What's new

Japanese food vs... the World !

What I like about Japanese food is that I don't feel so guilty after eating it(unless it's something like katsudon, okonomiyaki, or after slaving over hot oil with tempura). With most "Western" food, I usually feel so guilty after eating it. Like I need to immediately go out and jog 10 miles.

Also in the West, it's customary to have a dessert after a meal like ice cream, cake, pie, etc. They don't do that too often in Japan. They mostly have fruit.

you forgot

Well, after the meal and befor the dessert...

The cheese

One great tradition one should not forget. Not in use in Japan but somehow I dont see it In the country of the Rising Sun...

ascate said:
Well, after the meal and befor the dessert...

The cheese

One great tradition one should not forget. Not in use in Japan but somehow I dont see it In the country of the Rising Sun...

That was what I loved about France. Having all of that delicious cheese to choose from before dessert. I love cheese.

cheeeeeeese, and then you smile kirei_na_ME

That was what I loved about France. Having all of that delicious cheese to choose from before dessert. I love cheese.

Yes ! I agree, it's one of the pleasant thing about eating. Fresh farm bread (I mean REALLY from the farm) baked in a wood consuming oven (is it the way to say it?). The cow that make the cheese can even see the bread...

Did you know that there are more than 500 different named cheeses in France ? (even more perhaps) But they are not the only one making cheese, Holland is also known for that, in particular for the red crusted one. And Italy ? Well of course, Gorgonzola and Parmeggiano regianno are amongst the most well known, but there are so many others. And of course Switzerland with more than 150 diffent kinds such as Gruyティre and Emmenthaler...

And with that ? some beautifull wines that makes your head slightly spin (just before the final crash into the "mousse au chocolat"...)
Bon appテゥtit, again...

Gruyere and Emmenthaler are really two of my favorites. I also love Brie. I have all of these right now, at home, along with a few others. The regular American cheese is nothing compared to those real Swiss and French cheeses.

ascate said:
And with that ? some beautifull wines that makes your head slightly spin (just before the final crash into the "mousse au chocolat"...)
Bon appテゥtit, again...

My head spins just thinking about it! Mousse au chocolat...oh my. When I was in France the couple of times I went, I think I had chocolate mousse with every meal. I couldn't help it. REAL French chocolate mousse is...well...it can't be explained with words. 😍

Please...please let me be on a flight to Paris right now... :(

> I miss going to the local Coney Island

m477,
I doubt most people here would understand this reference. I've found most "outsiders" don't recognize the term. Does anywhere else in the U.S. refer to chili-covered hot dogs as "coneys" and the restaurants that serve them as "coney islands"?

Golgo had the idea though since he related it back to the real birthplace of the venerable coney dog.

kirei_na_me said:
Yes, cheese is really great! There's so much tasty cheese: French cheese, German cheese, Italian cheese, Greek cheese... 👍
Incidentally, I'm eating a bread roll with camembert right now 😄

Paris....

kirei_na_me said:
Gruyere and Emmenthaler are really two of my favorites. I also love Brie. I have all of these right now, at home, along with a few others. The regular American cheese is nothing compared to those real Swiss and French cheeses.
(
Gruyティre has no holes, Emmenthaler is the one you see in cartoons, usually with mice that will hide in huge holes. It's due to specifique preparation and the fermentation of milk's yeat

My head spins just thinking about it! Mousse au chocolat...oh my. When I was in France the couple of times I went, I think I had chocolate mousse with every meal. I couldn't help it. REAL French chocolate mousse is...well...it can't be explained with words. 😍
You know what you should eat with mousse au chocolat ? Some sweet crystallized zest of orange peel, cooked in orange juice. If you use the red juiced kind of orange (they call it sanguines here in europe) it's even better. MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Please...please let me be on a flight to Paris right now... : Wel ? don't you know where is the airport ???

Personally I like Sushi and sometime i go in sushi bar here in Rome
but only in the day...as in the evening the prices are crazy...not less than 50 usd a person.....during the day is possible to have a good jp lunch with 20 usd....
I reconize that jp food is one of the most healthy food in the world as also koreans with kimchi that is good for blood preassure and many others health problems.
but as I am italian ou food is on the top as also healthy like the mediterraneand diet....some plates are very goood but not so healthy....
What is poor in Japan is the culture of the fruit we have as probably there is very expensive and also meat steaks is too expensiv in Japan.
We have "fiorentina" is a steack of 2 kgs...for 2 persons and it cost around 10 15 usd....i suppose in Tokyo (Ginza restaurant) would cost a fortune......
I think that us way to eat is too reach of fats and I never saw in my life so many fats like in U.s. (I saw many and many in Orlando Disneyworld) some f them cannot even walk easely....
hello to everybody
Ippolito

hello to you too

Yes you are right on seferal coounts.
one : japan food habits as far as fresh fruits are concerned is a little behind Europe and also it's expensive.

two, keep on eating korean, as you know since you are lucky enough to be married to one of "my sisters", it's as good as japanese.

three, yes italian food is an excellent one and of course the mediterrannean cooking (based on oilive oil) is far less damaging thatn most of the other oils.

but you should not forget rapeseed oil which turns out today as been even better for light heat cooking (not deep-fried) and all salads as the best you can find as it contains a lot more "omega 3" than any other oils.

Enjoy your salads, you lucky Ippolito who is married to a korean doll !!! 😌

two, keep on eating korean, as you know since you are lucky enough to be married to one of "my sisters", it's as good as japanese.

I do not understand why you use the word " my systers"
i could understand if you are korean or half and half......or if jp consider koreans women like sister.....it is interesting could you expalin ?
We talk about spaninsh or french like cousins not brothers....
we do not appreciate what french are doing.......and i do not condテャsider them cousins just french,,,,nothing else
have a nice day
Ippolito

ippolito

Hello again
well, yes my sister, because I am Korean and also japanese, and that is why...
but...

I do not understand what you say about the french :

we do not appreciate what french are doing.......and i do not condテャsider them cousins just french,,,,nothing else

What do you mean exactly ? what did they do to you ??

ascate said:
I'll agree on that, Korean food is very nice.

ascate said:
three, yes italian food is an excellent one and of course the mediterrannean cooking (based on oilive oil) is far less damaging thatn most of the other oils.
Indeed. I'm using olive oil exclusively, nothing else.

That's me as well. I use nothing but olive oil. Well, unless I'm deep frying. If I'm deep frying tonkatsu or tempura or something, I will use vegetable oil. Olive oil is better for you and has more flavor.

Speaking of Korean food, I'm thinking about making beef bulgogi sometime. I've never tried cooking Korean food before...

Ascate....

I have found a Japanese restaurant by accident...not far from home....just over the border in Holland :) :D ...I'm so happy now...I'll be going to try it in a few weeks 👍

to pretty-green-eyed-rachel

kirei_na_me said:
That's me as well. I use nothing but olive oil. Well, unless I'm deep frying. If I'm deep frying tonkatsu or tempura or something, I will use vegetable oil. Olive oil is better for you and has more flavor.

Speaking of Korean food, I'm thinking about making beef bulgogi sometime. I've never tried cooking Korean food before...

Dont forget, start using rapeseeds oil for your light cooking and for all your salads. Omegas 3 are the best for your and your heart and...

What are you waiting for... cooking a littl bit of korean food ??? You shouldn't have waited so long...

RockLee said:
I have found a Japanese restaurant by accident...not far from home....just over the border in Holland :) :D ...I'm so happy now...I'll be going to try it in a few weeks 👍

Well, first, it's not "by accident" that you should say, but By great luck, or by happy hazard, or by the grace of the heavenly gods..."

then why wait a few weeks ?? You should have allready have been there three times...
👍

Sorry but I do not like Kimchi......when it s in my frigo and in the morning
i take the milk as to prepare my morning cappuccino....i small the kimchi
and i do not like so much...the small.....you know..
I like the bulbogi.....and not the cold korean spaghetti....
Unfortunaly i like cakes and icecreams......they not so good in Korea and Japan......I tried in Austria Saker tort with cream on .....wow....
Have you tried?
About french we had problems in the past and in this days ..as many terrorist of the 70's escaped from here to France and cannot take back here.....it is a very stange situation .....I could understand places like Nicaragua or el Salvador were there are not many agreement but with another european country that has Shengen agreement.....the possibility to travel within european countries without passport and controls...for the european residents.....
the last in April they put on the road and now is free a terrorist that was a killer and already jugded in Italy for have killed 4 persons here one was a jewlery....killed as to take the jewels.....well now this guy is free to walk in Paris....he is known there as a bookwriter.....and at the end of this month
we will know if France will give to italian police or not...
Have a nice day
Ippolito

ascate said:
Hello again
well, yes my sister, because I am Korean and also japanese, and that is why...
but...

I do not understand what you say about the french :

What do you mean exactly ? what did they do to you ??

to ippolito

good morning to you,
well yes I have tried rhe austrian Sacher torte, and you are right it's really good.
for the french, I'm sorry, never heard of the story.

Seems strange to me, however, that the will let some terrorist walk free. As we know, they are pretty severe with that kind of things.They had terrorists (hundreds of them) long before any other countries in Europe (with corsicans & ETA) and that since the end of the 19th century.

And there are no advantages for the french to accept and / or do that kind of thing, since they will end up sheltering all terrorists of the world.

There must be something we dont know. And I hope, toot, that you will not declare war to your french brother on that kind of argument...

we consider cousins but we are nearer to spanish than french
of course in generally....also spanish are not so warm with french
Anyway here we have extraditions rules but normally italian judges authorize it
when we have here a killer....but french accepted all....killers and not....
so now this guy it is free to walk in Paris and he has 4 killed on his head
If we would be in western films we could say wanted....
There are tin France itqalian terrorist that had no death on their political war history,
just other activity but some others have killed policeman or undenfenced
Ippolito
people.
he has already be judged here and he escaped in France without defence here...
Ippolito

asking a question Ippolito

Whether what you say is true, (which I doubt, there must be something we dont know) you have no right to be angry so much with the french.

In the first place, the only question I'll ask is : What are they doing in France ? And why ?

On that you will reply : those terrorists escaped italian jails...

And to that I will reply (laughing) : Then maybe you should have looked after them a little better, no ??

You cannot blame the french about the incompetence and lack of professionalism of italian gouvernment and prison wardens and bad jails from where it is possible to escape in so great numbers and so easilly.

The rest is a matter of politics. Ah, one thing you need to be corrected :

Your are less cousin with the Spanish and much more brother with the French than you think. And that I know for sure.

Abbia un giorno molto buono caro Ippolito, e tenti di non essere adirato coi Suoi fratelli di european, ognuno italians di amore ( I hope it's right, my italian is a little bit rusty, lately...)

Back
Top Bottom