What's new

How advanced is Japan?

But it also leads to a bit of a disposable consumerables society as well. Not the most environmentally friendly place.

To put it simply....Japan is about 2-3 years ahead of the US in most technology....and after being here for only a few days already, it is quite evident.

Their High Speed internet is faster than the US

Cellphones run on faster networks and are all 3G (there are very few US 3G phones)

Cellphone technology is ridiculous....phones with 5 megapixel cameras, fingerprint scanners, HD TV

Cameras are better and cheaper...for example the New Sony Cybershot (13 mp) only about $450. To put that in perspective, US cameras are just getting to the 10 mp area, but are often very expensive and most are often more professional cameras (not your standard digi cam)

All taxis in Tokyo have advanced navigation.

The Robotics industry is so far ahead of anyone else (i.e. ASIMO).

Most arcade games are equipped with a HD screen.

Cellphones work on the subways (even while in the train underground).

The vending machines are crazy!!! And at most you can pay with your cellphone and some with you Pasmo/Suica (japanese subway pass).

THe list goes on.....but basically the Japanese crave the most advanced technology and it engraved in their culture. Take Akihabara for example....a whole district in Tokyo dedicated to technology. There is a 14 floor electronics super store there as well!!!!

It's all subjective... the cell phone market has fancier gadgets, of course.
They have vending machines that talk to you (in several different languages, and even in local dialect as an alternative to standard Japanese!), and with LCD screens that play animations while you're waiting for it to get your drink. And of course the toilets with seat warmers and washlets and whatever other gizmos they've come up with to make your bathroom experience more comfortable.
But I wouldn't say that for other countries the technology isn't THERE, it's more that they're just not using it for that stuff.

I don't think there's really much of a gap in consumer electronics tech anymore, but Japan does a pretty good job anyway of showing off the flashy tech stuff.

By the way I'm not sure I'd say that Japan is that much more advanced than the US in robotics anymore.
I will say that Japan probably has the better foundation of robotics overall as a field, and a much higher concentration of schools and labs devoted to it, but as an example, the US has the DARPA Urban Challenge (Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, etc.) working on systems to autonomously pilot a car through traffic, which is some pretty impressive work.

It's all subjective...

But I wouldn't say that for other countries the technology isn't THERE, it's more that they're just not using it for that stuff.

I have to agree with you 🙂

I think many are US patents ( some inventions contributed by immigrants from aroud the world - brain drain ).

Today it is a city noted for its preservation of traditional culture. Long Considered one of Japan's most prestigious universities, kyoto offers a wide range of courses for EAP students who have native or near-native Japanese language ability.
=========================
Susa8
Foreclosed Homes

I like the vending machine that talks in a variety of different languages and Japanese dialects. It is so funny.🙂

I can't believe that in a thread like this no one has mentioned toilets yet!
Post number 28, get those glasses checked next time your out...
It's all subjective... the cell phone market has fancier gadgets, of course.
They have vending machines that talk to you (in several different languages, and even in local dialect as an alternative to standard Japanese!), and with LCD screens that play animations while you're waiting for it to get your drink. And of course the toilets with seat warmers and washlets and whatever other gizmos they've come up with to make your bathroom experience more comfortable.

I don't think there's really much of a gap in consumer electronics tech anymore, but Japan does a pretty good job anyway of showing off the flashy tech stuff.

By the way I'm not sure I'd say that Japan is that much more advanced than the US in robotics anymore.
I will say that Japan probably has the better foundation of robotics overall as a field, and a much higher concentration of schools and labs devoted to it, but as an example, the US has the DARPA Urban Challenge (Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, etc.) working on systems to autonomously pilot a car through traffic, which is some pretty impressive work.

I want a Lexus

While the financial world is crashing (except for China, which is pretty much insulated from the world banking system), I thought it would be nice to show up those greedy Wall Street bankers who caused this mess. I was thinking of getting a Lexus. This one would do nicely. 😊
lfar08_041600-1.jpg

Lexus is one over-priced Toyota even though they tinker with the exterior design and some mechanical components. If I am going to shell out the cash for a Toyota, sorry, a Lexus, I would go for the real thing like Bimmer or Merc.

The supercar pictured would be expensive--over US$200,000, but there aren't any for sale. Lexus only built a couple of working prototypes.

Anyway, if we were going to buy a car today, we wouldn't buy a supercar. No, we would conscientiously pick a hybrid or an eco-diesel to help preserve our planet. Lexus already has a hybrid and BMW and Mercedes are just about to introduce their hybrids. All 3 companies have diesel powered cars. So which to choose. All other things being equal, you might choose Lexus because the resale value of a Lexus is higher than the other 2.

However, I wouldn't spend that much money on a car. Being a sensible person, I'd pick this year's car of the year. It's a Subaru and will take you to ski slopes, beaches, lakes with no problem.

You gotta try this commercial (try not see):

http://www.sexysubaru.ca/index2.php?lang=en

Last edited:
Talking about cell phones they are little bit more advanced than most other countries. Depends also where you live, big cities are advanced, but rural areas feel less advanced. Depends on point of view.
So true. But some places do take advantage of new technology. Like some restaurants have a bending machines that take your order in the front entrance and you just hand over your ticket to the restaurant work and get your food in a few minutes. It's just like drive thru but a machine takes your order.

