What's new

Japan Photos 2022

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Time to start this year's photo thread. I hope that more of our valued members will share their snapshots in 2022. Don't be shy, any motive is fine (but our ToS apply). :)

After almost eight years on iPhone 6 and 7, my wife and I finally upgraded to the iPhone 13 Pro. Amazingly, they come with three cameras, a "wide" lens at 26mm focus, an "ultrawide" at 13mm, and a telelens at 77mm.

I haven't taken anything presentable yet but here's an experimental teleshot from yesterday's ride: I have never seen so many herons in one spot, I counted over 30.

tama-heren.jpg

Another great iPhone feature is the pano mode (allowing 180-degree shots). Here's another experimental photo:

sunset-pano.jpg

Anyhow, let the photo games begin!

📷📸 ☺️🤳

Mine is 11pro, and tho I've looked (even checked trade-in value), I'm not sure there's enough difference in photo capability to go for the 13. 13 has more tele (x3 vs x2), but I don't use that much anyway. Macro mode, but I think I've learned to do an adequate job with the 11 (tho I may not realize what I'm missing).

There's no question tho that it has almost completely replaced carrying any kind of 'regular' camera--it's just too good/easy. If there is still a 'live' mode, learn how to switch that off (annoying, IMO). Portrait mode is so-so, sometimes good, sometimes less so. I've considered picking up the Halide app, but have never followed through on that.

I'm afraid that my sets of Canon and Nikon SLRs will catch dust from now on...

If there is still a 'live' mode, learn how to switch that off (annoying, IMO).

Agreed, that was one of the first things we disabled. There are still a lot of features I have no clue about.

I'd participate more but I don't have much in the way of "Japan Photos" these days.
From 6/7 to 13 is a huge step up in photo capability. The low light capability will blow you away.
I keep Live on even though it's a pain in the sense that you get a bunch of extra data. I try to edit/turn off the Live for the photos I don't want later (which is over 90% of them). But it's especially good for people shots. Even if you take 3-5 photos of a group invariably somebody's eyes are closed or head-turned. 3-5 photos gives you probably 30-50 frames to choose from. (Quality does go down though if you pick another frame). You can also convert them to videos if you get a good shot. Like what if one of those herons just took off with a fish in its mouth at that moment?

I'm afraid that my sets of Canon and Nikon SLRs will catch dust from now on...

Agreed, that was one of the first things we disabled. There are still a lot of features I have no clue about.
I would agree if you were talking about point-and-shoot cameras but (D)SLRs? There just isn't any comparison for quality if you have a nice camera and lenses.

I would agree if you were talking about point-and-shoot cameras but (D)SLRs? There just isn't any comparison for quality if you have a nice camera and lenses.

True, however, the difference in weight is considerable. It's quite difficult to bring a DSLR, one or two lenses and a tripod on a bicycle. :)

Two truisms, and people argue on and on about what the 'real' meaning of these might be: (google-able)

"The best camera is the one that's with you."

"f/8 and be there."

I always judged my camera by the quality of night shots it took on the automatic setting. I loved the bright lights and colors at night in Japan and took great pics with a Yashika I had.

Maybe this would give a better perspective on the tree size (big). Obviously chainsawed off, there were three like this but this one had the cleanest, most even sawing. I don't know trees, but I wonder why its center is so... off center. It is next to a concrete road, where I'm standing--could that be the reason? This was a common sugi, if that makes a difference.

fresh stump2.jpeg

Maybe this would give a better perspective on the tree size (big). Obviously chainsawed off, there were three like this but this one had the cleanest, most even sawing. I don't know trees, but I wonder why its center is so... off center. It is next to a concrete road, where I'm standing--could that be the reason? This was a common sugi, if that makes a difference.

A quick glance on the net suggests that off-centre heartwood is either the result of the tree growing on a steep slope or exposure to strong winds coming from one direction.

Back
Top Bottom