What's new

How to say "my love" in Japanese

bblibra

後輩
17 Sep 2003
how would you call someone "my love" in japanese like when you call someone "my love" in english...... if there is some other expression, what is that........ such as "my sweetheart, my darling, my heart, etc." thanks

I am female and I want to call a man "my love"..... but please tell me what a man would call a woman as well....... thanks very much......

I'm not sure, but I think "anata" is usually enough for women-->men as dear or sweetheart although some married women just their husband's name name + chan. For men, maybe "kimi" for you is the most standard term of affection.

Apparently, there's also "itoshii" (愛しい), which is an adjective. I'm not sure how common it is, though.

Hmm.. In Japan you never use such names of affection the way americans do, for example..
The nearest you can come, is calling eachother's names a bit cuter.
Like shortening the name and adding "chan" to it.

"Anata", which means "you", is what a wife would say to her husband..
But he would call her by her name..

I have heard a wife using the name + chan for her husband, but it must be fairly rare. And he is so cute 😍

Last edited:
Un, using "anata" is very traditional, and I guess that in modern days like these, people are beginning to change that..
I wouldn't want to stop calling him "anata" instead of that very personal nickname. That nickname is a sign of how close two people are.. I wouldn't want to just throw that away.. Ô_o

I do still feel a little insecure when even close Japanese friends continue to call me "anata," though,....but maybe it is considered polite for addressing foreigners? Especially from men to women with a lower social standing.

They call you "anata"? hmm...It is more polite, yes.
And if you're an adult.. maybe the politeness is stronger.. o_O
I'm 17 and my friends and classmates were all more intimate in their language from the start. Like calling me "Hana-chan" or just "Hana".

First of all, Jackie Chan is Chinese, not Japanese.
Chan is a Chinese surname (his real original surname, though "Jackie" is a stage name).
It has nothing to do with the Japanese diminutive suffix "-chan".

(Incidentally, the Chinese family name "Chan" as in Jackie Chan is typically pronounced チェン/Chen in Japanese. Even in cases where the Chinese name チャン/Chan is used in Japanese, Japanese people can understand from context that it's a Chinese name and not the Japanese suffix -ちゃん.)

It reminds me of an old pop singer Agnes Chan from Hong Kong. She is called アグネス・チャン Agunesu Chan in Japanese. In addition to context, while the pitch accent of her full name アグネス・チャン is Agunesu /Cha\n (Agunesu is type0: flat), her first name and the suffix ちゃん, i.e., アグネスちゃん is A\gunesu Chan (Agunesu is type1: the accent is on the first mora). Thus, these two homophones can be easily distinguished in oral conversation.

Back
Top Bottom