What's new

How much money does building a house in Japan cost?

MotomanInuyasha

モトクロス
24 Jun 2005
How much money would building a three bedroom house cost? Not sure if I want a one story house or two........ I plan on moving to Japan (within the next two years) and the last time I was there it was hard to find a decent apartment.I think it was because I'm not 100% Japanese or was it because I was a forgiener, argh I cant remmeber but it was hard to find a place to stay. I can speak Japanese and I can read most of it but not all of it (kanji is what gets me) and I'm taking classes on that. In the event that I decide to stay over there permently how do I go about that, like getting the paper work etc. Lol, I have just one more question What type of bilingual jobs do they have over there and how much do they pay, not for me asking for my little brother (17) who is 1 year younger then me.

Hello Motomaninuyasha.. welcome to Jref first of all!!!

you want to live in japan, you have a job there? what will you do first of all? i think you know you should have a job , etc ... get a gaijin card!

no idea about how much Building a house cost.. but i think it is pretty expensive as building houses in japan is what makes japan so expensive !!!!

please tell us more about your plan...

btw about bilingual work, just GOOGLE around, im sure you will find a lot.. it is pretty good money .. but you should have your contacs and expierence!!!

Ganbatte!!!

My parents said that they will meet me halfway on the cost of the house so needless to say I will be working for the other half of the costs my last two years in the states. As for a job the first thing I will do is get a job that requires a bilingual person (tour guide) lol I helped my mom do that when I was smaller. After I have saved up enough money I was going to put together my own motocross team while I continue working at my regular job with racing some inbetween.
If I cant get a job being a tour guide then I'll have to do something I dread BECOME AN ENGLISH TEACHER. I still have two years to put my plans together so I am wont have to make any perment decisions just yet (except for the house). I will have at least two jobs because I will have to repay my parents for the money they lent to me . Oh and thanks for the welcome every other forum site I have been to seems to welcome everyone else but not me.
Btw my little brother has searched google but they dont give good job discriptions.......

Last edited:
A house could cost you anywhere from $100,000 to $165,000 (US) depending upon what type of building materials you decide to use. I am planning to build a 4LDK within 2-3 years that will cost me about $175,000. Mind you that is only the cost of the house. Land will cost you about the same amount. There are two ways of obtaining land. First, you could lease the land...most people sign a 20-30 year lease. This will cost you about $150-$200/month, but at the end of the lease you still do not own the land. You will have the option to renew the lease however. The other choice is to outright purchase the land, but depending upon the size of the lot, it could cost you between $80-150,000 just for the land.

Good luck!

CC1 said:
A house could cost you anywhere from $100,000 to $165,000 (US) depending upon what type of building materials you decide to use. I am planning to build a 4LDK within 2-3 years that will cost me about $175,000. Mind you that is only the cost of the house. Land will cost you about the same amount. There are two ways of obtaining land. First, you could lease the land...most people sign a 20-30 year lease. This will cost you about $150-$200/month, but at the end of the lease you still do not own the land. You will have the option to renew the lease however. The other choice is to outright purchase the land, but depending upon the size of the lot, it could cost you between $80-150,000 just for the land.

Good luck!
I was thought it was about that much for the house, I may have to to lease the land then buy it once I save up enough money. Which will take a long time but I'll find a way........this may be slightly harder then I thought it would be, which was/is/will be pretty damn hard in the first place. Good luck to you too

CC1 are you sure its that cheap to build a home over there........I was looking through some classifieds and well this is what I found "Click Me" if they only cost a couple hundred thousand to make then why do they sell for so much more???? Or is that just the cost of living in Tokyo???

that cheap.. hahaha.. even my country is more exspenisve... and this is LE PAY BAY.. other words the low lands.. ... why is it so cheap then Cc1?

Remember one thing...the question was building a house in Japan...not Tokyo! I gave you prices for the two areas that I am familiar with. One being Okinawa, and one being Kanagawa. The other thing to remember is what type of material is used. There are many many concrete houses here in Okinawa. Then there are also fabricated homes. (pre-cut) The price can definitely go up higher...it is all up to you and what you really want!

