• Other Japanese beer

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Not really a Japanese beer lover

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I don't like beer !

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters
How is that so,beer is beer ... no ? ☝

Well, I'm not an expert on the chemistry of food and packaging, but I think that cans are only the second-best choice for preserving the real flavor of foods. Glass is the best. Cans are the choice of distributors and consumers because they are more convenient to ship and carry.

If there isn't any difference, wines will be packed in cans, too!!👍

I admit we also buy beer in cans now because bottles are so heavy and bulky.
Side note: We used to get bottled beers delivered from our neighborhood liquor shop, until the owner stopped doing that after being hospitalized for severe back pains! 😌

Well, I'm not an expert on the chemistry of food and packaging,but I think that cans are only the second-best choice for preserving the real flavor of foods.Glass is the best.

If there isn't any difference, wines will be packed in cans, too!!👍

epigene-san :)

I was just picking your brain 👍 😊 :D

epigene said:
Oh yes, and get the bottled ones--they taste much better than when canned!! 👍
ricecake said:
How is that so,beer is beer ... no ? ☝
epigene is quite right as there is definitely a distinctive taste.

It is said that drinks packaged in aluminum cans have an aluminum taste to them. The same goes for drinks in metal cans. The taste of the metal is said to seep into the drink itself. Drinks in cans are said to be not healthy because the metal, especially the aluminum, gets into the body, cannot be processed or eliminated and builds up especially in the brain.

It is speculated in some scientific circles that the aluminum from drink cans as well as from cooking utensils, antacids, deodorant sticks like Ban, etc could be a major cause of Alzheimer's disease due to the high concentrations of aluminum found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.

Aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex gly id the major ingredient in some deodorant sticks.

You can google the effects of aluminum on the human body to find out more. I think it will surprise, and maybe scare you. It's amazing what harmful stuff they put into food and drinks these days.

epigene is quite right as there is definitely a distinctive taste.

It is said that drinks packaged in aluminum cans have an aluminum taste to them. The same goes for drinks in metal cans. The taste of the metal is said to seep into the drink itself. Drinks in cans are said to be not healthy because the metal, especially the aluminum, gets into the body, cannot be processed or eliminated and builds up especially in the brain.

It is speculated in some scientific circles that the aluminum from drink cans as well as from cooking utensils, antacids, deodorant sticks like Ban, etc could be a major cause of Alzheimer's disease due to the high concentrations of aluminum found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.

Aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex gly id the major ingredient in some deodorant sticks.

You can google the effects of aluminum on the human body to find out more. I think it will surprise, and maybe scare you. It's amazing what harmful stuff they put into food and drinks these days.

Gee, what a happy thought. I had a hunch that bio-engineered food, etc. had something to do with the rise in Alzheimer's Disease. I would never have thought that aluminum from cans or deodorants could be the culprit.

Yes, I threw out all of my aluminum cooking pans when I heard that! But later, I also heard that aluminum is not "the only" cause of Alzheimer's but a combination of factors that are still under study.

We're enjoying great convenience in modern living but are unwittingly sacrificing a lot in food, air and water safety. ☝

Sorry for going off-topic! 🙇‍♂️

Yes, I threw out all of my aluminum cooking pans when I heard that! But later, I also heard that aluminum is not "the only" cause of Alzheimer's but a combination of factors that are still under study.
We're enjoying great convenience in modern living but are unwittingly sacrificing a lot in food, air and water safety. ☝
Sorry for going off-topic! 🙇‍♂️

The only aluminum cookware I have is my camp cookware. Since I usually only camp twice a year, I don't worry about it. Otherwise, my home cookware is stainless steel.

I'm glad that I only buy beer in glass bottles or from a tap.

epigene said:

ArmandV said:
The only aluminum cookware I have is my camp cookware. Since I usually only camp twice a year, I don't worry about it. Otherwise, my home cookware is stainless steel.

I'm glad that I only buy beer in glass bottles or from a tap.
You are both quite correct, but to stay on topic, Asahi Super Dry is still the best beer in Japan and Ice House in the US! ;-)

Last edited:
Interesting topic, about the whole canned vs. bottled beer.. I have noticed though that Japanese people don't seem to mind canned beer, in the sense that canned beer can be bought as omiyage or other presents. If you buy cans of beer for someone here in Holland, that is seen as something cheap and not really appreciated. 😌 People strongly prefer bottled beer.

And I also saw some impressive packaging of happousyu as gifts. I was kind of puzzled because I thought (and still think) that it is just a cheaper and inferior imitation of beer..

Try Kirin if you can, ricecake-san.

Kyoko-san :haihai:

All right,we've finally tried Kirin beer today.It has tangy lager taste with a bit of sweetness,unlike Asahi regular brand has more bitter flavor I don't really like.Well,we are recreational beer drinkers can't handle higher content of alcohol level.

Kirin Ichiban is definitely a buy on our shopping list,will try Asashi Super Dry at later time.

Asahi Super Dry!

Do they still have the Beer machines on the streets? I had heard they were cutting back on them or even stopping them altogether. I used to go to those those all the time in the evenings on the way home from the train station! 😄

Beer machines are still available, but they stop vending between 10pm and midnight. Same with cigarette machines.

Lager vs Real Beer

Aagh! Those 'beers' in the poll are all lagers! Yellow alcoholic water... quite refreshing, and they get you in the mood, but not the real thing. (British) Ale is where it's at. Real ale, no bubbles, no head, the stuff that only lasts a few days in the barrel, or bottled ale. In Japan, there's a fantastic brew called Yona Yona. Brewed in Tokyo, it's the most authentic British style ale I've tasted outside Blighty (that's the nickname for the UK for you non-Brits.) Highly recommended. Followed by Hobgoblin (excellent small brewery in England, with 5 or 6 pubs there and 4 in Tokyo.)
As for Japanese beer, the dark beers are definitely my favourites, with Asahi Black being the most widely available.
Spaceghost writes:
"Fosters, Carling, Stella Artois (at least on tap), I tried Budweiser as well, I don't like any of them."
Well, the reason you don't like them is simple- they're all lagers! Try a real beer. In the words of the Hobgoblin advertising campaign: "What's the matter lagerboy, afraid you might taste something?"

The best beer has to be Kirin's original brew (all silver lable). This I thought not only tasted way better than the much acclaimed Ichiban, but it was also a lot cheaper! Real tramp juice :D

Hello all,

I just read page 1 and page 5 comments.
My favourite Japanese beer: Kirin
Canadian: Labatt's Blue
US : Anchor Steam
Belgian: Stella Artois, first had it on holiday 20 odd years ago. A lot of these lagers do best in hot climates.They are really good for quenching a thirst.

Asahi is available in Tescos in cans. Occasionally you can get Kirin in 330 bottles.

Back
Top Bottom