Cellular phones probably beat out any other country's, with their Internet capabilities, video and still picture photography, TV and radio functions, ability to pay with IR scans, a plethora of (annoying) phone chimes/songs, dictionaries, calculator functions, etc..

All available on high end Nokias all over the world!

Mobile phones:
The gadgetry on Japanese mobile phones is not unique to Japan at all, although the USA seems to lag the world somewhat in this respect. Not only do Nokia and Samsung make phones with all the capabilities of Japanese phones, most 3G Japanese phones run on the Symbian OS from Britain.

Internet:
Extremely fast and reliable. This is probably because the cables are just strung up on the ugly poles lining every street, making installation and maintenance a doddle. However, Japanese internet *services* are still woeful. For example, 'internet banking' is just a means to send a request to a human who presses buttons on their computer. It's not really automated. And payees need to be specified two weeks in advance by *post* ! In Britain, internet services are getting very slick. For example, last year I applied for a replacement driving license *from Japan* on the net. The system looked up my photo and signature from my passport records, printed out my licence and mailed it to me.

Vending machines: plentiful, noisy and colourful doesn't mean technologically advanced. But I like being able to use my Suica card. The 'London Suica' (The Oyster) will soon be used in this way too.

Cash machines: when I arrived here 5 years ago, only a few accepted foreign cards, and nearly all closed at 9/10pm. In general, the banking system in Japan doesn't use technology very well. One hardly needs cash in Britain now.

Taxis: sat navs aren't exactly high tech. They're available in Britain too, but most taxi drivers know where they're going.

TV: uptake of digital TV still in Japan still low. Digital services / TV on demand not in place. Plus Europe has had Teletext for nearly 30 years, nothing similar exists in Japan yet.

I think the main difference is not the advanced state of the techology, it's the installation and maintenance which make the difference. In this at least, Japan excels. Nothing ever seems to be broken.

I think the main difference is not the advanced state of the techology, it's the installation and maintenance which make the difference. In this at least, Japan excels. Nothing ever seems to be broken.

Amen to that. I think you hit the nail on the head. The maintenance and quality assurance are very much part of the technology. As for mobile application, Europe does have the gadgets, but the market penetration of advanced functionalities is minimal, compared to Japan & S. Korea (from what I hear), because the service is not there. In Europe cell phones are still pretty much no-frills talk and SMSs.

Take TGV for example, what's the point of having a high speed railway network if 30-min delays are not uncommon? I was on the road last several weeks, and my Thalys got delayed 50min from Brussels to Paris. TGVs are useless piece of **** compared to Shinkansen.

Iida g9

I'm tempted to get this new cellphone by KDDI because it has a keypad and felica chip (for e-money) that the iPhone lacks. But I'm stuck with a 2-yr contract with Docomo. So I'll have to hang on to my trusty Sharp keitai at least until next year when Docomo starts rolling out their 4th generation (4G) phones.

kddiiidag9gsmcdmadualmodelphone1-1.jpg

Details here:KDDI G9 | iTech News Net

DigInfo 2009

An overview without comment on some of the latest developments in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honda Develops New Personal Mobility Device: U3-X
Honda has developed a new personal mobility technology, U3-X. It is a compact experimental device that fits comfortably between the riders legs, to provide free movement in all directions just as in human walking forward, backward, side-to-side, and diagonally. Honda will continue research and development of the device including experiments in a real-world environment to verify the practicality of the device.
This new personal mobility device makes it possible to adjust speed and move, turn and stop in all directions when the rider leans the upper body to shift body weight. This was achieved through application of advanced technologies including Hondas balance control technology, which was developed through the robotics research of ASIMO, Hondas bipedal humanoid robot, and the worlds first* omni-directional driving wheel system (Honda Omni Traction Drive System, or HOT Drive System), which enables movement in all directions, including not only forward and backward, but also directly to the right and left and diagonally. In addition, this compact size and one-wheel-drive personal mobility device was designed to be friendly to the user and people around it by making it easier for the rider to reach the ground from the footrest and placing the rider on roughly the same eye level as other people or pedestrians.
Key features of U3-X:
Free movement just as in human walking
1.Device control featuring application of balance control technology cultivated through ASIMO research:
The incline sensor detects the incline of the device based on the weight shift of the rider and determines the riders intention in terms of the direction and speed. Based on the data, precise control is applied to return the device to an upright position, which achieves smooth and agile movements and simple operation by weight shift only.
2.HOT Drive System (Omni-directional driving wheel system):
Honda developed the worlds first wheel structure which enables movement in all directions including forward, backward, side-to-side and diagonally. Multiple small-diameter motor-controlled wheels were connected in-line to form one large-diameter wheel. By moving the large-diameter wheel, the device moves forward and backward, and by moving small-diameter wheels, the device moves side-to-side. By combining these movements the device moves diagonally.
Compact size which fit between the users legs
3.Compact and innovative package:
The combination of the balance control technology and the HOT Drive System enabled the one-wheel style compact and innovative package of the device. In addition, the device adopts a light-weight monocoque body in which the foldable seat, footrests and body cover that also function as the frame are stored in the body of the device, achieving highly portable convenience.
Key specifications of the experimental model:
- Lengthツ×Widthツ×Height(mm) = 315ツ×160ツ×650
- Weight = less than 10kg
- Battery Type = Lithium ion battery
- Operation time (with fully charged battery) = 1 hour
* Based on Hondas internal research

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom