What's new

1945 war letter ?

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
A fellow Navy friend found this in his dead grandfather's belongings. He wonders if someone can give him a general idea what the letter is about.
jw.jpg
jw.jpg

It's the schedule of the head of the local farmland promotion union in Kunigami county, Okinawa prefecture. The writer and head of the local union is Shinkichi (?) Shinjō. It covers the period of May 5th to June 29th, but it doesn't mention the year. It discusses various meetings planned for the union: what other agricultural groups they would meet with, why certain meetings got delayed (outbreak of dengue fever) etc...

The man had very beautiful handwriting.

I hope I'll be forgiven for echoing the thought, but that is seriously beautiful handwriting. It might not be too much of a stretch to give consideration to the writer being a teacher. Or was a teacher at some point in his life.

Thanks so much for the help ! There were about 20 people on Facebook dying to know what the letter said. It's a closed group of old Navy people and now they are all talking about going through their fathers things to do with WWII in the Pacific. All of agree that our fathers never talked about the war. I never knew much about my dad until he died and I came across his old Navy info. Thanks again for the help.

From the beginning, it also seemed to be written from wartime, quite an interesting find.
I'm interested to see if there are letters like that written by soldiers.

Back
Top Bottom