What's new

How do japanese feel?...

MajideSaiaku

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai
19 Jan 2005
...About this website?....im sitting here, at a laptop, with a window to the view of the mountains, in the middle of ome city, and it just occured to me, most japanese have no idea that there is a website out there where mostly foreigners talk about their country, we praise it, we insult it, we pick it apart, we question every aspect of their lives and the world they inhabit, we thoroughly pick apart and put back together and discuss their country in a greater detail they they may have even thought to do themselves, very few countries are scrutinized so thoroughly by a group of people not native to that country and certainly not members of intelligence agencies (at least i hope not...).

So the topic is: how do the japanese members here feel about Jref and the foreign clientel who frequent here?, how do you personally feel about the depths of discussion about your country that goes on?, do you feel more japanese people should become involved?, what are your personal thoughts on what foreigners can offer japan, and what japan gives them in return?, do you feel that possibly things from countries you have been to could be applied to japan to improve it?.

This thread is for japanese members to become more involved, sound off and generally have your say about japan and jref, and how jref benefits you and your country.

Begin. 🙂

This is a nice thread, hope you will get a lot of responses. I really hope that there will be more Japanese coming on this website, and that people in here talk to Japanese friends about the website. also maybe something for maciamo, do you advertise on Japanese websites?

for the rest i am Off the topic, will keep an eye on it though! well done Nurizeko

i cant figure out what point of view i want to go with on this subject,

1 side of me says does it matter? the website will still be what it is... not everyone will like it or dislike it...
the other.. well... they are japanese how much could they really care about a site dealing about japanese...

for the americans here.. how many american sites do you go to about american culture?

Well, brother Carlson, one thing that has always struck me, and perhaps some others, is the degree to which many Japanese seem to fixate on what others think about them. I agree that it doesn't really matter, but based on past experience I believe there is a sector of the population who would find it interesting.

As to what detail and in what depth we as a group tend to discuss Japan, while there is a select small subset of the JREF posters who do go into some detail and depth, overall it isn't really that detailed or deep, nor do the majority of posters have anything but the most tenuous of relations with the country or the most fleeting of associations and slimmest base of knowledge or experience to draw upon. Speculation and conjecture rule the day around here.

I do know a few Japanese that occasionally visit the forum, but most do not feel confident enough to post.

Focusing upon similarities between cultures too much
->too dull
Focusing upon differences between cultures too much
->too stupid like Mushi Kking, a card game popular between Japanese kids, which is stronger, a beetle or a stag beetle.

I just want a mod policy to leave something or messages, no need detailed explanaiton, when you delet posts.

I have tried to get my japanese friends to visit most don't really care. They say it is interesting but that is all.

I am going to assume they have better things to do wit htheir busy lives than worry about this website. I am not downing the site but many Japanese are very busy which is probably why we do not see too many signing up. Also it seems that only if they want to learn english they will visit this site. If they feel it will be useful.

Hmm.......maybe the few japanese members aren't confident to post what the really feel. Another factor is that they may not be condfident about their English. And I also feel that it's more of a cultural thing, most of us know by now that most Japanese people are not the kind to argue their opinions. But I really don't know. :?

Ma Cherie said:
Hmm.......maybe the few japanese members aren't confident to post what the really feel. Another factor is that they may not be condfident about their English. And I also feel that it's more of a cultural thing, most of us know by now that most Japanese people are not the kind to argue their opinions. But I really don't know. :?

I think that they might not post 1) because they are not confident about their English skills, but even more because 2) Japanese culture does not encourage to voice one's opinion or debate, or even do differently from other Japanese. So a good deal of the active Japanese members who post here are the exceptions rather than the rule. They may live abroad (like misa.j or Eisuke), or be more outspoken than average (pipokun :p )

I really enjoy being a member of this forum. I'm not sure how often the Japanese who live in Japan find it, though.
It's kind of funny, but I feel that it's easy to have special interests or perspective on what is said about your native country when you are an outsider.

Although I often find myself being drawn to non-Japan-related topics, there are always discussions going that are intriguing because of the knowlegeble and intelligent members here.

And overall, this forum is a fun place and more Japanese should sign up!
nurizeko said:
how jref benefits you and your country
We'll see in 10 years...

Last edited:
nurizeko said:
...About this website?....im sitting here, at a laptop, with a window to the view of the mountains, in the middle of ome city, and it just occured to me, most japanese have no idea that there is a website out there where mostly foreigners talk about their country, we praise it, we insult it, we pick it apart, we question every aspect of their lives and the world they inhabit, we thoroughly pick apart and put back together and discuss their country in a greater detail they they may have even thought to do themselves, very few countries are scrutinized so thoroughly by a group of people not native to that country and certainly not members of intelligence agencies (at least i hope not...).

I raise my glass to this one.

Damicci said:
I have tried to get my japanese friends to visit most don't really care. They say it is interesting but that is all.
I am going to assume they have better things to do wit htheir busy lives than worry about this website. I am not downing the site but many Japanese are very busy which is probably why we do not see too many signing up. Also it seems that only if they want to learn english they will visit this site. If they feel it will be useful.
I agree with all the above stated reasons. :p The way most Japanese message boards work is to post an opinion, short paragraph 'elaborating' on that, asking how everyone else feels and leaving. That they don't go into a lot of depth on things, particularly argumentation, is an understatement, to say the least -- it just doesn't mean the people don't have opinions or are incredibly concerned about the rest of the worlds views. :=)

Back
Top Bottom