What's new

How do modern Japanese feel about Koreans?

韓国のクジラ料理、12種の味わい
ソウルでも鯨肉を味わうことのできる専門店がオープンした。
その店はソウル江南清潭洞デザイナークラブの裏にある「蔚山鯨家」。
http://www.chosunonline.com/article/20080114000016
12 different tastes! Whale dishes in South Korea
A whale restaurant, Ulsan Whale House, opened in Gangnam, Seoul.
*Sorry, I cannot read any Korean, or cannot find the English article in Chosun Ilbo, either. All I know is that Seoul is your capital city.

So please tell the anti-whaling activists where is the restaurant in Gangnam, the coolest place in the anti-whaling country.
Probably it is legal for eco-terrorists to be loud at a restaurant in an anti-whaling country...

SKorean police seize tonnes of whale meat
Jan 12, 2008
SEOUL (AFP) — Police have broken an illegal whale poaching racket, confiscating more than 50 tonnes of Minke meat in the largest seizure of its kind in South Korea, an official said Saturday.
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jCeYqfFEHfosYv2TeuJMIYaI1lRw

The other day, The first national treasure of South Korea was burnt down.
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200802/200802120011.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=af4.pLH0dHNY

Indeed, I feel sorry about that.

here is a article about Namdaemun three years ago.
韓国の国宝第1号は、南大門(ナムデムン)だ。 国の宝物として、その価値が格別であり、国家が保護・管理を行なう1等の文化財だが、韓国が決めた国宝ではない。 日本による植民支配時代(1910~45年)だった1934年、朝鮮総督府が、朝鮮(チョソン、1390~1910)の主要文化財への保存令を下す際、指定したものだ。 宝物・第1号の東大門(トンデムン)も同様である。 建築的な美が、それほど優れているとは思えない朝鮮王朝の一つの建築物を、5000年にわたる韓民族文化の最高の象徴に決めた日本帝国主義の本音がうかがえる

70年の歳月が流れる間、よその国が決めた国宝第1号を、皆が誇らしく思い、覚えていたわけではない

This Namdaemunn was not decided by Korea though there is special value as a national treasure.
This was instructed in when the Chosun governor-general put out the protection order for the cultural asset of Korea.
Architectural beauty doesn't seem to be excellent.
The real intention of Japanese imperialism decided to be the highest symbol of the Korean culture for 5000 years can look for one building of Chosun dynasty. ...

We, The South Koreans, have not thought of this building to be proud for 70 years.

The real 1st Korean national treasure can be Hangle.
中央日報日本語版 エラー

I think most Japanese know that truth.
there were many hangle textbook for Korean school kid at that time
サービス終了のお知らせ

I think It is a curse that pulls out the paling without permission. :p

Very sad indeed!

Here is an english version of the arrest of the
attacker:

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200802/200802120024.html

Suspected Namdaemun Arsonist Held

A septuagenarian has apparently confessed to setting fire to the Sungnyemun, better known as Namdaemun or South gate, causing a conflagration that completely destroyed the historic Seoul landmark within hours on Sunday night. Investigators said the suspect, identified as Chae, matches descriptions by witnesses and has the same clothes and bag as a man who was seen at the scene. He was arrested in Ganghwa Island on Monday.
Investigators also found a ladder and a bottle of thinner at his home.

Chae is a recidivist, with a previous conviction for setting fire to an ancient building at Changgyeong Palace, a structure from the Chosun dynasty in Seoul, in April 2006, causing damage worth W4 million (US$1=W945). The 70-year-old man is on record as saying he committed the arson out of discontent with compensation for his land, which was appropriated by the government.

In a letter police seized on Monday, Chae says he did not sell a plot of land in Ilsan, Gyeonggi Province, which is to be developed by the government, as he is dissatisfied with compensation, so he set the gate ablaze to draw public attention.

The confession may put some of the wilder speculation that arose since Sunday night's tragedy to rest. Police had suggested that a homeless man might have committed the arson since the monument is located near Seoul Station, where many homeless people find shelter. On the Internet, there were claims of a terrorist attack by Islamic fundamentalists or Japanese who "hate Korean traditions", pointing to the simmering dispute with Japan over the Dokdo islets.

There was even speculation that the arson attack was a political scheme to avert public attention from a special investigation of allegations surrounding president-elect Lee Myung-bak.

I cant understand why there are so many arsons in korea
it seems to happen everyday somewhere in south korea as their culture accoding to korean Newspaper

Objective advice for travellers to South Korea:

1. Japanese Ministry of Foregin Affaris: 外務省
As Crime rate in South Korea is increasing, travellers must be cautious in travelling the country, and quoting White Paper 2004 of Korean Police Dept as follows:

- Theft: 155,311 incidents down by 17.1% from the previous year
- Fraud: 239,664 up by 3.3%
- Arrogate: 25,702 up by 15.3%
- Beach of trust: 5,787 up by 31.0%
- Burglary: 5,832, down by 20.0%
- Rape: 6,950, up by 17.8%
-Violence: 286,464, down by 2.9%

This means Koreans tend to lie in a straight face, and if in trouble, they tend to become violent.... What a coincident to what it is said!

