What's new

Is it time for US Force to leave Japan?

is it the time for US Forces to leave Japan?

• Yes, They did a lot of very bad things

Votes: 39 18.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • they protect Japan

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • NO

Votes: 31 14.4%
  • I'don't care

Votes: 19 8.8%

• Total voters
Win-win for the US and Japan ?? Japan needs to consider the consequences of their actions on countries it doesn't have any alliance relationship with, such as South Korea. If Japan really makes moves in the direction of acquiring independent capabilities, look for a backlash that could very well spark an arms race in the region. China or South Korea are certainly not going to be receptive to the new capabilities. It is not a decision that should be taken lightly. Of course it depends on the wording of any agreement made, but Japan wants to look stronger and become a bigger player on the world stage, they will have to take a wider view of North Pacific security in the future.

I don't necessarily think Japan should not have preemptive strike capabilities. But you can't look at it only from a Japanese perspective, U.S.-Japan alliance perspective, and U.S.-Japan -North Korea alliance perspective.

Win-win for the US and Japan ?? Japan needs to consider the consequences of their actions on countries it doesn't have any alliance relationship with, such as South Korea. If Japan really makes moves in the direction of acquiring independent capabilities, look for a backlash that could very well spark an arms race in the region. China or South Korea are certainly not going to be receptive to the new capabilities. It is not a decision that should be taken lightly. Of course it depends on the wording of any agreement made, but Japan wants to look stronger and become a bigger player on the world stage, they will have to take a wider view of North Pacific security in the future.

I don't necessarily think Japan should not have preemptive strike capabilities. But you can't look at it only from a Japanese perspective, U.S.-Japan alliance perspective, and U.S.-Japan -North Korea alliance perspective.

Japan's foreign policy is always clear and simple, a policy not to have policies. 🙂

Japan now is under NKorean threat because of the American bases in Okinawa...
Japan was and still is very clear and respectful to everyone..
It will b better if Japan make a good releationship with China,NKorea,Russia before the US leave..
After that there will be no need for US in Japan !

US bases in Japan (including Okinawa) is admittedly an issue, but if you listen to North Korean news reports, the regime still holds a very deep grudge against Japan because of the period of occupation (1910-1945).

True that it may be several years and several elections before the "old ways" under the LDP are truly over. And the US benefited greatly from that system in which the Japanese people were consulted on the bilateral alliance as an afterthought, if that. But I do think what's changed with the Hatoyama government is that it is at least actually trying to articulate what Japanese foreign policy should look like recentered in the evolving East Asian order. Now it's up to the Americans to wake up to the reality of DPJ rule and focus security cooperation almost exclusively on the defense of Japan without asking them to "do more" and contribute ever more and more comittments to missions too far from the homeland. . :p

Ana although the DPJ government want (at least in their manifesto) major revisions, in the short-term I think any change will be made by the US rather than be forced upon it by Hatoyama.

QUOTE]Originally Posted by babar-san
i would have to say that even though i loath bush, the current situation with korea is enough to justify american forces in japan. i juts wish they would revise japans constitution so they could form a military and join the un security council:0
I am in total agreement with you babar-san[/QUOTE]

..this is one post reply back way 2004 in this thread,....after 5 years and both administrations were hailed by popular demand for "change",...the statement above stays unprecedented. It could be the future opening it's doorways to the common people. I just hope and wish that whatever the changes could become of , peace and humanity to all mankind be the foremost and ultimate goal for both countries,...for all countires,...for the whole world.

It will b better if Japan make a good releationship with China,NKorea,Russia before the US leave..
After that there will be no need for US in Japan !

1. North Koreans are dying everyday due to food shortage. So, let's wait and see the outcome of their interesting patient life. Sooner or later, Great China will annex Noth Korea as it has a source of natural resource.
2. South Koreans are good customers of Japan. So, let them enjoy anti-Japan sentiment, which is only benefit to them.
3. China is increasingly important to Japan as our market. China needs Japanese help on technologies. So mutually beneficial. As far as they are customers of Japan, let's treat them as great man.
4. Russia is not a threat at all. They are busy on Chenchen and West front.

Thanks Astroboy for explaining the case,it's good to hear that.
I am glad that Japan has a good realationship with these countries.

