What's new

Help with causative sentence

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
Guys,
Happy new year.
In the following passage from a story Called mokichi no neko, is a causative form of 撃つ. I would like to know if my interpretation works well. There is a part also that says けものというけものは。Does that literally mean "a beast called beast"

Here is the passage:
むかし、おるところに茂吉という鉄砲うちがありました。鉄砲うたせたらたいしたうでで、茂吉のもの字をきいただけでも、けものというけものはすかんすかんとにげだすほどでした。

My interpretation is.
Long ago there was a shooter called Mokichi.
He was so skilled when shooting, that just hearing the mo of mokichi would cause the beast to runaway as fast as it could.

よろしくお願いします。

Thanks mikesan. Could you do that with other nouns 鳥という鳥for example "all the birds"

I don't see why not. I don't think it is a usage you find much in daily conversation, though.

The XYZのXの字 is a pattern you find in common idiomatic usage and would be a good one to remember. You usually hear it as XYZのXの字も知らない. The implication is that... regarding XYZ...the person being spoken of can't even begin to spell XYZ, and they sure as hell don't know anything about XYZ.

In addition, it can be used also for inanimate things or even absolute concepts such like 本という本はすべて読んだ or 宗教という宗教をすべて否定した (there are some exceptions, though).
You can think this structure as "animals that are called 'animal' (= all the animals)"or along the line.

is a causative form of 撃つ
Exactly.

Wow. I always thought NというN means "a role model among N/ a champion of N" like 男という男 = すごく男らしい. Well i guess that was "all the men" all along.

In addition, it can be used also for inanimate things or even absolute concepts such like 本という本はすべて読んだ or 宗教という宗教をすべて否定した (there are some exceptions, though).
You can think this structure as "animals that are called 'animal' (= all the animals)"or along the line.

Exactly.
Thanks. I will keep an eye out for this in the f
Wow. I always thought NというN means "a role model among N/ a champion of N" like 男という男 = すごく男らしい. Well i guess that was "all the men" all along.
That's what I love about this forum. You can learn so much.
The pattern 字も知らない that mikesan stated is very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom