What's new

How do you feel about live performances?

DoctorP

先輩
3 Jun 2004
I'm not talking about concerts...those are usually great. What I am referring to are performances on late night talk shows, awards shows, etc...
The reason I ask is that today I watched the Oscars and many of the live acts sucked...I realize that part of this is due to the accoustics of the arena, or to the fact that the group may not have their normal sound people running things, but all in all I tend to think that most live performances such as these awards shows, superbowl, nba all star game....all suck...what do you think?

put someone like britney on stage and she'll mime. put someone like metallica on stage and they'll change your life. hmm. could it be... that if they suck live... then they may actually just suck full stop??!

Lacking socially redeeming value

I normally reserve the term "live performances" for things like plays. I love live theater, but awards shows, late-night, and even "all-star" games are bor-ring for my tastes and without...well, the title tells it all.

My favorite live entertainment is dinner theater. There is nothing like a fine wine and a good meal to accentuate William Shakespeare's best stuff. That is the way that they did it back at Statford-on-Avon, isn't it?

The old Cavalier Dinner Playhouse in Norfolk, VA was my favorite. Long gone, it was a fine way to entertain as well as impress a date. Sweet was the wine of her lips....

Carpe noctum, in vino veritas!

It`s hard to capture the energy of a great live performance (and convey it successfully) on TV I think. I`ve seen plenty of aired performances by my fav artists that were mediocre at best (imo) but in person might have been pretty noteworthy. Who knows... maybe that age-old adage of "I guess you had to be there..." still holds true, heh. *shrug*

that paul mccartney half-time show from superbowl was good!

and some liver performances sucks, but not all of them do.. so far its 50/50 for me ;)

Yeah, Sir Paul rocked the house. Most of today's so-called performers can take a few lessons from him!
👍

Most impressive live performance I saw on TV was Usher on MTV music video awards; his video was great as it was, but it was incredible to see him and the other dancers utilizing the stage.

I saw that as well, his performance was great. While his music wasn't much to my liking, that was quite a feat, his dancing and such.

kawaiisan said:
I saw that as well, his performance was great. While his music wasn't much to my liking, that was quite a feat, his dancing and such.

I know, I didn't care about that song that much either, but their physical movement was much more reall on stage.

Back
Top Bottom