What's new

Paybook 1938-1945

alvaro

Kouhai
7 Nov 2017
Hello.
I have recently bought another old paybook from japan.
I am trying to discover if this man took part in a battle in China in 1942 or not.
I have underlined the area in the pic.

I have discovered that before this action, he arrived in China, then he went across the Yang Tse river and finally he arrived in Hangzhou.
Let's see if someone can help me to discover what happened.
Inked558_LIxx.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Seems to be a page from 1943 (Showa 18), and after he arrived in Hangzhou he got sick from some unidentified illness and seems to have spent the rest of his time being transferred from one army hospital to another.

Edit: I should say he participated in one battle before he got sick. From May 30th to June 14th he participated in a battle, the location of which is unreadable to me (析-something). It must be around the Hangzhou area. Anyway, on the 15th of June he got sick, and that seems to be the end of his active duty.

Last edited:
I am trying to discover if this man took part in a battle in China in 1942 or not.
五月三十日六月十四日迄淅?(第二期)作戰参加

Yes, he joined in a campaign (the second 淅? campaign) from May 30 to June 14. If the end of the previous page is 昭和十七, it continues to the beginning of the right page 年二月二日, so it refers to May/June in 1942, as you interpreted.

then he went across the Yang Tse river
It's 揚子江通過, not just 揚子江, thus, he passed through the estuary of the Yang Tse river on May 24, not going across the river.

Incidentally, the name of his illness 第七八胸椎カリエス "the 7th and 8th thoracic spinal caries" was added to the right of 病名未定.

Thank you both for this interesting information, and thanks for the clarification.:emoji_thumbsup:

Hello.

I have finally identified it.

五月三十日六月十四日迄 浙贛(第二期)作戰参加

The Zhejiang-Jiangxi campaign 浙贛作戦 Operation Sei-go. 15 May – 4 September 1942.

Ah, I see. The kanji next to 浙 is indeed 贛. The Japanese pronunciation of the word is Sekkan, though.

浙贛作戦とその前後
セッカン サクセン ト ソノ ゼンゴ

Back
Top Bottom