What's new

Just how much radiation is in those frequent X-rays in Japanese clinics?

Emoni

先輩
20 Sep 2003
Hello all, it's been a while. At a clinic in Japan and had dental work done lately as well so I was reminded of this question. How much radiation am I being exposed to in Japan with all these X-rays?

Now, it might seem like a simple answer, but I'm asking this with consideration that these xray machines often seem to be very old, and almost never do I see protective vests used. Further more, they seem to take ample numbers of X-rays as well, so I worry a bit about how much I'm really exposing myself too. I've learned to have little trust in the doctors in Japan after several awful experiences and frequent incompetence, so I don't find myself so trustful of the practices with X-ray machines either.

Thanks all

well, I would say that if you are not in a clinic that is using Frankenstein like machines you are probably OK.

Japan has pretty good tech (better than NA IMO on average) but poor centralisation so you could theoretically hit about 1000 hospitals and X-ray yourself to death. But failing that death wish, you are probably OK. A lot of things that are standard in Japan but not commonly done by many people outside Japan (because of cost IMO) which are advised are things like an annual chest x-ray.

In general health care is good here.

cheers

This is a web page in Japanese but you can find some indication of the radiation by X-rays at dental clinics.
ナス窶「窶ーテ鞍椎槌停?愴暖ニ嘆ニ停?懌?堙娯?「テコナステ仰静シ窶氾看?テョ窶話窶冦ナスツッ

口内法 Intraoral (small images) 0.01 to 0.03 mSv
パノラマ Panorama (big images) 0.02 to 0.03 mSv

CT Scan (head) : 0.5 mSv
X-ray (chest) : 0.3 mSv
X-ray (stomach) : 4.1 mSv
Flying between Tokyo and New York by a plane (return journey) : 0.2 mSv
Average radiation a Japanese person got from nature during 1 year: 1.1 mSv

Only 8 teeth left !

I think I've spent about 1/3 of my life in the dentist chair starting around 1956. I'm sure I've had over 1000 x-rays , many with the old Frankenstine machines. I don't remember the use of the lead aprons until about 8 years ago. So far I have not grown 2 heads or had any ill effects except for false teeth.

Uncle Frank

😊

I think I've spent about 1/3 of my life in the dentist chair starting around 1956. I'm sure I've had over 1000 x-rays , many with the old Frankenstine machines. I don't remember the use of the lead aprons until about 8 years ago. So far I have not grown 2 heads or had any ill effects except for false teeth.

Uncle Frank

😊

lol ..... you may have to post a picture to convince us Uncle Frank!

:)

If she started out looking like she was wearing Billy-Bob teeth, almost anything would be an improvement. We can't help what we are born with, but it's nice to know that cosmetic dentistry has made huge advances recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
If she started out looking like she was wearing Billy-Bob teeth, almost anything would be an improvement. We can't help what we are born with, but it's nice to know that cosmetic dentistry has made huge advances recently.

You joined us just to link that?

Last edited by a moderator:
No I want become a permanent member on this forum and will post the things regularly.

Oh, then welcome to the forum. Happy to have you. Will your posts sometimes be relevant to the threads you post them in?

Oh, then welcome to the forum. Happy to have you. Will your posts sometimes be relevant to the threads you post them in?

Yes ofcourse i will post always according to the thread and topic as i did the 1st one. I am happy to talk with you as you are gold member of this forum. Nice to meet you hope you will help me.

Yes ofcourse i will post always according to the thread and topic as i did the 1st one. I am happy to talk with you as you are gold member of this forum. Nice to meet you hope you will help me.

Hmm... this makes me wonder how your first post is related to this thread at all... who is "she"? (*shrug*)

I can't understand the dramatic deterioration in syntax between his first and subsequent posts. It is hard to imagine they were composed by the same person.

Back
Top Bottom