What's new

Japan Photos 2021

My slides are now a major disaster. The photo lab at Hakata base would cut the film and mount it in sticky cardboard holders that folded over the film. My slides have been stored in round holders of 100 slides each in my cellar. I took one out a month ago and all the glue had dried up and the holders had opened up with the film dropping out. UGH!! So.... I went and bought a $1500 scanner that should be able to scan & PhotoShop them , I hope. The thought of trying to scan and PhotoShop 3 to 4 thousand slides just seems overwhelming. I talked to my wife the other day about finding a company to do the work for me , but I bet it would cost a fortune. So right now , I'm procrastinating on dealing with it. I bet the look on my face when all those pieces of film fell out on the floor was something to see.

A view of the Tamagawa this morning. Looks more like Vietnam than Kantō.

tamagawa-r16.jpg

We explored new bicycle routes yesterday; however, the heat was oppressive. Here's a panorama shot of Lake Shiroyama (城山湖, map) in Sagamihara, right at the border of Hachioji.

full

Great shots! Where do these mossy stairs lead?

looks like nobody's been that way for a while...

so, stairway to heaven...? ;)

Actually, those are stairs to a small, never-sold lot, a remnant from the bubble years (small, attempted development to sell some otherwise un-salable land). There are a couple houses along there, but also unsold and never-built-on lots. This one, these stairs, is at the end of the row, and is the most protected/shaded.

Haha. I think we were all imagining it was leading to some some isolated shrine or some such.

Okay, a temple. I don't often take "japan" pictures, but these do qualify. (the cranes above do, too, for those who know) This is maybe 2km from home, we can hear the gongs early early a.m. if the conditions are right. Tour buses are never here, and even with influx after the shinkansen came in, there just aren't any tourists. They are very open to morning visitors and also stays of a couple weeks if you're into meditation/buddhism. My first 学部長, a very local guy, was an early morning regular.

This just sets the scene, IDs the place--and is just far enough away that a tree branch hides the 'no photography' sign. It's fairly important to the 'soto' type, so I'm told.
#1.JPG

Then move on in:
#2.JPG

#3.JPG

Okay, a temple. I don't often take "japan" pictures, but these do qualify. (the cranes above do, too, for those who know) This is maybe 2km from home, we can hear the gongs early early a.m. if the conditions are right. Tour buses are never here, and even with influx after the shinkansen came in, there just aren't any tourists. They are very open to morning visitors and also stays of a couple weeks if you're into meditation/buddhism. My first 学部長, a very local guy, was an early morning regular. This just sets the scene, IDs the place--and is just far enough away that a tree branch hides the 'no photography' sign. It's fairly important to the 'soto' type, so I'm told.

Very beautiful, both the temple and your photos! 大乗寺 has been added to the bucket list.

A thunderstorm over Tokyo just two hours ago when the dog was walking me around.

clouds-over-tokyo.jpg

As with most everywhere, the rain has kept me (and the dog) indoors.

But as I was getting in the car earlier...

abstract, with feather.jpeg

Apart from the feather, not too different than what you might see on Pluto.

Back
Top Bottom