd, like 大人気新発売, it's invalid.

Back
Top Bottom