2. US Department of State: 404 - Page Not Found

CRIME: Although the crime rate in the Republic of Korea is low, there is a higher incidence of pick-pocketing, purse snatching, assault, hotel room and residential burglary, and residential crime in major metropolitan areas, such as Seoul and Busan, than elsewhere in Korea. U.S. citizens are more likely to be targeted in known tourist areas, such as Itaewon (near the U.S. Army Garrison in the Yongsan area) and large market areas downtown. Incidents of rape have been reported in popular nightlife districts in Seoul, as well as in the victims' residences. Travelers should exercise caution when traveling alone at night and should use only legitimate taxis or public transportation. Travelers may reduce the likelihood of encountering incidents of crime by exercising the same type of security precautions they would take when visiting any large city in the United States.
So more or less the same as Japanese MOFA.

So our feeling about Korea is "Dangerous".

Last edited:
Have you ever ( wondered ) questioned if those Japanese are actually Zainichi-Koreans or of Korean-background with Yamatoized surnames.
One example is Junki Yoshida ( not Pak 窶菟 or Kim 窶ケテ? ),a Zainichi Korean ... 😊
http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=4001#comments

Well said.

The worst example is Mr Norimistu Onishi of NYT Tokyo correspondent., reportedly a Canadian journalist born in Ichikawa, Chiba Prefecture, Japan. When he was four, his family immigrated to Montreal, Quebec, Canada....

However, He is not Japanese background, but in fact Zainichi-Korean (born in Korean family living in Japan). After his family obtained Japanese nationality, the family moved to Canada.

This man has returned to Japan as NYT Tokyo correspondent and started anti-Japan propaganda. His policy is obviously pro-Korea, and anything about Japan is negative.

Typical exapmle is http://www.occidentalism.org/?p=442

It is easy to identify Chinese anti-Japan propaganda, but Korean anti-Japan propaganda is more sophisticated these days and difficult to identify.

Anyhow, it is good to know that Koreans often pretend to be Japanese in foreign countries because "Japan" is branded, while "Korea" is not.

The worst example is Mr Norimistu Onishi is not Japanese background, but in fact Zainichi-Korean ( born in Korean family living in Japan ). This man has returned to Japan as NYT Tokyo correspondent and started anti-Japan propaganda. His policy is obviously pro-Korea, and anything about Japan is negative.

It is easy to identify Chinese anti-Japan propaganda, but Korean anti-Japan propaganda is more sophisticated these days and difficult to identify.

In case of a future military conflict ( not that I predict there is one coming soon ) between Japan & either regime in the Korea peninsula,I can imagine Japan must act quick to " weed out " you know who.

Inside mainland China,a percentage of ethnic Korean ( Chosunjuk 朝鮮族 ) minority is the " fifth column " :p.There is one major bilingual Korean & Chinese * 環球阿裏郎 website funded by SK underground ultra-nationalist movement ( aka Pan-Altaic or Pan-Mongolic crap ).It promotes K-nationalism & praises K-culture.Some threads blatantly sh!t on China and Chi-nee people ( stating both Koreans & Japanese are basically one race not genetically or culturally related to Chinese population ).

* Source: 精彩推荐

To this day,I haven't read any assimilated Japan-born Chinese descent ( full blood or mixed heritage ) backstabbing Japan.One name comes to mind at this writing ( I've already mentioned 王貞治 Sadaharu Oh ) ,a well-known Japanese (声優) voice-actress 潘恵子 Han Keiko ( photo below ) for some popular Japanese Anime.

Keiko Han - WikiMoon

Keiko HAN - Anime News Network

Last edited:
Inside the Japanese Blogosphere - The Anti-Korea Wave

The ever-useful "Ninki Blog Ranking" lists the most-viewed Japanese blogs in a number of different categories. There are blogs for mothers who wish to help their children study more effectively, blogs devoted to tracking the movements of celebrities, and blogs that discuss the best way to diet. And, like any other online community, Japan has no shortage of blogs devoted to punditry, with most of the discussion focusing on the deteriorating relationship amongst Japan and its Asian neighbours, China and the two Koreas.

According to the blog rankings, Japanese bloggers are in no mood for reconciliation. And despite the popularity of all things Korean in Japan, the so-called Kan-ryuu, or Korean Wave, many bloggers are taking aim at Korea.

Choose (what you believe) Carefully! Information on Korea is the sixth most popular blog in Japan right now, according to Ninki Blog Ranking, and bills itself as an antidote for the Japanese "mass media's tendency to beautify Korea."

Other popular political blogs include Japan's Outrageous Asian Neighbours (currently the 7th most popular Japanese-language blog), We Don't Need No Kan-ryuu (ranked at number 11), and The Truth About Asia - what the mass media doesn't tell you about China and Korea (occupying 12th place).

In general, Japanese bloggers are expressing frustration and irritation towards Korea and China in the wake of the anti-Japanese protests that occured in those countries this past spring, as well as in the face of tensions with Korea over the ownership of an island in the Japan Sea (or the East Sea, as called by Koreans) called Takeshima by Japan and Tokdo by Korea.....

Inside the Japanese Blogosphere – The Anti-Korea Wave

I think Japan has been well normalized in these days.

For real,( 韓流 ) Korean Wave finally faded 😄:romance:.

There is no entertainment section dedicates to it @ excite.co.jp website since beginning of this year.

However,resurgence of J-Wave in S Korea ..

* This sort of popularity of Japanese culture before the import restrictions were removed has been referred to as the 'underground Japan wave'. Now a new Japan wave is at its height. Last year, 10 films based on original Japanese stories were filmed in Korea, including Kanna-san Daiseiko Desu!

It's been just 10 years since the South Korean government gradually began to lift the restrictions on the import of popular Japanese culture in 1998.

The Japan Wave in South Korea: It's older than you think

https://jref.com/society/trivia_japan.shtml
The old Japanese language was a blend of ancient Korean and Ainu language. Since the 6th century, Chinese characters (and the words that go with them) were imported into the language, and now amount to about half of the vocabulary in Japanese.
i think it is completly wrong because there is no document🙂
70% of korean language Pronunciation of word
are chinese. There is hardly commonness of Japanese and a Korean language in syllable or 語韻.
anyway there is no document of korean sound at that time.
Btw. last night, a korean said " there is no 概念(concept) in Japan
then I asked what concept...........
anyway I could not understand at all until last.
then a Japanese told me " 概念" in korean means "common sense".
what?
so I understood they dont know the meaning of origin because of hangul.
I do not think that there is superiority or inferiority in the language..................
:p
it is said Japanese language is mysterious though there are many document.
in General ,it is said Kanji transmitted from China was 7th CE.
However, there is some traces where the japanese were using Kanji from B.C.
When Japanese was not able to be described by the letter , number of Japanese phonemes seems to have been more than that of now like ゑ ゐ.
It is possible to avoid misunderstanding now if it writes by the character even
because of a vague pronunciation.
However, I think because it was necessary to listen to the word because of the sound in the age without the letter, a vague pronunciation might not have been permitted.
In the civilization without the character, the race's memory was told by oral tradition
Ainu language - Wikipedia
ainu has more
as for freely expressed , the Japanese who had taken the Chinese character into Japanese did various devices.
The phoneme that cannot be expressed by the character might be weeded out, and it been fused with the phoneme of the approximation.
as for Korean language, it was as mysterious as Japanese.
Korean did not have an original character, and did not esteem an own language culture.
Korea was disregarding not only the language culture but also the home country culture.
In addition, even the scholar at the level by which the country is represented gets beaten up if he or she puts out research results to disobey race's feelings now.
Therefore, the research of Korean language by the Korean people seems not to advance easily.
There is no material even if they wants to research.
surely, it become it mysterious....
I think that there are considerably a lot of phonemes of a Korean language
compared with Japanese.
and they are poud of that.
that is why The Korean seems to understand Korean is superior language.
indeed, the number of phonemes in korean decreases obviously
I think that it can be an advancement that the phoneme is weeded out in a certain language in the phoneme linguistics.
However, on the other hand, room where the misunderstanding is caused when communicating by the pronunciation comes to increase.
In Japanese, the room for the misunderstanding has been buried by using the Chinese character.
as far as Chinese character is used even if the phoneme is few and the pronunciation is changed , the meaning can be faultlessly told.
They cannot search what meaning former word has from the character.
Therefore, even if they use the character, they are searching for the meaning of the word because of the sound that not the character but the character shows.
that is why they fall into strange peculiar ideas by Hangul only of
the pronunciation.??

Last edited:
Well, I live in Tokyo so I can give a little insight into this question. A lot of the Japanese I have spoken to tend to avoid the Koreans. It is not that they do not like Koreans, it is more that they view them as trouble. There is a Korean section of Tokyo called Shin-Okubo. That section is a little dangerous and has a slight crime problem. I actually go to that part of town often to attend Punk shows. I have never had any problems in Shin-Okubo but I can feel the tension in the air.

Older generation Japaneses tend to have negative view about Korea. But moder Japaneses have good impression about Korea.

Back
Top Bottom