What's new

Learning Japanese / How to start

Snakeboghy

Registered
30 Dec 2015
Hy there, im Alex, and im looking for some advice to start learning Japanese from the basics.
Hope someone can share his experience and show me the right way to do it.
Reguards

Last edited by a moderator:
Hy,i think u should watch anime subbed for starters if u like to watch anime
So that u may not know about the word but u understand the expression....

To start I personally borrowed a Japanese learning book from my local library. For learning proper pronunciation I would suggest watching some sort of program in Japanese, like anime, as well as a group that you meet with regularly that has native speakers. Once you understand basics communicating and asking questions of native speakers is going to be your best help.

I would first start by learning Hiragana/Katakana. Shouldn't take too long to learn them if you do not already know them. When learning them though focus on the pronunciation as well. This will start you with a solid foundation. Then it would depend on what your main goal is. A: Speaking or B: Reading.

For A: I would try and find audio CD's such as Pimsler or JapanesePod101, that kind of route. This will allow you to focus on learning to say new words but not have to worry about writing or reading new words. It is possible for someone to speak a language and not read it. Also I LOVE Anime, however I feel if you are watching something to learn pronunciation a Japanese Drama would be a much better idea, Anime uses a lot of slang and you cannot "read lips" or true body language through it.

For B: I would find a good self learn book. Genki I and II come to mind but there are plenty out there. Also websites like Memrise which have courses are great as well. Get accustomed with an SRS (spaced repetition system) such as Anki or Memrise(site based on SRS).

I personally have started out kind of all over the place and am now in a way starting over. My family bought me TextFugu and I re-started that. It is very much for beginners but is set up in a nice way to kind of guide you along. I find it enjoyable.

The number one thing I can recommend is to realize this process takes time, how long will it take you to become "fluent" is all about the amount of time put into studying.

I hope this wasnt too confusing feel free to ask me anything along your journey as I am happy to share.

Thanks,

Hey, I cannot give you any advice because I'm in the same situation but I can wish you good luck! ^^ I also want to learn japanese and I start with anime and katakana and hiragana... anime really help me,even if it's sub in eng, I hear and I can associate... just give a try... and find some people who speak jap and eng ;)
Hmm and you can do another thing,why don't you translate a word per day? :) you can start with the basics like good morning (ohaio) or sure ( mociron),mom,dad,whether etc. And another thing is to download a application with jap exercises,it s fun and you can take it like a game when you wait the bus or something... good luck 👍

Back
Top Bottom