Japan is an independent country, just because any nation has forces in a country, does not mean you necessarily have conquered it or it ceases to be independent. Britain still has a few troops in Canada (which i never knew until recently), but Canada is still a self-governing independent nation. LOL no Queen is going to me what to do! :) But still, the USAF may still be in Japan, but Japan is a fully independent nation, it never surrendered its sovereignty. As for American troops.... well, if the US wants to deal with Kim Jung IL and the problems surrounding his regime in N.K. , then all they have to do is try their best to reason and to work a solution out. After all, the pen is mightier than the sword!

From what ive read so far it seems like a lot of the reasons come from historical, and personal point of veiws. Also ive heared a lot about marines cause a lot of trouble and a big mess over there in japan right now and it not helping the relatioship between US service members or civilians and the japanese people. A tip for those who are in favor of us pressence to be removed from japanese soil. Anything and Everything that any Sevice member does in a foreign country soils the image of the US military and every branch receives hefty blow fom these kinds of incidents and as such each member of the US military recieves the backlash of one or a small group of morons that think it was smart at the time. In this case it has revolved around marines mostly. Now im not saying that all marines are bad its just depends on the backgrounds of their personality and mindset. To a native japanese it may look like something along the lines of Americans think they can do what ever they want right. But the thing is most of these kinds of incidents revolves around guys who think that they can get any girl they want because thats how its always been how it was while they were growing up and these guys are usually jocks back in their high school days and show no respect for anything and do whatever they want just because they can. for instance the rape issue that in itself is a load of bs the guy knew exactly what he was doing but im pretty sure he used the impaired by alcohol excuse to get off lightly and sadly enough more often than not they get off with just a slight punishment for it. Now for those that are in favor of the US forces that are stationed there I suggest you take a close look at yourselves and take a look at the japanese people around you. The japanese people prides themselves on their ability to respect each other and their foreign guests in this case "US". Now although some us do listen to the briefing when you first arrive to japan and do act accordingly i appplaude you. Now for the few idiots that just throw that out the window I suggest one thing "QUIT ******* IT UP FOR THE REST US THAT ACTUALLY THINK BEING IN JAPAN WOULD BE A GOOD EXPERIENCE." thats all i really have to say about it.

From what ive read so far it seems like a lot of the reasons come from historical, and personal point of veiws. Also ive heared a lot about marines cause a lot of trouble and a big mess over there in japan right now and it not helping the relatioship between US service members or civilians and the japanese people. A tip for those who are in favor of us pressence to be removed from japanese soil. Anything and Everything that any Sevice member does in a foreign country soils the image of the US military and every branch receives hefty blow fom these kinds of incidents and as such each member of the US military recieves the backlash of one or a small group of morons that think it was smart at the time. In this case it has revolved around marines mostly. Now im not saying that all marines are bad its just depends on the backgrounds of their personality and mindset. To a native japanese it may look like something along the lines of Americans think they can do what ever they want right. But the thing is most of these kinds of incidents revolves around guys who think that they can get any girl they want because thats how its always been how it was while they were growing up and these guys are usually jocks back in their high school days and show no respect for anything and do whatever they want just because they can. for instance the rape issue that in itself is a load of bs the guy knew exactly what he was doing but im pretty sure he used the impaired by alcohol excuse to get off lightly and sadly enough more often than not they get off with just a slight punishment for it. Now for those that are in favor of the US forces that are stationed there I suggest you take a close look at yourselves and take a look at the japanese people around you. The japanese people prides themselves on their ability to respect each other and their foreign guests in this case "US". Now although some us do listen to the briefing when you first arrive to japan and do act accordingly i appplaude you. Now for the few idiots that just throw that out the window I suggest one thing "QUIT ******* IT UP FOR THE REST US THAT ACTUALLY THINK BEING IN JAPAN WOULD BE A GOOD EXPERIENCE." thats all i really have to say about it.

I agree completly with your sentiments above. However I would like to again highlight your statement that it is certainly a VAST minority of young military members who cause trouble. It has been proven many times on this board, percentage wise, the US military commits less crimes than the average Japanese citizen. That is a proven fact and has been proven over and over again on this forum. Just as there are those young naieve ignorant servicemen in the US military, there are also ignorant and politically motivated Japanese citizens and policy makers who just wait for a US service member to slip up so they can question the need of US military forces in japan. You will never be able to clear up the negative view of US military forces stationed abroad. If it were not for the occasional Rape, Murder or Assault they would be complaining we drive to fast, talk to loud or can not pronounce japanese words properly. There will always be something they will hang their anti-american hats on.

U.S. Forces in Japan

I am a U.S. citizen. I was in Japan for a business trip a while back. It was one for me of the most adventuress places I've ever been.
All the people I encountered were very pleasant. The rush and crowd in Tokyo reminded me of New York City.
I can understand that some of the people there want the U.S military out; I don't think all of them do.

We are not there to be disrespectful; we are there to help keep Japan safe.

Like stated above this post, not all the people in the armed forces are nice to the Japanese people. We as a whole are not there for anything but the value we believe the Japanese have to offer to the world.

I would like to live there at some time in my life.
I don't think that will happen, but it's something to wish for.

If the U.S had some of the laws Japan has, I don't think there would be as much crime here. There are so many rights activist groups here, you don't even know if it's o.k. to fart in public sometimes without some joker threatening to sue you because of the smell.

Things will change... I hope.

My wish is for the entire planet to become united as a people. Sure we all have our religious and political beliefs. It's time for them to be put into a personell perspective.

There won't be any decision on the Futenma problem until the general elections in July. If the DPJ gets a majority in the Upper House, PM can act with impunity. But for now Hatoyama needs a coalition government. Not finding a solution to US forces that satisfies all actors means a cabinet rebellion.

Stalling tactics only work if it is strategic and Japan is at an advantage over the US. If they backfire, it will indicate Ozawa (with all of his baggage) could have been more favorable than Hatoyama is now. I strongly feel that Ozawa would have kept the Cabinet inline and the Party marching to Manifesto's beat. 👍 The party's agenda, after all, isn't the problem. It's leadership.

they should leave... why? american troops belong in america and nowhere else so they should stay there... the only reason why they are still in japan is having bases near china and korea and not to protect anyone... to say that they protect anyone is generally stupid...

I voted "I don't care" but it's really "I don't know."

As an American who doesn't believe that the U.S.A. was ever intended to be the world's policeman by the Founding Fathers, I deplore the fact that there are so many bases around the world, in Japan or anywhere else. The empire crumbles, the lives of young Americans are disrupted and/or ruined (my brother, who was a soldier in Iraq, is a sufferer of PTSD), but no real peace has been created.

Yet, it's not as if such nations like North Korea or China don't have goals. In the past, Japan was a military powerhouse that could take care of itself against its neighbors. Now, due to the limitations imposed on it after WW2, Japan isn't in such a militarily strong position.

This is a tougher question to answer than it seems.

they should leave... why? american troops belong in america and nowhere else so they should stay there... the only reason why they are still in japan is having bases near china and korea and not to protect anyone... to say that they protect anyone is generally stupid...

There's more to the answer of this question than personal opinions. Global geopolitics is also a factor in the overall scheme of things. If the U.S.A. pulled its troops out of Japan it's destabilize the region militarily and make nations like China and North Korea more adventuresome.

Last edited:
you guys still dont realize..

U.S. Forces in Japan is not against China or north korea
It is a deterrent to Japanese Government and Japan..

Japan does not need it basicaly.
It is blackmail against the Japanese simply accustomed to peace
Just The United States fears to leave Japan.

you guys still dont realize..
U.S. Forces in Japan is not against China or north korea
It is a deterrent to Japanese Government and Japan..
Code:
Japan does not need it basicaly.
Just The United States fears to leave Japan.
How can Japan possibily be a military threat to the U.S.A. ever again?

I suppose it is about time the us leaves japan, japan can handle itself. I think it would be better if the US military could stay and not interfere with japanese affairs to much, because then both countries could benefit.

If the Japanese people want them to leave then they must leave !
Democracy,right ?

How can Japan possibily be a military threat to the U.S.A. ever again?

I am not tlaking about military threat to the U.S.A
it means U.S lose her big presence in Japan and Asia
it is a typical Yakuza's old trick for the protection racket

basicely Japanese citizen shoulld defend Japan.
If the United States goes out, the Japanese should inevitably defend the home country.

If the United States goes out, the Japanese should inevitably defend the home country.

Agreed, but this would mean that the laws have to be rewritten to allow Japan to have a military larger than the self-defense forces, correct?

Agreed, but this would mean that the laws have to be rewritten to allow Japan to have a military larger than the self-defense forces, correct?

There are many opinions about US military in Japan.

1. People, living near to the base, are generally "We don't like", but there are also many hidden voice due to economic reasons, even in Okinawa.

2. People, living far away from the base, are generally not interested in the issue.

3. People, considering national security things, mostly think "it's necessary".

4. Some politicians, living in Objection for Objection, tend to use something military to attain their political aims.

5. Media is naturally Objetion for Objection, and thus tend to focus on negative sides.

So it is diverse here in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom