26 Aug 2004
1) 鍵をかけた部屋 独りぼっちで君が泣いてた
I don't know what ぼっちで means.

2) うつむくその目に昨日ばかり映しても進めやしないさ
I don't know what 進めやしない means. Also, what does the さ at the end
mean?

3) 息苦しいなら隠れてちゃダメだと 知ってるくせにさ
I am having trouble with ちゃ and the と.

1. Try 独りぼっち as a unit instead of 独り by itself.

2. The ~やしない ending is a more emphatic form of the negative, indicating one's conviction that <verb> ain't gonna happen. Not no way, not no how. さ is a sort of emphatic sentence ending.

3. The ちゃ is a combination ellision/contraction and if it were all there it would be いては. the て and the は combine into ちゃ and the い of いて gets dropped. The と has the same function as the と in such phrases as と言う.

I'm guessing you must be learning on your own, elsewise you certainly would have encountered it before you encountered things like nouns modified by verbs (鍵をかけた部屋).

I recommend "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" if you can find it. It's a hard title to come by.

If you want a place where you can buy the book Mike suggested, try here. It's a bit more expensive than places like Amazon and from the Japan Times website, but you won't have to endure a long wait for it either.

"to iu" has many usages.

Basically it could serve as hearsay. "kinou, bakudan ga bakuhatsu shita to iu (koto da)" I heard that yesterday, a bomb exploded.

Back
Top Bottom