What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

I need a lot of help

kuritiusu

蒼海の武王
Reaction score
1) 鍵をかけた部屋 独りぼっちで君が泣いてた
I don't know what ぼっちで means.

2) うつむくその目に昨日ばかり映しても進めやしないさ
I don't know what 進めやしない means. Also, what does the さ at the end
mean?

3) 息苦しいなら隠れてちゃダメだと 知ってるくせにさ
I am having trouble with ちゃ and the と.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
1. Try 独りぼっち as a unit instead of 独り by itself.

2. The ~やしない ending is a more emphatic form of the negative, indicating one's conviction that <verb> ain't gonna happen. Not no way, not no how. さ is a sort of emphatic sentence ending.

3. The ちゃ is a combination ellision/contraction and if it were all there it would be いては. the  て and the は combine into ちゃ and the い of いて gets dropped. The と has the same function as the と in such phrases as と言う.

kuritiusu

蒼海の武王
Reaction score
Thanks for your help but I'm not sure about the function of と in と言う.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
I'm guessing you must be learning on your own, elsewise you certainly would have encountered it before you encountered things like nouns modified by verbs (鍵をかけた部屋).

I recommend "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" if you can find it. It's a hard title to come by.

Stutz

先輩
Reaction score
If you want a place where you can buy the book Mike suggested, try here. It's a bit more expensive than places like Amazon and from the Japan Times website, but you won't have to endure a long wait for it either.

nhk9

先輩
Reaction score
"to iu" has many usages.

Basically it could serve as hearsay. "kinou, bakudan ga bakuhatsu shita to iu (koto da)" I heard that yesterday, a bomb exploded.

Top Bottom