What's new

"I will do as you say"

How about giving us your best effort at it first?

Well, I could try, but I'm nearly certain it would be pretty off. I understand your concerns, Mike - regarding my refrain from studying the grammar. However, I've actually only been doing just that. I don't often post about grammar questions because my sources have it pretty laid out for me to understand well. You don't seem like the type of guy to sugarcoat anything and frankly I'm grateful to you for that. I needed to hear your words as it's put me in the right direction. There are no special shortcuts to becoming fluent, I get it.

Nonetheless, I would really just prefer to have this phrase translated for me as I've heard it many times, but can't grasp the words and i'm unable to find any sources

Well, I could try, but I'm nearly certain it would be pretty off

So?

Asking people who are learning Japanese to provide their own best effort at something rather than just handing them translations is standard practice on this forum. It isn't just me nagging you about learning grammar again. If I wanted to do that, I would have done that. I'm not particularly shy.

おっしゃる通りに致します。
言われた通りにします。
言う通りにやります。
言われた通りやってみます。
おっしゃることに従います。
試してみます。
etc. etc...

お願いします
^
And is this ok to use for a "thanks in advance"?
Yes, but よろしくお願いします is more appropriate. Also, I don't recommend using the phrase/sentence you want to be translated as the title of the thread. I thought you wanted to know the translation of よろしくお願いします at first.

おっしゃる通りに致します。
言われた通りにします。
言う通りにやります。
言われた通りやってみます。
おっしゃることに従います。
試してみます。
etc. etc...

Yes, but よろしくお願いします is more appropriate. Also, I don't recommend using the phrase/sentence you want to be translated as the title of the thread. I thought you wanted to know the translation of よろしくお願いします at first.
本当にありがとうございました

So?

Asking people who are learning Japanese to provide their own best effort at something rather than just handing them translations is standard practice on this forum. It isn't just me nagging you about learning grammar again. If I wanted to do that, I would have done that. I'm not particularly shy.

Well, last time I was dreadfully off it went in that direction. And you avoided my other question which wasn't asking for a spoon-fed translation so I assumed you weren't particularly interested in assisting me

we all know what they say about assumptions though

Avoidance requires intent. I simply neglected to answer it.

I'm interested in helping anyone who is interested in helping themselves. That doesn't always result in replying to every single point or question, though. It is rather rare that I reply to every point, come to think of it, so I hope you won't take it as a personal slight.

I would have given you the same reply whether I had ever spoken to you before or not. I'm well aware I have already twice suggested you learn basic grammar. I give you credit for being smart enough not to need to hear it a third time in rapid succession.

Avoidance requires intent. I simply neglected to answer it.

I'm interested in helping anyone who is interested in helping themselves. That doesn't always result in replying to every single point or question, though. It is rather rare that I reply to every point, come to think of it, so I hope you won't take it as a personal slight.

I would have given you the same reply whether I had ever spoken to you before or not. I'm well aware I have already twice suggested you learn basic grammar. I give you credit for being smart enough not to need to hear it a third time in rapid succession.

I don't mean to cause any dissonance with you man. I'm actually a very nice guy. In fact that's the last thing I want for any interaction I have. It just feels very unwelcoming when I'm met with borderline caustic comments that aren't exactly answering from a slant that's helpful or productive toward my actual question. It's clear I'm new to forums so maybe I really am misinterpreting the situation to an extreme degree

I have no doubt you're a very nice guy.

This isn't like ordering chicken nuggets at a drive-thru, where you just say what you want and get it handed to you, with the clerk not giving you a second thought or giving a damn about you as an individual.

Not getting the answer you want BAM! in the first reply you get doesn't mean you're not going to get the answer you want at all. We prefer to help you learn by seeing where you are, what you already know, what you have trouble with, what you may have mislearned, etc and then helping you work through it. It's the old "teach a man to fish" vs "give a man a fish" thing. If having fish handed to you worked, then you would already have this down from the times you have seen it before yet can't recall.

Not just handing you what you ask for right away isn't a sign I don't want to help you, it is a sign that I do want to help you. The easiest thing in the world would be to ignore your question completely. The second easiest would be to just mindlessly give you what you ask for and keep on moving, rather than invite you to interact in a learning experience that will require time and effort from both of us. If all you ever want is just to have things handed to you, then let me know right now and I will save us both from any future misunderstandings by simply not interacting with you at all. It isn't my intent to nag into learning the language someone who isn't interested in learning the language but instead just wants to learn some phrases.

Back
Top Bottom