What's new

Japan Photos 2022

Time to start this year's photo thread. I hope that more of our valued members will share their snapshots in 2022. Don't be shy, any motive is fine (but our ToS apply). :)

After almost eight years on iPhone 6 and 7, my wife and I finally upgraded to the iPhone 13 Pro. Amazingly, they come with three cameras, a "wide" lens at 26mm focus, an "ultrawide" at 13mm, and a telelens at 77mm.

I haven't taken anything presentable yet but here's an experimental teleshot from yesterday's ride: I have never seen so many herons in one spot, I counted over 30.

View attachment 84398

Another great iPhone feature is the pano mode (allowing 180-degree shots). Here's another experimental photo:

View attachment 84399

Anyhow, let the photo games begin!

📷📸 ☺️🤳
So beautiful, I want to travel around the world, especially to Japan.

Both pictures below were taken with the iPhone 13 (unedited, just resized).

Ume blooming in our neighbourhood:

ume.jpg

Not really happy with the iPhone's "tele" lens: Globemaster landing in Yokota this morning.

c-17.jpg

@thomas the nice thing about those wonderful blue skies is that it doesn't matter if they are in focus or not!

In other news, I've joined a photo club here--I've been to see members' pics at local shows, only ¥3000 so we'll see. The lectures may be good, but I'll pass on the photo queens. (edit: that's not clear--the shows were free, membership for a year, which includes the seminars and some other things, is 3000 yen.)

Last edited:
I wonder if it's okay to take a bike up and down the elevators in those buildings?

I used to do that at work so I could park in my office, but only at 'off' times.

My in-laws live in a comparable "condo" in Yokohama. In many of those places, as expensive as they are, you are not even allowed to walk your dog from the entrance to the elevator or from the elevator to your flat.

First, one for Ukraine, their national flower:

sunflower small.jpg

I was reading earlier that Ukrainians were keeping sunflower seeds in their pockets, so if they fell in battle, the seeds would use the body as fertilizer and grow. (And that they were giving seeds to russians, and then telling them that's why they had given them the seeds.)

Also, I went back and re-took this, trying to get the lines and angles square and centered, and some other things. Always some tweaks, but this is still fairly close to what you'd see.

re-taken1.jpeg

A few shots from earlier today:

A dusty-rusty beauty in a Yokohama garage (MG C-series B-series, as pointed out below):

MG-C-series.jpg

Nissan driving test centre near their Oppama plant in Yokosuka:

nissan-driving-test-centre.jpg

And the first sakura (at Kanazawahakkei Seto-jinja):

sakura-kanazawahakkei-seto-jinja2.jpg

sakura-kanazawahakkei-seto-jinja.jpg

I have a cherry tree on my front lawn that gets tons of berries that the birds love to eat in the winter. Unfortunately for my neighbor , the birds sit in his maple tree and crap cherry droppings all over his car. At times , it's more red than blue.

This is an MGB. Probably mid-1960s. Definitely prior to 1970. C-series are very easy to differentiate because the hood isn't smooth all across like this.

Thanks, @mdchachi! Though I'm an avid fan of the 'Car SOS' series (aired here in Japan), I'm not knowledgeable. This beauty yesterday, however, really stuck out.

In the 70's the military had a program where you could buy cars at a good price and ship them where you wanted. All the Navy guys including me drooled over the Datsun 240Z. Having one now in mint condition , they go for over $300,000US. Wish I had bought one then.240Z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom