What's new

Kanji logo help

DaveNinja

Registered
8 Jun 2016
Our band is called 'Twelve Foot Ninja ' and we have seen this written in these two ways. Which logo looks more natural to the Japanese eye?

Attachments

• revised logo.pdf
    342.2 KB · Views: 222
  • Kanji (White Background).jpg
    Kanji (White Background).jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 288
I'd suggest translating the "feet" to the traditional Japanese measurement "shaku", which is very nearly the same length and will look better than either of those, in my opinion.

十二尺忍者

And use the older kanji for the numbers

拾弐尺忍者

Since that's not what you asked, the one on the left is better.

Caveat: I don't have Japanese eyes

I'd suggest translating the "feet" to the traditional Japanese measurement "shaku", which is very nearly the same length and will look better than either of those, in my opinion.

十二尺忍者

And use the older kanji for the numbers

拾弐尺忍者

Since that's not what you asked, the one on the left is better.

Caveat: I don't have Japanese eyes

Thanks Mike. Are there any native Japanese natives who can lend their opinion too?

I'm not Japanese, but will chime in anyway...
First of all, without question the version on the left is better than the one on the right. Any Japanese person will tell you that.
Secondly, there actually is a kanji for the foot unit of measurement: 呎.
It's not in common use anymore, but I think it looks cool.
If it is important that Japanese people be able to read your logo, though, you should stick with what you already have.
As for the numbers, I think the ones you already have are fine. The ones Mike suggests are not actually older, but are used in legal documents to prevent fraud. In my opinion, they are too complex and cluttered for your logo.
So, in summary, my recommendation would be as in the attached file. But, again, if readability is at all important, then just stick with what you have.
12ftninja.png

The OP's examples are not appropriate since フット is not used as a unit in Japanese and the position of each characters/letters are odd.

Back
Top Bottom