What's new

Letter from Japan

Puroresu

Registered
23 Apr 2020
Hello!

My grandma is half-Japanese and grew up outside Japan. She recently found a letter among her dad's belongings, and since she knew very little about his life in Japan, she wondered what the letter is about.

The letter is a bit long, and we don't expect a full translation; we just want to know a little bit more about our relative because he talked very little about his life in Japan, and he never came back to Japan. My grandma is the last of his surviving children, she lives in Mexico and is in her 90s.

We appreciate any help you can provide.
1.png
1.png
2_.png
3_.png
4_.png
5_.png

Picture 1
Summer season greetings, how are you? I and our family are fine, I haven't heard from you for a long time, so I'm sincerely concerned about you. I guess your children grow up, and you take care of them.
I drew omikuji(divine oracle), but it's not so good. Please tell my regards to your wife. Since you are living in a foreign country, I deeply wish you take care of yourself.
sincerely yours.
From Sōhei's mother, June 1931

Picture 2
written by 山本安太郎 Yamamoto Yasutarō (your great grandfather's brother).

Picture 3
The lower half of Picture 5.

Picture 4
Written by Yasutarō.
This letter is interesting. In this letter, he wrote that he canceled his son Yasuyuki's trip because of economic depression. He also wrote that his son might be able to go at the end of the year or next year, so please take care of him at the time. It seems that his son Yasuyuki had a plan to go to your great grandfather's place.

Picture 5
Written by Yasutarō.
This letter seems to be written before the letter in the picture 4. He wrote "if (he) can get a licence (or permission) and make an overseas journey" at the biggining of the letter.
Yasutarō's first son Yasuyuki is 19 years old, second son ? (進 Susumu?) is 16 and graduated from a higher primary school, first daughter ミツノ Mitsuno is 11, and second daughter is 久子 Hisako (her age is not written). He mentioned the rice price in 1930 and 1931, so the letter would be written in around those years.

Hello! Thanks a lot once again, Toritoribe. I will pass the translation to my grandma. We felt very touched by the message from my great grand parent's mother.

Cheers,

According to the letter, Yasuyuki (Yasutarō's first son, i.e., your great grandfather's nephew) was 19 years old in 1931, and he was 46 in a picture you posted in your previous thread, so the picture would be taken in 1958 or around the time.

Also, Yoshizaki Masayoshi was 43 years old in that picture, and he was 27 in the picture of the wedding of Yoshizaki Masayoshi and Yamamoto Mitsuno (Yasutarō's first daughter, i.e., your great grandfather's niece), so this picture would be taken in 1942 or around the time. It's written that Mitsuno was 22 years old at the time, and she was 11 in 1931, according to the letter, so this would be correct.

Thanks, Toritoribe-さん, I think we have a clear idea about the dates now thanks to your kind help. We are still wondering why great-grandpa Sōhei changed from Yamamoto to Yoshizaki when coming to Mexico. But we are very pleased with your help!

どうもありがとう!

Back
Top Bottom