What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

In search of someone who can do sosho script calligraphy?

Reaction score
A dear friend, who is a native speaker of nihongo, arranged a tanka for me some years ago.

I've had it painted onto a large rock in my garden for a long time. I'd like to have it permanently engraved onto the rock.

Before I do, I'd like to have it professionally written out in sosho script for the engraver to make a stencil from.

I've had a hard time finding someone who is skilled in sosho. I've searcher around on google and facebook with no luck. A friend has family who lives in Japan and they are inquiring there as well.

Basically what I need is the tanka written out in sosho script on a piece of paper that I can scan it at a very high resolution for the engraver's sand blasting stencil. Or, if the calligrapher could scan it I could just use a digital copy if it can be scanned at a high enough resolution.

Thank you for any leads or info.

mdchachi

Reaction score

mdchachi

Reaction score
Those are nice, but they're more like gyosho than sosho.
Yes I understand. Just trying to help find a practical solution. The advantage to gyosho is that it will be legible to most people. But if you have your heart set on sosho it will be trickier for sure. I would probably look for a local Japanese school where they certainly teach calligraphy and, if you're lucky, there may be a teacher willing to take a stab at it for you.
Here's a place in Indianapolis. 校長先生のお話し

Reaction score
I plan to have it written in plainer script with the translation on a tatefuda with the rock.

Thank you for that link! I've never known of that place before. I had no idea there was a place like that in Indiana. That's awesome and very helpful! Thank you very much! :)

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Here's 4 free cursive script (sōsho-tai) fonts.

Reaction score
Here's 4 free cursive script (sōsho-tai) fonts.

Thank you for the links and effort. I downloaded the two that I could access, but it seems they don't have a very large character set. It left out several kanji. :(

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Are you referring to the last two ones; 白舟草書教漢 and 白舟草書年賀? If so, it's written in the disclaimer.

白舟草書教漢
ダウンロードできる白舟書体教育漢字版フォントの漢字の文字数は教育漢字1006字のみです。
あとはひらがな、カタカナが含まれているだけです。

the list of 1006 kanji

白舟草書年賀
【目的別フォントについて】
「教育漢字版」はある意味サンプル版なのです。
しかしそれを何かに利用しようとしても、例えば年賀状に「謹賀新年」と打とうにも「謹」の文字が、またのし紙に「御祝 佐藤」と打とうにも「御」と「藤」の文字がない為に使用できません。 そこで、「教育漢字版」とは別に季節毎にある目的にのみ使用できるフォントを、四季の詞「目的別フォント」として提供しています。 ある目的の為には「教育漢字版」より便利ですが、一般的に「教育漢字版」より含まれている文字数は少なくなっています。
必ず収録文字種をご確認ください

the list of kanji in 白舟書体年賀

How about the second one 衡山毛筆フォント草書? It contains JIS非漢字, JIS第一水準漢字 and JIS第二水準漢字 (i.e. over 6,300 kanji).

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
"GL-Tsukiji-2go" is the first one GL-築地二号. It only contains hiragana and katakana.

GL-築地二号
草書体風かな文字。ひらがな・カタカナのみ収録

And "hksoukkm" is the third one 白舟草書教漢; only 1006 kanji for elementary education.

Here's the page for 衡山毛筆フォント草書.

Top Bottom