CC1 said:
Remember one thing...the question was building a house in Japan...not Tokyo! I gave you prices for the two areas that I am familiar with. One being Okinawa, and one being Kanagawa. The other thing to remember is what type of material is used. There are many many concrete houses here in Okinawa. Then there are also fabricated homes. (pre-cut) The price can definitely go up higher...it is all up to you and what you really want!
Lol, thats what I thought , I dont want to live Tokyo I was just surfing the net and came acoss those, thanks for the help
😌 😌 😌

haha i told built a house in center Tokyo was that price gna gna

no joke.. well that price is still cheap i think... i would love to life in Okinawa :D:D:D

dutch baka said:
haha i told built a house in center Tokyo was that price gna gna

no joke.. well that price is still cheap i think... i would love to life in Okinawa :D:D:D
I think I'll do a little research on Okinawa.....

I personally think you'll be much better off renting for at least the first 6 years. You have no idea where you'll be working, and gaijin get canned from seemingly permanent positions without little consideration to their personal circumstances: wife, family, mortgage. etc.

To just balance things out more objectively, you're going to need to be on AT LEAST a three-year renewable work visa before the banks will even touch you AFA a loan is concerned. Preferably you'll have permanent residency, if single, or be on your second three-year spouse visa if married to a Japanese national. In my own case I secured a joint loan for 3500 man yen together with my wife whilst on my second three-year spouse visa. But don't take that as a standard. I've been self-employed for 8 years and have a very, very solid financial paper trail in Japan (in other words I used an accountant!). From what friends have told me, the loan rules have been tightened up somewhat and permanent residency status is becoming a standard requirement for house loans.

BTW I don't live anywhere near a large city. My house loan is a little higher than average - but I have things like a classroom included, as well as a central air-conditioning system. Plus I didn't have to pay for the land (1500 man estimate) so we spent more on the house.

I rented, together with my wife, for six years and saved up plenty. Paying 1000 man upfront is pretty normal when building a house. And YES the prices sound outrageous by North American standards, but I'm British – and 250,000 quid for a four-bedroom, detached house, with 6-car parking, central-air-conditioning (not that we have that in the UK), etc. would be on the cheap side. When you factor in an interest rate of about 1.8% here in Japan then it sounds very cheap.

one note on the loan. You don't have to go through a bank always, sometimes the housing company that is building the home will front the loan. That is what is happening in my case. The interest is a bit higher, but the paperwork trail is much less harrowing!

mr.sumo.snr said:
I personally think you'll be much better off renting for at least the first 6 years. You have no idea where you'll be working, and gaijin get canned from seemingly permanent positions without little consideration to their personal circumstances: wife, family, mortgage. etc.

To just balance things out more objectively, you're going to need to be on AT LEAST a three-year renewable work visa before the banks will even touch you AFA a loan is concerned. Preferably you'll have permanent residency, if single, or be on your second three-year spouse visa if married to a Japanese national. In my own case I secured a joint loan for 3500 man yen together with my wife whilst on my second three-year spouse visa. But don't take that as a standard. I've been self-employed for 8 years and have a very, very solid financial paper trail in Japan (in other words I used an accountant!). From what friends have told me, the loan rules have been tightened up somewhat and permanent residency status is becoming a standard requirement for house loans.

BTW I don't live anywhere near a large city. My house loan is a little higher than average - but I have things like a classroom included, as well as a central air-conditioning system. Plus I didn't have to pay for the land (1500 man estimate) so we spent more on the house.

I rented, together with my wife, for six years and saved up plenty. Paying 1000 man upfront is pretty normal when building a house. And YES the prices sound outrageous by North American standards, but I'm British – and 250,000 quid for a four-bedroom, detached house, with 6-car parking, central-air-conditioning (not that we have that in the UK), etc. would be on the cheap side. When you factor in an interest rate of about 1.8% here in Japan then it sounds very cheap.
Well you see my father is a loan officer he said that he could loan me the money......the only thing about that is he is not to sure about loans for people moving overseas -_-;. I completly forgot about asking for the loan info (thanks for that I knew I forgot somthing), so I may have to rent for a while. I'm not to sure about J-women yet they seem a little bit odd to me I heard most of them want to know your blood type, that scared the **** out of me what do they want that for. I was thinking about living there for a few years before getting married; 2 to 5 years.
Hiroyuki Nagashima:
Thanks for the links I love the MX one, I dont want to live in Tokyo Thats WAY to many people for me.
CC1 said:
one note on the loan. You don't have to go through a bank always, sometimes the housing company that is building the home will front the loan. That is what is happening in my case. The interest is a bit higher, but the paperwork trail is much less harrowing!
I'll just wait a few years to buy the house, but I'll take the loan from the bank I'm not to sure if I want to take a loan from the building company if the intrest is higher I dont mind filling out a few pages.
👍

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom