What's new

is Japanese rice better ?

S

oSounds like the US has a military consisting of expensive mercenaries instead of loyal troops?

Never let it be said you don't have original ideas. Anyway, in your original comment there seemed to be something judgmental about the state of Japan due to the acceptance of the high tariffs. It sounded as if you think Japanese society was a bit degenerate for paying the high prices associated with rice, and that America would never fall into such a state of degeneracy? Was I reading too much into your original comment?
Notwithstanding the all-volunteer army of the US, do you think the US military budget implies a similar sort of degeneracy inherent in US society, or am I missing the gist of your comment.
(Necroposting refers to dredging up years-old posts and commenting on them without regard for their vintage.)

If the Japanese people dont like or want to buy imported rice...why do still need tariffs or bans? That doesn
Japonica rice (i.e. the strain preferred in Japan) can be grown in a number of places, including California, and it is the importation of this rice that causes nervousness amongst the conservatives in the LDP and their equally conservative agrarian base. I think Japanese people would definitely consume California or Australian-grown Japonica rice. There might be other commercial considerations that I don't know about (using rice for sake, livestock feed, etc...) where the importation of cheap rice would have some unintended market consequences.

But from your posts I kind of get the feeling none of this is of any interest to you.

Last edited:
And the other half of the taste is the water. Both kids have taken "koshihikari" from here on the sea of japan side to kansai/kantou, and they've said that it doesn't taste right at all.

Never let it be said you don't have original ideas. Aur original comment there seemed to be something judgmental about the state of Japan due to the acceptance of the high tariffs. It sounded as if you think Japanese society was a bit degenerate for paying the high prices associated with rice, and that America would never fall into such a state of degeneracy? Was I reading too much into your original comment?
Notwithstanding the all-volunteer army of the US, do you think the US military budget implies a similar sort of degeneracy inherent in US society, or am I missing the gist of your comment.
(Necroposting refers to dredging up years-old posts and commenting on them without regard for their vintage.)

Japonica rice (i.e. the strain preferred in Japan) can be grown in a number of places, including California, and it is the importation of this rice that causes nervousness amongst the conservatives in the LDP and their equally conservative agrarian base. I think Japanese people would definitely consume California or Australian-grown Japonica rice. There might be other commercial considerations that I don't know about (using rice for sake, livestock feed, etc...) where the importation of cheap rice would have some unintended market consequences.

But from your posts I kind of get the feeling none of this is of any interest to you.
Actually i almost suspect the whole idea of the taste of domestic rice is bull. I think it is really a religous patroitism thing...(Japan first thing?) But what i dont get, is why conceal it with the" taste" justification/reason though? Btw...thanks for explaining the necrothing to me hon.

Are questions ok here?

Of course.

But you replied to a post, quoting my post, and added nothing. Then you asked your question in a separate post. There are two or three other posts from you which makes it look like you're having trouble with the mechanics of posting replies.

Of course.

But you replied to a post, quoting my post, and added nothing. Then you asked your question in a separate post. There are two or three other posts from you which makes it look like you're having trouble with the mechanics of posting replies.
I would not disagree withj that. Its this stupid cell phone im on i think. I need an upgrade it seems.

She was probably referring to this in 1993.

People HATED the Thai rice. I had never eaten rice but once in my life before coming to Japan (airline meal) and until I tried Thai rice had been of the opinion that rice was to food as water was to drink....something totally without any flavor of its own. I never appreciated how good Japanese rice tastes until I tried that awful Thai rice.

Once supplies of domestic rice stabilized again there were rice dealers in Japan who found themselves stuck with a now unwanted stock of leftover Thai rice, which they quite literally couldn't give away. The rice shop in my neighborhood was offering bags of Thai rice free as a "present" to people buying Japanese rice....and the customers refused it and left it in the store.
I guess my wife is the minority then. I confirmed it with her, and she said it was the Thai rice she liked, and the rest of her family hated it. I personally don't mind it. I'm no connoisseur of course, but it seems to suit my liking better whenever I am eating Thai or Vietnamese food.

I guess my wife is the minority then. I confirmed it with her, and she said it was the Thai rice she liked, and the rest of her family hated it. I personally don't mind it. I'm no connoisseur of course, but it seems to suit my liking better whenever I am eating Thai or Vietnamese food.

She was probably a small child whose tastes hadn't been calcified by decades of habit.

I remember there being a great deal of media explaining that the Thai rice should be prepared differently in order to be presented at its best. Normally I would suspect Japanese pride being behind the negative reception of foreign rice, but I had no dog in that fight, thought rice had no discernible flavor to begin with, and I still thought the Thai stuff (prepared exactly as Japanese rice was prepared) tasted like crap. I have no doubt that it is excellent when prepared in a way that suits it, though.

Back
Top Bottom