What's new

I now know why I always have a runny nose

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
It's the air pollution coming in from China. My runny nose is really active when out cycling. Does this happen to you folks?

Have you been checked for allergies? I'm not allergic to cedar pollen but the sheer amount of allergens in the air is quite irritating during kafunshō season.

It could also be what's often referred to as yellow sand:

It's the air pollution coming in from China. My runny nose is really active when out cycling. Does this happen to you folks?
Quite probably, but I also feel that China is used as a scapegoat to some extent since it means that Japanese businesses and people don't need to clean up their act.. The Kanto conurbation produces a lot of pollution and you can see the smog if you climb a hill at the edge of the conurbation. If only pollution levels were given a fraction of the forensic attention that the weather gets in Japan!

Have you been checked for allergies? I'm not allergic to cedar pollen but the sheer amount of allergens in the air is quite irritating during kafunshō season.

It could also be what's often referred to as yellow sand:

No allergies at all. What ever it is, its in the air. And yellow sand, yep, just look at it on your car after a good rain..

... The Kanto conurbation produces a lot of pollution and you can see the smog if you climb a hill at the edge of the conurbation. If only pollution levels were given a fraction of the forensic attention that the weather gets in Japan!

Kanto/Japan is typically quite good compared to metro Seoul and large parts of China.

(zoom out until the map includes all three)

@musicisgood
Do you have the symptoms when you are outside NOT cycling ? Because chances are you have a case of exercise-induced rhinitis (which i suffer from myself) Exercise-induced rhinitis: a common disorder that adversely affects allergic and nonallergic athletes. - PubMed - NCBI

Thanks Lomaster
Yes, I have the same symptoms indoors also. Glad you brought that up. I always thought it may just be the chemicals they use in the tissues.
I also have a flem issue too, but I know that's a gene issue because my father had a heavy flem (sp) problem. phlem (sp) ?

I have it pretty bad, so much so when I go to the Loto booths I ask for their free tissues.
Again, thanks for informing me about rhinitis.

I was out cycling in the spring at night and the crap ton of particles I saw floating in the air by my forehead light was DEFINITELY not sand from China. Of course I am sure I am not in the same area as Musicisgood, but is WAAAYYY too easy to pick one of the many nasal irritants around from a hat and declare that's gotta be it.

Never had any allergies until I came to Japan and I had an allergic reaction immediately. Then I had no more for 20 years and now its every spring.

Another thing one should never discount is things working in concert. Dust from China might be merely be a factor rather than a pure cause. It might be a combination causing problems....such as modern pollutants and pollen hitching a ride on that dust.

I am not accepting anything getting the blame without at least the equivalent of a 5 page report explaining why all other possibilities were dismissed. This stuff is really that complicated.

Yes, there is so much crap in the air these days. I live in an industrial town and the air stinks badly. Ube kosan is the polluter here.

Back
Top Bottom