• Other Japanese beer

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Not really a Japanese beer lover

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I don't like beer !

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters
TwistedMac said:
I live in skテ・ne, I've had my fair share of beer runs to denmark (heck I lived there for 7 years, but I moved back to Sweden when I was 11 ;) so to answer your question, yes, i've tried tuborg.. ^^ it's not bad, but it's not as good as carlsberg.

We've got this new Carlsberg bottle here now though.. 50cl and sold in swedish supermarkets (you might know they're not allowed to handle very strong beer in sweden, only the Systembolag is allowed to sell alcoholic beverages over 2.8%) and that new one literally smells like urinal cakes soaked in urine, and it doesnt taste much better.. horrid stuff.. they mustve pissed in the bottles and sent them to Sweden going "those stupid swedes will drink anything.. just watch this.."

Haha..I never heard of this "new" Carlsberg export to Sweden...I'd better ask my aquiantances who work for Carlsberg here in Copenhagen... I am sure they are not responsible for the personal donation of urine....:)

Yes, I have heard of the Systembolag in Sweden....scarry stuff...I can't imagine NOT buying alcohol in supermarkets.

I live in the centre of Copenhagen and at least twice a year I get approached by Swedish tourists asking me if I know a place to buy beer and liquor after 8 pm, as we have "lukkelov" here in Denmark forbidding supermarkets to sell beer, wine and liqour after 8pm to have a "fair" competition with bars, pubs, discos etc...who are the only ones allowed to sell alcoholic beverages after 8pm, however, there are many small shops and kiosks selling alcoholic beverages after 8pm anyway, and Swedes know that, and that is why they approach me....

I haven't actually tried japanese beer yet, I'm not really a fan of beer in general though--so I think I'll just stick to sake and plum wine...

Me neither, I've seen jpn beer at the "Systembolaget" though ^^

Personally I'm a big fan of beer, and if you ask me the best beer comes from the Czech republic and of those the one I favor most is Staropramen, even though there are others that are almost eaqually excellent (Starbremen, Zlatopramen, テ徨quell all most recomendable) they still don't have that extra something that Staropramen has. Now ofcourse there are many other great beermaking countries but if you ask me Czech is the way to go 👍

To all you beerlovers out there

SajberJohan said:
Me neither, I've seen jpn beer at the "Systembolaget" though ^^

Personally I'm a big fan of beer, and if you ask me the best beer comes from the Czech republic and of those the one I favor most is Staropramen, even though there are others that are almost eaqually excellent (Starbremen, Zlatopramen, テ徨quell all most recomendable) they still don't have that extra something that Staropramen has. Now ofcourse there are many other great beermaking countries but if you ask me Czech is the way to go 👍

To all you beerlovers out there

"Budwar" is a czech beer right? A version of the American Budweiser.... 😊 I tasted Budwar the first time when I was in Germany two years ago....COOL!

kirin + sushi = yum!

there is some good american beer out there too, btw, far beyond the likes of coors, bud, and pabst blue ribbon (shudder)... like sierra nevada - especially that celebration brew they had for a while :)

oh and twistedmac -

TwistedMac said:
"andra sidan e ni klara?!"

jajamensan fattas bara :D

Asahi Super Dry here, though I do drink Sapporo from time to time. In fact those are the only two available here. Does anyone know where I might find others like Kirin or other in the Toronto Canada area? :?

In my opinion, good microbreweries produce the best beer, not only here in Japan, but throughout the world. There is a new brewery near where I live in Shizuoka-ken called Bayern Meister Beer:
http://www.at-s.com/bin/guru/guru0040.asp?yid=A144876518
It's really tasty! Of course all the ingredients are imported from Germany and the guy who brews it is German, so it's really not Japanese beer, but the spring water used is quite local and delicious too!

I prefer Guiness, but I also drink Sapporo and Asahi. But I agree with Craig, microbrewed beer tends to beat the larger stuff hands down. But then, I could be wrong.........Nah! :)

Orion!

The Japanese beers I have tried have all been excellent, even if they are mostly Pilsner types of beer. My favorite was Orion beer, a brand that I have only ever found on Okinawa. It came in large brown bottles that were soooooo smooth when ice cold. In the 1960's they were dirt cheap but in the late '70's & '80's they were more expensive, but well worth it.

Many Marines disparaged Orion beer. They were largely Bud drinkers. I guess the former was just too smooth for them. I always loved it.

As far as non-Japanese beers go, there is--of course--Guinness stout (I prefer it draught in charged cans) but there is another beer from the UK: called Boddington's Pub Ale, brewed in Manchester. It is like the vanilla version of Guinness, creamy, solid, and in the same kind of charged cans! And like the former, it is a meal in a glass.

But I miss Orion. I have never found it anywhere except Okinawa.

Corripe Cervisiam

BEER!

My favorite Japanese beer is Kirin Lager, but it hasn't been available here for several months.

My two non-Japanese faves are still Newcastle and Killian's Irish Red.

I sometimes wonder how I will get on in Japan if I actually live there, since I don't drink alcohol...

wintersweet said:
I sometimes wonder how I will get on in Japan if I actually live there, since I don't drink alcohol...

Hmm, it probably wouldn't differ much from life in the US, because not everybody in Japan drinks alcohol. Also, they certainly won't make you drink against your will, so I don't think you'd have to worry about that. You can always substitute cola or calpis for alcohol, and still have a good time with the party crowd....

Asahi Super Dry for me thank you. And don't forget the edamame. Nothing beats 5% alcohol in any beer. Unless they've lowered it in the past year. Here in the US I only drink "Icehouse" beer due to it's 5.5% alcohol content! The taste is pretty good also.

Shooter452 said:
The Japanese beers I have tried have all been excellent, even if they are mostly Pilsner types of beer. My favorite was Orion beer, a brand that I have only ever found on Okinawa. It came in large brown bottles that were soooooo smooth when ice cold. In the 1960's they were dirt cheap but in the late '70's & '80's they were more expensive, but well worth it.

You are quite right there my man. Back in the 70's Orion was still a great beer even on the bases on the mainland. It was available at Camp Zama where I was stationed from '73-'77. It was a great tasting beer, but wasn't available outside base save for one or two places. Then it completely disappeared.

I know how to make Japanese beer...

1. Take beer, any beer, poor into small glass.

2. Serve chilled, charge about 15 quid for it.

Sorry. :D

As for brands, I think I've tried Sapporo, that's it, so I can't vote really.

I agree, beer is way too expensive in Japan. I guess that's why every company makes its own "fake beer" (happoshu?) here. I thought it was impossible for there to be anything worse than American beer, but when I came to Japan I was quickly corrected... For the most part I get an overpriced bottle of something imported, or I will go for Sapporo. I've caught myself with cheap fake beer on more than one occasion though. Certain meals just call for a beer... If it's Japanese alcohol you want, go for sake or shochu in my opinion.

Hi for everyone!I don't read all posts about japanese beer but i think - is really good :))...greetings :]

slightly off topic...but some of my favourtie asian but non-japanese beers are:
Tsingtao (chinese)
Tiger (Thailand...i think)

as for japanese...i've only had Asahi and i found it a little too dry for my taste buds

All (...well, most ...)beer is good, but if I'm to choose a Japanese beer, then it's down to Sapporo and Asahi.

I also like Chinese Tsing-Tao and on occasions I treat myself to a "Tiger" - which I always thought came from Singapore .... I don't have one handy to check.

But as we speak - I have a good 'ole Canadian Labatt Genuine Draft... !

eh. I've never drank any of those name brand beers, let alone I never taste sake, but I really want to, though I don't think I could get my hands on them. *shrugs*

does japanese beer taste different then american beer? and how so?

*giggles*

I notice no one mentions Suntory Malts (MARUTSU). I quite like the taste, though I fear it might be the equivalent of something like Schlitz Malt Liquor....

Great with fried gyouza, though. Nothing quite like walking up to a vending machine and buying a liter can of beer on a hot summer day. :)

Back
Top Bottom