What's new

How to tell if a Japanese product is recyclable? Specific item query from Amazon.jp

15 Jun 2012
Hello everyone!

I was reading through a manga and saw a character use one of these types of soap refills. It made me wonder if this specific product was recyclable and led me down a rabbit hole on Japanese recyclables. I understand now the certain symbols listed on wikipedia and such, but I can't see that on the product page or the product image.

I'm still curious to know if this is recyclable and would love the answer to that, but for future reference, is there an easy way to find this information on a product's webpage if there is no recyclable symbol on it (ie keywords I can search for outside of プラ)? Or is it just typically understood if X type of product is or isn't recyclable in Japan?

Thank you for your time!

On Unilever Japan's site (the company that owns the Dove brand), it says tat as of mid 2019, 10% of the refillable pouches for their main brands, including Dove, are made from recyclable plastic.

You can see the 「プラ」 symbol on the back of the individual packs

Amazon product ASIN B0833G9X8P

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I was reading through a manga and saw a character use one of these types of soap refills. It made me wonder if this specific product was recyclable and led me down a rabbit hole on Japanese recyclables. I understand now the certain symbols listed on wikipedia and such, but I can't see that on the product page or the product image.

I'm still curious to know if this is recyclable and would love the answer to that, but for future reference, is there an easy way to find this information on a product's webpage if there is no recyclable symbol on it (ie keywords I can search for outside of プラ)? Or is it just typically understood if X type of product is or isn't recyclable in Japan?

Thank you for your time!
I think in general if the product packaging doesn't have a recyclable mark then it's not considered recyclable. Although this this bag is not meant to be recyclable it reduces plastic waste by being able to refill the plastic bottle (per the note written on the bottom left of the product).

Back
Top Bottom