What's new

Is it time for US Force to leave Japan?

is it the time for US Forces to leave Japan?

• Yes, They did a lot of very bad things

Votes: 39 18.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • they protect Japan

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • NO

Votes: 31 14.4%
  • I'don't care

Votes: 19 8.8%

• Total voters
Ok, so we have a hand-holding, rainbow-happytime, out of touch hippy wannabe here. Good luck. At best you are irrelevant, at worst you are food.
Of course I am, as long as it makes you feel good keep labeling and passing judgments, good luck to you, yuck.

Originally Posted by kusojiji
Ok, so we have a hand-holding, rainbow-happytime, out of touch hippy wannabe here. Good luck. At best you are irrelevant, at worst you are food.
Of course I am, as long as it makes you feel good keep labeling and passing judgments, good luck to you, yuck.

i'd take that as a compliment, especially the irrelevant part

Labels and judgments like this? "misguided barely adults" or "to become a soldier is pretty much the dumpiest thing you can do with your life," you f-ing hypocrit?

Do you know what labeling or passing judgments means ?

Those were opinions, as in my opinion many youngsters are misguided into enrolling as soldiers, read carefully it is not a judgment or a label.
And yes in my opinion to became a soldier is one of the dumpiest thing a person can do with his/her life, again read carefully (if you can), saying that someone does something dump is not judging or labeling them as a dump person.
I do dump thing some time, like now wasting time with your nonsenses, but i am not dump, do you see the difference ?

On the other hand labeling is: you are "put label here", like you did when you label me a "conspiracy nut" and then a "hippy" and so on.

Last edited:
Rethinking US presence in Japan

Barring any of my earlier opinions, when different politics ruled the world, I now think that America's presence in Japan or that portion of Asia is even more relevant than before.

PS... maybe we should also renegotiate the Philipines (we left there several years ago), and even Viet Nam, welcomed back as guests?

Ultimately, the people of Japan should decide, but with the saber rattling of North Korea, I am leaning towards staying, if asked to stay!

My opinion as an American is the real, complete irrelevancy here, the people of Japan should decide.

I did two tours in mainland Japan and two in Okinawa. No way should we leave. I also think the US should determine the yen rate for our soldiers there. When I left the first time it was 360 to the dollar and when I left the last time it was 260. I am tired of countries trying to lay down the law to us and they should remember who is number one. I am married to a woman from Okinawa and she does not like the yen rate either. I have my own feelings about soldiers and Japanese woman but the Japanese will not like them so I will leave them to myself. Pretty soon when the Japanes economy is in the toilet the Japanese will be begging for GI money and the relationship with our soldiers will be back to what it should be.

Totally disagree

Jim... In my humble opinion, your comments are truly damaging and disrespectful, the worst of it sounds like you are serious and borderline racist.

Even worse, you are re-inforcing the negativity towards Americans.

Terrrorist plants would use your dis-information words to be divisive and foment attacks against American GIs.

Let me ask a sincere, serious question, in all due respect, "Are you a terrorist in disguise"? Are you trying to create problems?

Instead of being banned, I would post your response first, to show the worst of the worst.

You are horrifying.

Japan is the world's second biggest economic power. I don't understand how the Japanese economy could be "in toilet" like you just said.

Are Japanese able to defend themselves in case of North Korean attack? They now have an army, they have war ships, they also have the anti-missile system and the nuclear bomb. According to me, Americans prefer to keep their forces in foreign countries to keep their power.

I'm not really informed about this subject and I think that I've already said my opinion here but I just want to clarify something. Is North Korea a big menace for Japan? Is it necessary to keep the American forces in Japan?

If North Korea would really want to use their nuclear weapon, they would already have attacked. They'll never use it because Kim Jong-il knows that he's not alone to have the nuclear weapon and his ccountry would be eliminated instantanly if he would use it.

Are Japanese able to defend themselves in case of North Korean attack? They now have an army, they have war ships, they also have the anti-missile system and the nuclear bomb.....

Not that I really want to get in on the debate, but I thought I'd jump in and correct this. The last I checked, Japan does not have nuclear weapons. Not that wikipedia is the best source for information, but it was the easiest source to find and it matches other reports and articles I've read:

List of states with nuclear weapons - Wikipedia

A Good thinking point...

Jason... you raise a good point. America has the bomb, and America's presence in Japan is for the security of Japan too. Hence...Japan has a bomb indirectly.

But your opinion... please, should America stay or leave or is it Japan's call?

Im sad that so many ppl voted "yes"
Im american and I always though japan had a good relationship with america

I am going to say something RLY ignorant here....
why are we in japan again?

sorry, I never watch the news, its depressing

Im sad that so many ppl voted "yes"
Im american and I always though japan had a good relationship with america
I am going to say something RLY ignorant here....
why are we in japan again?
sorry, I never watch the news, its depressing
Unless you watched the news in 1945 or so, you wouldn't see it too much on TV.

Think WWII, national security, defenses overseas, treaties, allies, etc.

Unless you watched the news in 1945 or so, you wouldn't see it too much on TV.
Think WWII, national security, defenses overseas, treaties, allies, etc.

Are you saying that the atom bombs are still effecting Japanese opinion of americans today? We all know that there would have been massive casualties on either side if there was a full scale assault on japan.
sucks though, war is so sad.

Are you saying that the atom bombs are still effecting Japanese opinion of americans today? We all know that there would have been massive casualties on either side if there was a full scale assault on japan.
sucks though, war is so sad.

What a horrible thing to say. Why are you justifying the murder of hundreds of thousands of innocent civillians? The war was pretty much close to its end, and yes there would have been more casualties if the war carried on. Those casualties would have been military though, and on both sides.

My personal opinion - AMERICAS PRESENCE IN JAPAN IS NO LONGER NEEDED AND MOST OF ALL UN-WANTED.

I keep seeing comments like its some sort of holiday resort and you would be sad to see the army leave. Would americans like the same? Can i sit inside a base with machine guns, and go out at night harrassing you?

What a horrible thing to say. Why are you justifying the murder of hundreds of thousands of innocent civillians? The war was pretty much close to its end, and yes there would have been more casualties if the war carried on. Those casualties would have been military though, and on both sides.
My personal opinion - AMERICAS PRESENCE IN JAPAN IS NO LONGER NEEDED AND MOST OF ALL UN-WANTED.
I keep seeing comments like its some sort of holiday resort and you would be sad to see the army leave. Would americans like the same? Can i sit inside a base with machine guns, and go out at night harrassing you?

umm, okay. way to go and put words in my mouth.
I am not justifying anything, I am simply saying that we did what had to be done. need I remind you that we were attacked first.

If the purpose of the alliance is to "defend Japan", how can that in any way be construed as an equal alliance? A normal alliance is based on mutual protection. This alliance is not. We "protect" Japan so that it doesn't fall into the hands of our enemies. If Japan wants an equal alliance than it needs to elevate the alliance to mutual protection. A democratically elected government of Japan made the agreement to realign US forces. If the DPJ wants to welch they have that right but they must accept the consequences. Goverments change all the time in the US but that doesn't mean all deals are off. If Japan doesn't think it is more worthwhile to keep the US in the context of defender, they need to find a new powerbroker friend in the region.

If the purpose of the alliance is to "defend Japan", how can that in any way be construed as an equal alliance? A normal alliance is based on mutual protection. This alliance is not. We "protect" Japan so that it doesn't fall into the hands of our enemies. If Japan wants an equal alliance than it needs to elevate the alliance to mutual protection. A democratically elected government of Japan made the agreement to realign US forces. If the DPJ wants to welch they have that right but they must accept the consequences. Goverments change all the time in the US but that doesn't mean all deals are off. If Japan doesn't think it is more worthwhile to keep the US in the context of defender, they need to find a new powerbroker friend in the region.

I fully agree with you. Japan-US Security Treaty must be mutually beneficial to both countries. Plus US military bases play key role for peace in the region. Asia is not the same as Europe after Soviet Collapse.

Japan is a weak country, so no one respects it. Russia continues to occupy Japan's northern islands. China encroaches gas fields on the Japanese side of the Japan Sea. North Korea kidnaps Japanese citizens. And the great ally doesn't lift a finger to help. Rather, it makes demands for more cooperation in the ally's strategic interest. What kind of equal alliance is that?

Time for Japan to become a normal country, a strong country. Then no one will take anything from it. Or place unfair demands on it.

日本強くなれ。 そうすれば何も奪えれしない。

Last edited:
Japan is a weak country, so no one respects it. Russia continues to occupy Japan's northern islands. China encroaches oil fields on the Japanese side of the Japan Sea. North Korea kidanps Japanese citizens. And the great ally doesn't lift a finger to help.

There are many "Strong Countries" in the world.

1. USA: Militaristic strength is No 1, I have to admit. But could not stop 9/11 and cannot see the end of a long tunnel of the following wars against terorrs.

2. Russia: Militaristic strength is No 2, I think. But soldiers have troubles making a living.

3. China: Militaristic strength/size is No 3?, Maybe. But I have never ever learnt militaristic victory of Chinese military. The man, telling "I am strong", is usually NOT strong from my experience.

4. N Korea: Militaristic strength is unknown. Only thing for sure is that they are starving to death, and usually barking dog is just a dog.

Life in "strong countries" seems to be difficult.

Japan is a weak country, so no one respects it. Russia continues to occupy Japan's northern islands. China encroaches oil fields on the Japanese side of the Japan Sea. North Korea kidanps Japanese citizens. And the great ally doesn't lift a finger to help. Rather, it makes demands for more cooperation in the ally's interest. Whatr kind of equal alliance is this?
Time for Japan to become a normal country, a strong country. Then no one will take anything from it. Or make unfair demands on it.
The US and Japan do have common interests in keeping US forces in the theatre, but it part of a "grand strategy" at containment, not some altruistic mission to only "defend Japan."

Of course they are free to escape the label of "junior partner" by engaging in close dialogue and consultation with the allies. I hope there is a new Asianism that doesn't include playing spoiler and pissing everyone off as happened with the North Korea talks....

I think that in an ideal world the US should remove its forces from all of its bases outside of the USA or dependencies. However, this isn't an ideal world. Until that time (who am I kidding?) I do think the US should demonstrate a little more sympathy towards local sentiments, and revise the individual SOFAs that mean soldiers that commit offences can simply escape justice by being transferred out of the country; no-one else can do this so why should they? Equally, US armed forces should respect local conditions and constitutions (such as keeping nuclear forces away from Japan) and then I think their cause may be tolerated a little more.

Japan is a weak country, so no one respects it. Russia continues to occupy Japan's northern islands. China encroaches gas fields on the Japanese side of the Japan Sea. North Korea kidnaps Japanese citizens. And the great ally doesn't lift a finger to help.

Just because Japan doesn't lash out at every provocation doesn't mean it is a weak country.
For instance, Israel. Every time a rocket is fired into a settlement, the IDF initiate aggressive military responses, far outweighing the level of the initial enemy attack. What does this achieve? Escalated conflict.
Japan's international stance is a balance between a desire to correct what it sees as 'wrongs' (the northern Islands, Dokdo, the oilfields, etc) and its World #2 economic status. To overtly challenge the status quo would inevitably devastate its regional and global economic position.

Just because Japan doesn't lash out at every provocation doesn't mean it is a weak country.
For instance, Israel. Every time a rocket is fired into a settlement, the IDF initiate aggressive military responses, far outweighing the level of the initial enemy attack. What does this achieve? Escalated conflict.
Japan's international stance is a balance between a desire to correct what it sees as 'wrongs' (the northern Islands, Dokdo, the oilfields, etc) and its World #2 economic status. To overtly challenge the status quo would inevitably devastate its regional and global economic position.

What a far-fetched analogy. I'm just talking about losing article 9 that was imposed by McArthur to keep Japan in a dependent position.

Japan doesn't need to go nuclear or resort to overkill as Israel has, but some offensive capabilties such as cruise missiles and such would make potential enemies think twice about provocative actions. Then Japan could take over some of the bases now used by the U.S. (This would also help the U.S. to reduce its military and relieve some of its deficit budget expenditures - a win-win scenario.)

Back
Top Bottom