What's new

I wonder why people sign up and never return

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
I see so many people join JREF and the time between them signing in and signing out is about 3 to 5 minutes. Then they never return. Now I know spammers do it , but these people never return. Did they expect to find something and didn't. Did they sign up so they could have access to a members info? I have a feeling I will die still wondering about it , LOL.

I see so many people join JREF and the time between them signing in and signing out is about 3 to 5 minutes. Then they never return. Now I know spammers do it , but these people never return. Did they expect to find something and didn't. Did they sign up so they could have access to a members info? I have a feeling I will die still wondering about it , LOL.
I think it's a lot easier to sign up nowadays via 3rd party authorization such as Google. So maybe some people are just hitting OK without thinking about it and not even knowing that they are signed up.

I have been wondering this myself. You would assume that someone who takes the time to register would wish to contribute in one way or another.

Here are my thoughts:
  1. many people are unfamiliar with the forum format. For those coming from social media, we have an extensive FAQ section. We even have a thread extolling the advantages forums have over FB.
  2. First-timers on mobile devices might feel overwhelmed. We try to keep things simple ("KISS").
We started to show the following notification to registered members who haven't posted yet:

registered-notice.png

That led to a few introductions. If you can think of any improvements, please share them. :)

If most people are actually registering with their email addresses in the old school way, I find that puzzling indeed.

Do you need to be logged in to see any content like pictures? I know I have run into that on some forums.

Do you need to be logged in to see any content like pictures? I know I have run into that on some forums.

Good thinking! Our pictures, attachments, and resources, however, are visible to guests, otherwise almighty G couldn't see them either.

I think what bothers me is there is so much on JREF. Pictures , tons of different interesting information. It just seems if you take the time to join and look around a bit , you would be hooked for hours and keep coming back to check things out. I confess to joining several forums and after a month or two , I lose interest and don't return. My curiosity makes me keep coming back for quite a while to make sure I get all the info on the forum before I give up on it. I guess that's why I don't understand a 5 minute check and never returning and it bugs me.

Back
Top Bottom