What's new

J pop music...

GLAY, The Pillows, Hitomi, Do as Infinity, Dreams Come True, Dream, Aikawa Nanase, Hitomi, Coming Century, Horie Yui (her non-seiyuu stuff is pretty good too)

Puffy, BoA, Nami Tamaki, Sowelu (she's kind of R&B), Hyori (R&B also), Shinhwa, Vivian or Kazuma... although they've only made one song I've heard of and that's Moment. It's one of the theme songs for Gundam Seed. I NEVER tire of hearing. It's just THAT good! 😄

In my opinion most Japanese songs suck, but not some rock or the artists which most people don't know about.Anyway difinitely J-Pops suck except for some.

What I'm listen to are "Air" which consists of just one guy who plays the guitar and sing.He learns from many kinds of music style and make his own music.If you don't know about him, I really suggest that you listen to him.

flashjeff said:
Well, how about some old school J-Pop like Pink Lady, Candies or Momoe Yamaguchi? :)

Do you know some singers doing just whatever they are told to do?
"Chemistry" is one of good examples for it.
I personaly think they are that kind of artists, I haven't really listened to them though I watched their some music videos on TV.
I don't want to offend anyone, but if you feel like that,I'm sorry.
: 😌
Anyway this is just my opinion and it can be wrong.

I happen to find Chemistry's "Your Name Never Gone" very euphonic. In this song, they sound kind of like Boyz II Men who didn't release any new CD for a long time. Well, I guess I can use Chemistry as a subsitute for it then.

I always like commercialized music anyway. If it is not commercialized, I usually don't like it.

-Yu- said:
Do you know some singers doing just whatever they are told to do?
Take a cue from flashjeff, Yu... Momoe Yamaguchi is a great story for someone a little jaded by the commercial music industry.

She started as a company idol basically, but she was operating at a turbulent time in the Japanese music industry (1970's) when "new music" was becoming popular and Yumi Matsutoya (Yuming) was leading a new generation of artists into a world where they could be more independently expressive... Momoe was able to capitalize on this and use her idol mega-popularity to spread her creative wings and perform in some more unusual styles later in her career before retiring at the TOP in 1980. Talk about beating the system...

👍

If you like a little older '70s style music, she's worth checking out...

To MHtrStevie

Well, I didn't know such a story about her, perhaps because of my age(17)
I'm sorry about my wrong opinion that I wrote before.It was a part of my ignorance. :sorry:
To promote better understanding,if you know any websites which have stories about the artists around that time, can you tell me?I don't really know about old Japanese music..
By the way, I know Yuming because my mum likes her music and she often listens to some songs of hers at home.I like her some songs too.

:)

Stevie was right about Momoe (born five days after me in January 1959), as for websites about J-Pop artists from the 70's, that I don't know about but I'm sure music by stars of that era can be readily found via the Internet!

Yu, there's no need for apologies... you definitely bring up some good points about the worldwide music industry, and there are plenty of artists out there who merely perform when and what they're ordered to by a corporate body. This is going on in many countries all over the globe, and has been going on for years and years... music has been, is and will continue to be big business.

I don't know much about websites with this kind of information... my sources tend to be in print (books, magazines, etc.), but it's always worth making some quick websearches to see what's out there.

I did a radio show once about Yuming and the "new music" movement, and it's probably worth it for you to check out that story... she and many other artists in her time did a lot to allow different styles of music to grow and flourish in Japan, and I think it's not out of line to say that most artists who don't sing in the "enka" or idol-pop styles owe her a little debt of gratitude for creating the atmosphere in which they can perform today... she succeeded with really no major record label backing while maintaining her creative integrity and ended up being one of the biggest selling J-Pop artists of all time, even to this day... an inspiration to any independent-minded artist looking to succeed...

👍

Nice talking with you... you're asking good questions that need to be asked...

Okay, I think I will check it out.That's what I should say, thanks for having this conversation and telling me some information.

Back
Top Bottom